SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs BADGERS Friday Game Thread

AZSIOUX

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game last night and it was definatly a great game. I didn't see what happened to Skille, so I can't comment on that. Carlson's injury was that when he was out near the blue line and somebody came in and clipped him and he fell to the ice? That's the only instance I can think of...

Also a question for the fans that watched it on tv... between the second and third intermission I could see that they were interviewing Oshie just off the ice... the entire time he was being interviewed the Badger fans were being really rude and taunting him... I believe they were saying a$$hole, but can't be certain. Did anyone see this on tv?

Let's hope for another great game tonight, with another Sioux win!!!

yes, it was halarious and the announcers made a few comments about it while doing the interview. great atmosphere and maybe a bit over the top but what can you do? nat a dan thing and oshie was loving it......azzzzzzhole, azzzzzhole

we had the last laugh on friday though

I thought Porter's hit on Klubertanz was legal. He did not stick his leg/knee out into Klubertanz, but did seem to lean his body. I don't think that was a penalty from what I saw.

Finley just about wripped Skille's arm off. Funny that there's a way to do it legally, but there is. Joe played a very solid game. Second funniest point of the night was the comment about him skating while dragging 2 plows. I, too, thought he looked a little slower than the rest. That's ok.

Porter got KK with more hip than anything. It was close but clean.

Skille? I'm guessing broken elbow by the weird angle of his arm in the jersey as he was writhing around on the ice. He didn't feel too good.

What happened to Carlson? I saw him leave the ice once earlier and then try to return.

The Kozek/Watkins/Porter line was all Porter tonight. The other two lads need to pick it up.

Is TJ out there with Towes to keep the defensive focus (constant dogging) off of Jonathan?

Brad Miller needs to take that last step and believe in himself. He's doing everything right mechanically; he just needs to relax and react and use that speed and soft touch.

I wondered what happened to Hunter Bishop for a chunk of the game. Very glad to see him play later in the third.

Never! And anyone who puts redwing77 on ignore is missing a lot of free entertainment. :lol:

Thanks.... I think. ???

Shawn-O- Thanks. :silly:

xxxwhatever - You know what? Put me on ignore. I don't care. Just do me a favor and stop insulting other posters. If I am wrong, tell me I'm wrong and where I erred. I'll admit fault. I have in the past. But if the point of your post is to simply put me down, then I suggest you simply ignore my posts and save yourself the "aggravation" and the rest of us posters the pettiness.

dagies- The Porter hit was shown on replay on TV. It was a thigh to thigh check. It definitely wasn't knee to knee (which is a penalty). I couldn't tell if Porter lifted his leg into the check or whether or not it was mostly hip or whatever. It also did not look like Klubertanz was all that injured because the camera caught him standing up and looking around for the ref and he did return late in the game. If anything, I suspect he has a nice bruise there.

I guess I don't know how one can get a bruise and the other can skate on without much trouble? They both hit in the same spot but only Klubertanz seemed to get injured.

Didn't see the Carlson hit.

I don't remember who corralled Skille, but I suspect it was Zach Jones. He basically was leaning against Skille's left side as Skille was trying to push Jones off of him. Finley comes in out of nowhere and hunched down to take a shoulder on shoulder hit on Skille. Skille and Jones are so close together that the momentum from the hit twists Skille into Jones and his right arm out, across, and away from his body. I can't tell if it was a shoulder or an elbow injury but he was hanging his shoulder down low when he left the ice. Blind guess means dislocated shoulder. Finley got a mammoth hit on Skille at the "right" angle to produce an injury. Finley was definitely not headhunting. I guess if SHepherd did feel bad for Skille he probably could have called a charging minor on Finley, but that's just pulling a Don Adam and making it up as I go.

Dagies- I'm not sure I agree entirely with your assessment of Chorney. He did fall down a bit, but he really did a good job in the offensive zone. He nearly beat Elliot backhand from between the faceoff circles at one point.

What I am interested in is this: There were two breakaways (one failed - no shot) and several odd man rushes in the 2nd and 3rd period. Did anyone catch who got beat in order for these events to take place?

RW77, I don't dismiss that Chorney made some good plays last night. I just don't think he played as consistently as he usually does, and for every really good play he seemed, to me, to have some sub-par plays that evened out his whole performance. I could be wrong, I know that. Just the way it seemed to me. Chorney is a heck of a player and I expect tonite he will have a better game, if only in my eyes!

My thoughts.

Well officiated game. Not perfect, but one of the best I have seen. Fabians penalty leading to a goal was soft BUT a text book penalty. Good job Deker Shepard... (I have never said this)

On Skille's goal Phil was out of position after Finley made a good play to force Skille out wide. It was a nice shot, but the opportunity only arose after Phil gave him the opening. Other than that Phil was about perfect.

CSTV announcers were 10 times better than Fox-Wisco.

Saw alot of lines 1 and 2, less of 3 and 4 due to TV timeouts, normally we will see 3 and 4 more.

Lee / Chorney, alot of breakdowns, but Chorney recovered well.

Genoway had some sloppy plays, I was not impressed, I think we will see Vandevelde or Martens tonight.

Bishop and Miller and speedsters and always hustle, they did some great back-checking.

Zajac - fiesty...

I've said this before, but Kozek and Watkins do NOT play well together, I would bring Miller up to line 2 with Porter and Watkins (2 speedy playmakers, with a hardnosed sniper). And put Kozek with Fabian, because that looked so good last year (and Kozek despite his size loves to check).

A healthy Forney will really help in point production.

TJ, JT, and Duncan were great. But TJ what's up with the missed opportunities, Missed 2 passes that came across the front, another from behind the net and couldn't finish after the penalty. That's normally a TJ hat trick.

Toews shot is soooooooooo hard that even the best goalie in the nation seldom prevents a rebound, therefore crash.

Poor coaching / decision making at the end of the second. Could have had 5x3 for 30 seconds with a face off in Wiscos end, instead 1 bad decision after another.

UND was clearly the better team.

Elliot is human.

My thoughts.

Genoway had some sloppy plays, I was not impressed, I think we will see Vandevelde or Martens tonight.

I've said this before, but Kozek and Watkins do NOT play well together, I would bring Miller up to line 2 with Porter and Watkins (2 speedy playmakers, with a hardnosed sniper). And put Kozek with Fabian, because that looked so good last year (and Kozek despite his size loves to check).

I have to respectfully disagree with you, althought maybe not his best game of the year last night Genoway is great with the puck and I don't think Hak will take him out of the line up.

I am not sure why you don't like Kozek with that line since he got an assit on Porters goal last night. I think that line will stay together they almost have to because of familiarity and that they are also getting the points. In three games not too bad.

Kozek 0-3-3 points

Watkins 1-1-2 points

Porter 1-1-2 points

In comparison:

Oshie 1-3-4 points

Toews 3-2-5 points

Duncan 2-2-4 ponts

I think its early in the season and we shouldn't get too restless.

(oh My god the Gophers finally scored a touch down.)

My thoughts.

Well officiated game. Not perfect, but one of the best I have seen. Fabians penalty leading to a goal was soft BUT a text book penalty. Good job Deker Shepard... (I have never said this)

On Skille's goal Phil was out of position after Finley made a good play to force Skille out wide. It was a nice shot, but the opportunity only arose after Phil gave him the opening. Other than that Phil was about perfect.

CSTV announcers were 10 times better than Fox-Wisco.

Saw alot of lines 1 and 2, less of 3 and 4 due to TV timeouts, normally we will see 3 and 4 more.

Lee / Chorney, alot of breakdowns, but Chorney recovered well.

Bishop and Miller and speedsters and always hustle, they did some great back-checking.

Zajac - fiesty...

A healthy Forney will really help in point production.

TJ, JT, and Duncan were great. But TJ what's up with the missed opportunities, Missed 2 passes that came across the front, another from behind the net and couldn't finish after the penalty. That's normally a TJ hat trick.

Toews shot is soooooooooo hard that even the best goalie in the nation seldom prevents a rebound, therefore crash.

Poor coaching / decision making at the end of the second. Could have had 5x3 for 30 seconds with a face off in Wiscos end, instead 1 bad decision after another.

UND was clearly the better team.

Elliot is human.

I don't disagree about Genoway making some sloppy plays. I was super impressed with his speed though. I guess I just didn't realize how quick he was. ???

I concur with your views on UND being the better team. I thought it was obvious all night, especially in the first period of play. The puck seemed to always be in the Badger zone.

UW is going to come out tonight with intensity and anger. UND knocked their top two players, minus Elliot, out for some time. To top it off, they lost a tough one to a rival on the night they hung their banner.... Oh yea, it's homecoming weekend too. My point is that UND had better match their energy early.

GO SIOUX!!!

A guy in the stands (Badger fan) noticed I was wearing my Sioux Hockey sweatshirt last night at the game. He was pretty decent and asked me who "that really big guy for UND" was. I told him it was Finley and we talked about how big he was, etc. Not two minutes later Big Joe knocks the home town boy Skille out of the game. The guy looks at me and says, "Boy, you weren't kidding, huh?"

Tough to see ANYBODY get hurt.... Joe's a big boy though.

A guy in the stands (Badger fan) noticed I was wearing my Sioux Hockey sweatshirt last night at the game. He was pretty decent and asked me who "that really big guy for UND" was. I told him it was Finley and we talked about how big he was, etc. Not two minutes later Big Joe knocks the home town boy Skille out of the game. The guy looks at me and says, "Boy, you weren't kidding, huh?"

Tough to see ANYBODY get hurt.... Joe's a big boy though.

I think that Skille's accident was a freak accident that could have happened with any player hitting him like that. Somehow his arm got caught and that twisted it or something.

I'm hoping Skille isn't hurt too bad and he gets back out on the ice first thing Monday.

does anyone know why bishop wasnt out on the ice for a good amount of time? i think he was back out there at the end though. i like what i saw from genoway. pretty nice to have a player that can fill a forward role or a d spot if need be. i would like to see vandevelde tonight. just dont know who i would sit though?? im guessing either miller,bishop or genoway but i am liking miller and bishop, hell genoway too.....if vande does get in tonight i hope he takes advantage of his time and notches a point.

without a few of their best players, the sioux may have a chance to jump out early. elliot really got challenged high glove side last night. great game plan for the sioux. keep going there and maybe that will open up another hole if he figures that out. hes damn good but is human like siouxnami said. phil was solid. i have not problem with that goal he gave up. just took a slightly bad angle and got beat. skille is no scrub himself. nice shot. phil is playing well so far through 3 games, 3-0 and hasnt given up more than 2 goals in each game. has not been peppered yet and thats thanks to a strong D core. finley made some nice hits last night. great to see. hes only gona get better with each game. the DOT line was smooth as ever. just didnt bury any but thats ok when the others pick up the slack. oshie will bury 1 or 2 tonight, he is due. great overall road win vs a very good team. now lets go for the sweep and get a early 4 points in the wcha standings

Just got back to Brew town from Mad town. Way to go boyz!! My random thoughts without seeing all the other posts were that we did not use the big ice enough. Not many cross ice passes. I thought the D was a little ragged. Bina did not look that sharp and Lee passing the puck to Toews with three BADgers on him and one forechecking Lee leaves lots of guys open. I thought the BADgers got away with lots of chippy stuff towards the whistles. Two points. Lets go for the broom tomorrow.

I totally agree that we didn't use the ice. I can live without the passing, but the shots from the wing are the easiest for a goalie to save. Oshie was the only player with a step that went to the net and he drew a penalty. Everyone else shot. Not a hard save for Elliot. I do think we need to keep shots low and hope for some rebound garbage from Elliot.

I also thought that the Badgers got away with a lot of holds in this game.

I believe that Genoway playing on forward last night is a testimate of his worth, the kid can fly.

Chay is impressive.

At least it's not only our names that they are screwing up...

Not to be outdone, Jake Skille (Madison, Wis.) found the back of the net to tie the game 2-2 on a fast break during a Badger power play.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sport_news/mhky/h...mp;storyid=9387

You'd think being the leading, returning scorer, they could at least get his name right...

(oh My god the Gophers finally scored a touch down.)

I hope Mason was taking notes ??? Wait, who am I kidding. If Mason were head coach of the Gopher Hockey team, the Gophers would be about as good as UMD or CC year in and year out. You know, not bad enough to be last place but will never be burdened by being #1 either.

I agree with you Goon, about the second line. They've been producing, but most of it has been done rather quietly. I mean, Zajac bursts onto the scene with 2 goals and then the game winner. Porter has been playing LIGHTS OUT lately. When you have a guy who is playing probably the best hockey of his career (or at least his DI career) it tends to drown out the linemates. I think that's what is happening to Watkins and Kozek.

As for Genoway, I've been reading a few posts here and there and brianvf got me thinking about that fourth line. Specifically the position of Center. Among those listed as probable fourth liners are:

Forney

Miller

Martens

Genoway

Bishop

Zajac

Vandevelde

Of those listed, we've only seen Martens and Genoway play center. Genoway can play center but is mainly a defenseman. That leaves us really with a ? at 4th line Center. I'd LOVE a line of Miller-Bishop-Vandevelde (Zajac's gotta move up to the third line I think), but I don't think any of those three are centers.