SiouxSports.com Forum

Why I like Tom Buning

bincitysioux

This is why I like Tom Buning.

Link

UND athletic director Tom Buning said the contract between the Sioux and Northern Iowa contained an option for two more games, contingent on UND becoming a Division I-AA program.

During the summer, UND announced it would elevate its athletic programs to Division I in 2008.

Buning said it's possible the remaining two games between the Sioux and Panthers would be a home-and-home series.

So I take that to mean that we can expect to see UNI on the schedule again sometime between 2008 and 2010 with maybe one of the games in the Alerus. I think that is great foresight. With his ties to Army, I think it would be great to have Army come to GF for a hockey game! I know Army ain't really a hockey power, but hey, it is Army! And I heard that the reason we got the basketball game against Purdue was because of Herbst's contacts but we got Indiana on the same trip because of Buning.

From what I have seen in the last year, Mr. Buning is a much better administrator than Roger Thomas was. Don't get me wrong, I love RT, he did some wonderful things as coach for UND football and is the guy that turned this program around. He tutored Dale Lennon who brought us the National Championship. But his administrative policies also locked us into games with programs like UM-Crookston and Mesa St., which Buning got us out of this year and replaced with Northern Iowa. He has also been less than flattering with his comments about UND football's future home, I-AA.

Buning comes off on TV as sort of a politician type person with his constant big smile (the guy has great teeth, you have to admit). But that is probably what UND needs right now. I also think that it helps that he is a newcomer. In his first year on the job he already got in touch with Gene Taylor about renewing the UND-NDSU football rivalry (Taylor declined) . If RT were still at the helm that would not have happened.

In short, after a year and 3 months as athletic director, I approve of Tom Buning.

The man and his wife know how to party! Have been at a couple of sports functions and those two are FUN.

I know that's not a prerequiste for being a good AD. Having some one who mingles with the 'masses', lisens to what I have to say without looking at his watch and without the 'I'm better than you but I can fake it' attitude that a more than a few of our administrators and alumni project means something to me. I like people who, IMHO, are 'normal' and 'real'.

Oh, and I live in GF. That's important to know why?

I still think it is too early to really give a stamp or approval to this guy.

I really don't see how bringing in Army to play a hockey game would be that big of a deal, unless you would want to give more props to Buning for doing so. I'd rather see his efforts go towards continuing to bring in powers like Maine, BC, etc.

For a Division I transition, someone from outside UND (especially outside GF) is actually a priority. So lo and behold Tom Buning was appointed last year.

Once the transition is completed and UND is established in DI, I would be surprised if Buning stays around, expecially if he gets an opportunity with a higher level school. That's just the way things should be - people have a need to grow and experience different challenges. For the next AD, when a knowledge of alumni and insiders becomes more important again, who would UND turn to? Someone like Bollinger, who now would also have an experience leading a college foundation, could be a prime candidate IMO.

I still think it is too early to really give a stamp or approval to this guy.

I really don't see how bringing in Army to play a hockey game would be that big of a deal, unless you would want to give more props to Buning for doing so. I'd rather see his efforts go towards continuing to bring in powers like Maine, BC, etc.

I bet it's a big deal to Army to play North Dakota, much like it was for Northeastern to play the Sioux in October of 2005 (2005-2006 season) and Canisius to play the Sioux in December of 2005 (2004-2005 season). While it's always a good thing to play Maine and BC, it's important for the growth of college hockey that schools like Holy Cross, Robert Morris, and Army have an opportunity to play giants like Boston U, North Dakota, and Michigan.

While I've often been critical of the guy I must say one area that I'm quite pleased with is the increased emphasis he's put on marketing the football team. The past few years we've had tremendous teams, but you hardly ever heard radio ads promoting the games or saw a single billboard anywhere. (Contrast that with the bison billboards we're subjected to just about everywhere in this state) Under RT, we surrendered the sports marketing duties to the REA and football and other sports got the shaft big time as tons of promotional dollars went into advertising for hockey (no objections) and REA events such as the World Juniors, Agassi-Sampras tennis match, etc. (strong objection).

I bet it's a big deal to Army to play North Dakota, much like it was for Northeastern to play the Sioux in October of 2005 (2005-2006 season) and Canisius to play the Sioux in December of 2005 (2004-2005 season). While it's always a good thing to play Maine and BC, it's important for the growth of college hockey that schools like Holy Cross, Robert Morris, and Army have an opportunity to play giants like Boston U, North Dakota, and Michigan.

Biggest reason in my opinion would be to play them in hockey and then get them to play us in WBB, MBB and FB there and here. We will need D1 games especially in the transition period and Army has a storied history and is still highly respected.

While I've often been critical of the guy I must say one area that I'm quite pleased with is the increased emphasis he's put on marketing the football team. The past few years we've had tremendous teams, but you hardly ever heard radio ads promoting the games or saw a single billboard anywhere. (Contrast that with the bison billboards we're subjected to just about everywhere in this state) Under RT, we surrendered the sports marketing duties to the REA and football and other sports got the shaft big time as tons of promotional dollars went into advertising for hockey (no objections) and REA events such as the World Juniors, Agassi-Sampras tennis match, etc. (strong objection).

I beg to differ with you. There is definitely a presence of football marketing this year, but there was in year's past as well.

For a Division I transition, someone from outside UND (especially outside GF) is actually a priority. So lo and behold Tom Buning was appointed last year.

Once the transition is completed and UND is established in DI, I would be surprised if Buning stays around, expecially if he gets an opportunity with a higher level school. That's just the way things should be - people have a need to grow and experience different challenges. For the next AD, when a knowledge of alumni and insiders becomes more important again, who would UND turn to? Someone like Bollinger, who now would also have an experience leading a college foundation, could be a prime candidate IMO.

If UND tries to mend that fence, there will need to be A LOT of healing!!

UND gameday ads or even a few days before ads still arent on the bottom front page of the sports section of the GF Herald... like it was in previous years..a billboard ad was up when Sara N was the marketing person....whom I felt did a great job...balancing REA and UND $$$$....then the bison tried to be smart and put a scream yellow billbaord up in GF....that and the fact that Mr Neuman ( sp?) at one time was not real happy with a few of the previous administration....I will refrain from using any specific names....but will keep in generalized...

UND gameday ads or even a few days before ads still arent on the bottom front page of the sports section of the GF Herald...

They're in the Forum (sports, p3), not the GFH?

... then the bison tried to be smart and put a scream yellow billbaord up in GF....that and the fact that Mr Neuman ( sp?) at one time was not real happy with a few of the previous administration....I will refrain from using any specific names....but will keep in generalized...

If Harold Newman had a sign located just outside the Pearly Gates, and Satan himself asked to advertise Hells Condos on it, and Satan had the money Harold wanted to pay for that sign in that particular location, Harold Newman would put it up. Harold is first and foremost all about the Benjamins.

PS - Didn't Harold Newman and Newman Sign donate much of the new Sioux Football signage in the Alerus Center?