SiouxSports.com Forum

First snowfall in North Dakota

JESUS,family,rutgers

When is the first day parts of North Dakota usually get their first snow?

Snow in late October is not unusual, but my unscientific guess is that early November is when most parts of the state get snow. The earliest I've ever seen snow was Sept. 21. The latest I've ever seen snow was mid-May. The only two months in which snow has never been recorded in North Dakota are July and August.

Last year the first snow fall was the night of October 5/6. Given our dry summer, my guess for the first snow fall this year is Nov. 13th.

The latest I've ever seen snow is June 2nd, about an inch accumulation, gone by about noon of the same day. The earliest I've seen snow is probably late September.

North Central ND is normally around, mid October to early November, depends on the year. The latest I have seen snow was three yrs ago on May 12th. What i have heard is that in our area the only month that hasn't seen snow is July. It didn't stay in June or August which might be why it hasn't been recorded.

When I read the title, I thought this was going to be a pool. I'll take October 17.

Good grief...when I read the title of this thread, I thought that even though it's 85 and sunny in Minneapolis, that somehow, somewhere, someway, North Dakota was getting snow.

If this is a pool (ala jimdahl) I'm taking Halloween.

The weather always seems crappy on Halloween.

When I was growing up in NW NoDak it was a given that we would get our first snowfall on Halloween. We had a 4 year stretch that the first snowfall was on Halloween.

• 1 month later...
When I read the title, I thought this was going to be a pool. I'll take October 17.

Is it snowing in G.F. now? Can't believe it's already down to 32 degrees -- I just noticed how cold it is when I was checking the (similarly frigid) Madison weather for the weekend.

Is it snowing in G.F. now? Can't believe it's already down to 32 degrees -- I just noticed how cold it is when I was checking the (similarly frigid) Madison weather for the weekend.

We had a sprinkling of snow yesterday. Today I had about an inch of snow on my stairs and sidewalk. I don't know the official snow fall.

Who won the poll?