SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs BADGERS Friday Game Thread

AZSIOUX

Makes sense, AZ. He was listed on Salmon Arm's roster as a dual role player at defense and center.

I hope Bishop isn't banged up. If Vandevelde needs time to acclimate to the college game, I'm not sure (and I'll get flamed for saying this) breaking him in vs. Wisconsin would be a good idea. On the flip side, maybe a high paced, uptempo game like Saturday night's game is going to be may be just the thing he needs. I'll trust Hakstol's judgement on that.

I really liked the speed tonight's lineup showed. We need to keep it up tommorrow.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the announcers giving the too much credit during a series of the game. It was nice to hear but a little extreme. Yes we were quick but it didnt have that nice of a tempo through the whole game. Sioux need to work on some key plays to move the puck up ice, definitely more precision passing, and some open ice hits to keep their opponent on edge. Great win though! Talking about a number one espn highlight if oshie's goal went in tonight!? He had both defense and the goalie beat!

Once again Dunky get a key goal!

GO SIOUX!!!

This was a hell of a game. I don't know about anyone else who watched the game, but I thought the boys looked like they were playing in mid season form. They need a little more Blais conditioning so they don't look so gassed in the 3rd period, but from a "team" aspect all the lines looked like they are really playing together way beyond the 4th game of the year. As everybody else posted, the Badgers announcers could NOT stop talking and actually bragging about the Sioux team speed. Like someone else said, they have a LOT of similarities with the '97 speed kills team. Lammy looked great! All the forwards were flying and our defense had one mistake that cost us a break away, but they were rock solid in the 3rd period.

Ok, other various thoughts:

What compels someone with admittedly limited hockey knowledge to convey their thoughts and analysis of a sport they never played? God, I hate the internet!

That would make for a pretty friggin' boring message board, now wouldn't it?

Got to watch the game at Senser's on the big screen, even had sound. Met a nice Sioux fan brother. Good night all around.

Now to hockey:

I thought Bishop was missing for a while, but then I thought I saw him late in the game on the ice too. I did see him skating off after the first period and wondered if he was testing his legs or his equipment...

I believe Oshie's penalty on Skille was bogus. From what I saw on the FSN replay, it appeared to me that Oshie hit Skille from the side, and as Skille was getting pushed off the puck, he little-old-ladied Oshie's right arm and pulled him down. Skille did it very skillfully and held the arm and Oshie tight to his body so it couldn't be seen. That's what I thought I saw, anyway.

Oshie was in a lot of scrums tonite. Maybe Bucky was trying to get under his skin.

Humorous point of the night. Early first period and 2 Badgers take Big Joe Finley to the ice. First one in, of all people, is Brad Miller, pushing Dowell around. Moments later Fabian looked like he wanted to go with Dowell. Something must have happened. Looked like Fabian even punched the linesman accidentally, but it was hard to tell.

Miller was very present, especially early in the game. He looks like he belongs.

I wonder if Genoway is so good the coaches feel they can't afford to sit him. He'll either play D, or if not he'll take a forward spot. The guy is fun to watch, but if passes the puck in front of the net one more time I hope Hak makes him do Herbies until he pukes.

Bina looked excellent out there tonite.

I thought Lee and Chorney looked so-so. Lee didn't seem to play with a lot of authority early on. He did have a beautiful shot on Elliot in the 3rd period that merits mentioning. With most of the players in the right half of the zone in front of Elliot. Lee skates the puck along the blue line toward the left side where there was open ice. Just as he's at the halfway point he launches a beautiful wrister that Elliot couldn't see until it deflects high off the crossbar. Oh, that was a great play.

Chorney seemed to have a tough night. He made some good plays but seemed to fall a lot, and coughed up a couple of pucks. He's a better player than that and I would expect tomorrow will be a better story.

I thought Porter's hit on Klubertanz was legal. He did not stick his leg/knee out into Klubertanz, but did seem to lean his body. I don't think that was a penalty from what I saw.

Finley just about wripped Skille's arm off. Funny that there's a way to do it legally, but there is. Joe played a very solid game. Second funniest point of the night was the comment about him skating while dragging 2 plows. I, too, thought he looked a little slower than the rest. That's ok.

Porter and Duncan both beat Elliot high glove side. Coincidence? I don't know.

What a great shot by both guys. I really can appreciate Porter's he had to collect the puck from his skates. In one motion he stops the puck with his skates and positions his body to take the accurate shot, which beats Elliot. Nice feed from Kozek too.

Speaking of that line, last week I was scratching my head about whether we could keep the DOT line together because I was afraid the PKW line might not cut it. Tonite they were very effective. Porter looked great out there. He seemed in control, and played faster than the game.

Watkins seemed to have a solid game too. He had a nice first period attempt where he patiently skated the puck out front between the circles before letting go a great wrist shot.

Speaking of wrist shots, Skille's goal was something else. Heck of a shot. I liked the breakout pass (missed shot) he'd taken earlier that lead to Oshie? getting a strong chance for a goal. Had he gotten his blade on that puck as he fell that would have been one of his all time great goals.

I have to agree with RW77 on the 3rd period. I thought the Sioux dominated the first, won the second and get beat badly in the 3rd. I was hoping we could just hang on for the tie. But in OT the team seemed to take it to Bucky, and that was great to see.

Also great to see was the excellent effort by Zajac. He collected a mistake behind the net, did not panic, carried it around the net on his backhand and took a shot. While that wasn't that tough for Elliot to stop, Elliot didn't control the rebound. Tons of traffic and confusion in front, and in a split second Zajac managed to get another backhand on the puck right as he got smoked to the ice. Too late, however, as the puck flew past Elliot's far side into the goal.

How nice is it to have a lower line guy that can make an opponent pay for a mistake at a critical point in a game?

Sioux were faster than the Badgers. I do think the D has some shoring up to do.

Lammy seemed to play confident and play well, again.

Key to the game? I don't know for sure how many penalties the Sioux had, but unlike past years it seemed we weren't killing 8-9 penalties. And for a couple of the pk's, Bucky was nice enough to take a penalty as well. I wonder if this really wasn't the difference. We played a lot more even strength hockey and didn't wear our best guys out killing penalties.

Stream of consciousness over.

What compels someone with admittedly limited hockey knowledge to convey their thoughts and analysis of a sport they never played? God, I hate the internet!

Sorry, some of us just enjoy talking about it. Know that when you see my posts you can just skip them. Or better yet, put me on "ignore".

chorney had one of the best defensive plays of the night when he beat the sconnie player to the side of then net on a break, the announcers even said when the officials make a video on how to defend that is a textbook defensive play on how to take a man out legally

fkn idiots..geez...3 f-ups in 1 period..wow they really did their homework

zach beaverson

jeff finley

don hakstol

:silly:

why the hell not, the announcers cap the night off with a great play by TRAVIS zajac :lol:

nice job cstv...only 4 wrong names...... ???

Just got back to Brew town from Mad town. Way to go boyz!! My random thoughts without seeing all the other posts were that we did not use the big ice enough. Not many cross ice passes. I thought the D was a little ragged. Bina did not look that sharp and Lee passing the puck to Toews with three BADgers on him and one forechecking Lee leaves lots of guys open. I thought the BADgers got away with lots of chippy stuff towards the whistles. Two points. Lets go for the broom tomorrow.

I don't think someone has to have played a sport to be knowledgable in it, or to pontificate about it. You know, Peter Gammons, Chris Mortensen, those types.

I agree with you. My poorly conveyed point was that on the internet, too many people think they are Peter Gammons or Chris Mortenson.

It looked to me like Skille sustained a separated shoulder...his arm was in a bad position when finley hit him, and you could see it just flap around after he got hit. My best guess would be that he'll be out for 2-3 months. But it would be a lot less if it wasn't the shoulder. Either way, bad news for Wisconsin, as it looked like it was UND vs. Jack Skille tonight.

I'm going with a broken arm for Skille. And the penalty on Oshie was bogus. He knocks a player off the puck and goes to the box? BS...all in all, got to give credit to the Badger FSN announcers...a few missteps but they are lightworlds ahead of dumbass and dumbass.

Just got back from Madtown and offer the following observations from my view in the nosebleed section:

Genoway is fast.... really fast. I didn't know how fast until I saw him skate live.

The "DOT" line was head and shoulders better than than Bucky. They just can't skate with Toews and Oshie.

I obviously saw Skille get hurt, but didn't see who hit him. It looked really bad and I'd be shocked if he didn't break something.

While the score didn't indicate it, I think the Sioux are a far superior hockey team.

Short and sweet... I'm tired. Great game and I look forward to the sweep tomorrow night.

Im taking it this comment was for me lol. I love the fact that I make an opinion and you come back and make some professional remarks, awesome. Im from Grand Forks, I have played hockey for like 25 years just for your info. Im not saying you have to agree with me, but hey, they are a young team and by mid season will be probably be the strongest team out there. I just thought what I thought and said what I said. Relax man! No more Jack D for you!

Im taking it this comment was for me lol. I love the fact that I make an opinion and you come back and make some professional remarks, awesome. Im from Grand Forks, I have played hockey for like 25 years just for your info. Im not saying you have to agree with me, but hey, they are a young team and by mid season will be probably be the strongest team out there. I just thought what I thought and said what I said. Relax man! No more Jack D for you!

I joined this board (as opposed to USCHO) as it's a friendly fan-based board. I would recommend that if someone says something you don't agree with that you politely point that out.

The person that posts the snarky comment looks like the dummy.

I was at the game last night and it was definatly a great game. I didn't see what happened to Skille, so I can't comment on that. Carlson's injury was that when he was out near the blue line and somebody came in and clipped him and he fell to the ice? That's the only instance I can think of...

Also a question for the fans that watched it on tv... between the second and third intermission I could see that they were interviewing Oshie just off the ice... the entire time he was being interviewed the Badger fans were being really rude and taunting him... I believe they were saying a$$hole, but can't be certain. Did anyone see this on tv?

Let's hope for another great game tonight, with another Sioux win!!!