SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs BADGERS Friday Game Thread

AZSIOUX

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hak, speaking on post-game, calls Porter "our best player tonight". Also calls out Zajac for his poise. "Hey, we had three guys on top of the crease. That's what you're supposed to do when you're playing a good defensive team like Wisconsin."

The most impressive player, and most surprisingly good, in my opinion was Robbie Bina. He's got to be back to 100%, and made absolutely no mistakes tonight. Great job!!

Good win, fun game to watch.

Truthfully I hope Skille and Carlson aren't too injured, they're great players.

The FSNA announcers were VERY complimentary of UND players. It was almost like they thought if they were homers they'd be jinxing the team. It was fairly refreshing, and I didn't mind watching it at all.

BE GREEDY TOMORROW!!!

Hak, speaking on post-game, calls Porter "our best player tonight". Also calls out Zajac for his poise. "Hey, we had three guys on top of the crease. That's what you're supposed to do when you're playing a good defensive team like Wisconsin."

That REALLY impressed me (that and the goal). I was REALLY impressed by how often we tried to take it to the net.

Ok, other various thoughts:

1. Isn't it kindof strange that Toews is tied for the team lead in goals... with Darcy Zajac? No matter. I've ABSOLUTELY LOVING the fact that we're scoring on all 4 lines. I don't recall the last time that there really wasn't that much of a drop in play between our first and our fourth lines. Miller and Bishop were flying too!

2. I agree that Porter was the best on the ice tonight, but I'm not really impressed with his hit on Klubertanz (although I did like the way he got up and looked around. It gave me "warm fuzzies" of red and white number 10). Speaking of hits... I haven't been to USCHO yet. I'm wondering how many Badger fans are going to call Finley's hit on Skille dirty. I give the over/under of 5 on that one. It was a NASTY hit but it was perfectly legal. I hope Skille is alright. After the Hagemo incident, I'm always a bit concerned whenever someone goes down holding an elbow or a shoulder.

3. I'm really impressed with our team speed. We were FAST. UW rubes were VERY quick to point that out and they pointed it out CONSTANTLY.

4. On a side note, the UW commentators are easier to listen to than the UMN commentators. Yeah, Woog knows more about hockey than Sags, but I don't recall much whining about missed calls by the refs. Every time a Sioux player seemed to hit a Gopher, Masucko would be counted to say "Well, you could have called that one!" or something dumb like that. I guess I was also impressed on how much they respected UND, its players, and its fans as a whole.

5. UND DID get away with some physical hits today, but it is GOOD to see us clearing out the front of the net.

6. I feel bad for Oshie. I really do. Sure, he's contributing and playing hard. He's not playing poorly by any means, but he can't get the puck into the net! That breakaway he had was great but, just like what was going on with him vs. QU, it always seemed to roll off his stick or fly in an unfortunate direction every time.

7. Finley, Bina, and Chorney, IMO, had really good games. Our entire defense looked solid.

8. Downside: 3rd period. I really think the UW commentators and the UND radio announcers gave UND far too much credit during the third period. To me, it seemed like we were always on the defensive during the 3rd period. We REALLY got lucky on that Gorowsky cherry pick. Thank goodness he had a brain fart because that was a Ford breakaway all over again if he could have held onto the puck. UW seems to be a 3rd period hockey team. They allowed UND to dominate pretty much the first two periods (it was slightly more even in the 2nd period) and then seemed to find their game in the third. We'll have to see what happens with Carlson and Skille tommorrow. Klubertanz will be back.

GREAT win for the Sioux! The worst that can happen to us now is a split! That's hardly a downside! Let's go for it again tommorrow!

4. On a side note, the UW commentators are easier to listen to than the UMN commentators. Yeah, Woog knows more about hockey than Sags, but I don't recall much whining about missed calls by the refs. Every time a Sioux player seemed to hit a Gopher, Masucko would be counted to say "Well, you could have called that one!" or something dumb like that. I guess I was also impressed on how much they respected UND, its players, and its fans as a whole.

I agree. UW broadcasting team is pro-Badger, but not to the point where you can't stand to listen to them. They show respect to the other team.

6. I feel bad for Oshie. I really do. Sure, he's contributing and playing hard. He's not playing poorly by any means, but he can't get the puck into the net! That breakaway he had was great but, just like what was going on with him vs. QU, it always seemed to roll off his stick or fly in an unfortunate direction every time.

Oshie will score a ton of goals this season. If he keeps working hard (and he will) he will start getting the bounces and he'll finish in the top 5 in scoring in the league and maybe the nation. He has that little motor in him that never stops turning. The Toews-Oshie-Duncan line is the best in the country, IMHO.

Shouldn't that type of venom be reserved for Goldy Gopher? :silly:

Nice creative work, though! :lol:

I've found myself disliking the stinkin' BADgers with much more vigor the last few years. And I have a lot more respect for the Minnesota fans who post here than the dweebs from Madison.

I've found myself disliking the stinkin' BADgers with much more vigor the last few years. And I have a lot more respect for the Minnesota fans who post here than the dweebs from Madison.

I noticed that they got the "racist mascot" cheer going early in the game. :silly:

I am the opposite. I grew up hating the Badgers with a burning passion. Chris Chelios was a player I loved to hate. So was Bruce Driver. But starting in the early 1990's, Goldy Gopher started to get under my skin. All those biased telecasts on Minnesota Sports Channel (MSC), hearing that stupid Minnesota Rouser over and over and over, hearing their fans talk about 25-year-old Canadians and that whole "Minnesota Pride On Ice" bullcrap :silly:, hearing about how the new Mariucci Arena was a palace and the Old Ralph was a dump, etc. By the mid-1990's, Blais had taken over the program and rebuilt it pretty fast and we started to gain a measure of revenge on the disease-infested little Rodents. :lol: Of course, when they can't win the hockey arguments, they resort to bashing the state of North Dakota, the city of Grand Forks, the academic standards of UND, the fact we aren't D-I in all sports (soon to change), etc. I don't think I've ever heard Badger fans pull this kind of crap on a regular basis.

Sure the Gopher fans on this forum are pretty decent and polite, but go over to USCHO.com and that is where the "Pride On Ice" true believers run around bashing our program. And if you ever go to the Final Five or even a regular season game in Minneapolis, you'll feel the wrath of the Rodents just for having a Sioux jersey on.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

End rant. :sad:

we won, bottom line..great road win, phil was solid again. go for the sweep tomorrow...3-0 and looking for more...zajac 3 goals in games..wow..did bishop get hurt? maybe see vandevelde tomorrow if so?? 1 last miller lite to go down out of a 12er..GO SIOUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I am the opposite. I grew up hating the Badgers with a burning passion. Chris Chelios was a player I loved to hate. So was Bruce Driver. But starting in the early 1990's, Goldy Gopher started to get under my skin. All those biased telecasts on Minnesota Sports Channel (MSC), hearing that stupid Minnesota Rouser over and over and over, hearing their fans talk about 25-year-old Canadians and that whole "Minnesota Pride On Ice" bullcrap :silly:, hearing about how the new Mariucci Arena was a palace and the Old Ralph was a dump, etc. By the mid-1990's, Blais had taken over the program and rebuilt it pretty fast and we started to gain a measure of revenge on the disease-infested little Rodents. :lol:

Sure the fans on this forum are pretty decent and polite, but go over to USCHO.com and that is where the "Pride On Ice" true believers run around bashing our program. And if you ever go to the Final Five or even a regular season game in Minneapolis, you'll feel the wrath of the Rodents just for having a Sioux jersey on.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

End rant. :sad:

I just believe that every team has their good eggs and bad eggs. Some fanbases have dumb traditions ("racist mascots" as an example) as well. This site has had its share of idiot posters from every team. It just seems more visible to us here because the idiots from other teams seem to stand out more. However, I find it hard to make a generalization based upon dumb things like the "racist mascot" chant. I understand that people don't like the Sioux. What I don't like are fans who expect to be respected (and their teams respected as well) and yet they refuse to return the favor. For example, all those posters who call us the Sue, Susies, Soo, or Fighting Halos (Sorry Slap Shot, but I don't like that). You don't have to like the team, but you should respect them enough to spell their name correctly. I doubt many of us would like our names butchered like that if it happened to us on an individual scale.

That's my rant.

In any case, I'm not sure if I'd change the lineup any tommorrow. The only question I have for all of you is this:

Chay Genoway played today... who did he play for? I recall seeing all of those who were listed as defensemen play today. Does this mean Chay played as a forward?

I just believe that every team has their good eggs and bad eggs. Some fanbases have dumb traditions ("racist mascots" as an example) as well. This site has had its share of idiot posters from every team. It just seems more visible to us here because the idiots from other teams seem to stand out more. However, I find it hard to make a generalization based upon dumb things like the "racist mascot" chant. I understand that people don't like the Sioux. What I don't like are fans who expect to be respected (and their teams respected as well) and yet they refuse to return the favor. For example, all those posters who call us the Sue, Susies, Soo, or Fighting Halos (Sorry Slap Shot, but I don't like that). You don't have to like the team, but you should respect them enough to spell their name correctly. I doubt many of us would like our names butchered like that if it happened to us on an individual scale.

That's my rant.

In any case, I'm not sure if I'd change the lineup any tommorrow. The only question I have for all of you is this:

Chay Genoway played today... who did he play for? I recall seeing all of those who were listed as defensemen play today. Does this mean Chay played as a forward?

he played forward with zajac and miller. vandevelde made the trip so mybe see him in tomorrow if bishop got banged up??