SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 WCHA Predictions

Sterling

Enough with this Kessel crap. Old news. Time to look forward to another season. Lets start by making some unscientific WCHA predictions. Here's mine (subject to change based on everyone elses influence)

1. North Dakota (call me a homer)

2. Minnesota

3. Wisconsin

4. Minn-Duluth

5. Denver

6. St Cloud State

7. Colorado College

8. Mankato State

9. Michigan Tech

10. Alaska-Anchorage

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly! I don't think they have much else on the table for big scorers but he was very solid last season and should keep them in a lot of games.

I was very impressed with the improvement in that team, IMO, pretty much based on changing coaches. I don't see any reason why they won't be as good as last year, and as it was seen, they could beat just about anybody at the end of the year. Unless they've lost some key players. I really haven't looked at them either.

Only five 20 goal men return to the WCHA. UND has two in Toews and Oshie. SCSU, Denver and MSU all return 1 a piece.

Elliot will keep Whiskey in a lot of games, but they lost an awful lot up front.

Top 5:

1. UND

2. UMD

3. MN

4. SCSU

5. WI

UMD and SCSU to finish ahead of UW? UW returns more than both, brings in more and they have a better goalie. I also don't see any possibility for UMD to finish in the top 5 - that's just too many teams to leap-frog from last year. I'm not sure about the order, but UW, UND, UM and DU will fight for the top 4.

UMD and SCSU to finish ahead of UW? UW returns more than both, brings in more and they have a better goalie. I also don't see any possibility for UMD to finish in the top 5 - that's just too many teams to leap-frog from last year. I'm not sure about the order, but UW, UND, UM and DU will fight for the top 4.

Maybe you need better glasses... and a look at their new goalie recruit.

My not-so-scientific gut-check impression is:

1. WI, unless u-no-who leaves. Then they drop to the bottom five.

2. UND, A couple of months ago I wouldn't have thought this, but now it is possible.

3. UM, look for early season struggles, then better. Lucia too good of a coach.

4. SCSU, good goalie and they made great strides last year.

5-6. UMD/Denver toss up. Gwoz takes a header off the dasher.

7. CC

8-10. Take your pick, it doesn't matter.

It has been an up and down summer, as the wheel turns with the early departures and non-departures (spell that Toews). My thoughts on possible finishes changed almost by the week for a while. So, this is it at the moment.

I think that UW will struggle this year with the lose of the muff diver and three of the top goal getters leaving, though Elliot will keep them together as long as he stays healthy - then throw UW in the garbage

1.-5. UND (depending on how goaltending comes together -UND's biggest weakness- IMO, defense is strong, and returning some potential Hobey finalist), UM(Lucia pet has the heat on to put up a championship this year), , UMD(talent has been pilling up, just needs to gel - could be the surprise of the league this year), St. Clown (last years end of the year run was scarry), and UW

6-10 Anchorage (to far away to matter), Michigan Tech (michigan who), Denver (Carle and the kid from Cally both in my nightmares are finally retired from college hockey), CC (could sterling and sertich be gone?:D), MSU (if the team can stay out of prison they are capable of playing some strong hockey)

Maybe you need better glasses... and a look at their new goalie recruit.

Maybe you need to drink less beer. Ah, isn't it fun being a dick just because someone gives a different opinion?

As for "needing better glasses", I would be willing to bet the vast majority of WCHA fans do not see UMD finishing ahead of both UM and UW in the standings this season and that would not necessarily have anything to do with bias. I also have to logically look at the fact UMD is going to have to leap-frog 7 teams - in the WCHA - in order to finish in 2nd place this season. What will happen remains to be seen, but I'm looking at this logically. Of course my logic might end up being horse-crap but hey that's why it's fun to predict.

Maybe you need to drink less beer.

Isn't it fun being a dick just because someone gives a different opinion? I would be willing to bet the vast majority of WCHA fans do not see UMD finishing ahead of both UM and UW in the standings this season and that would not necessarily have anything to do with bias. I also have to logically look at the fact UMD is going to have to leap-frog 7 teams - in the WCHA - in order to finish in 2nd place this season.

I simply disagree with yzerman but I'm not going to be a prick just because I see things differently.

Whoa there Quickdraw, you are indeed being exactly what you said you're "not going to be." Haven't you ever heard of A SENSE OF HUMOR? Nothing I said was rude, unless you tried really hard to interpret it that way.

I don't think the 'Dogs will be in 2nd, however, they have a completely legitimate chance of being in the top 5. Maybe if you spend less time stirring up trouble while pretending you're not here to start anything, then you'd have a clearer picture of what's going on in the WCHA.

P.S. Don't call me a prick. I don't have one, so I can't be one.

I think that UW will struggle this year with the lose of the muff diver and three of the top goal getters leaving, though Elliot will keep them together as long as he stays healthy - then throw UW in the garbage

1.-5. UND (depending on how goaltending comes together -UND's biggest weakness- IMO, defense is strong, and returning some potential Hobey finalist), UM(Lucia pet has the heat on to put up a championship this year), , UMD(talent has been pilling up, just needs to gel - could be the surprise of the league this year), St. Clown (last years end of the year run was scarry), and UW

6-10 Anchorage (to far away to matter), Michigan Tech (michigan who), Denver (Carle and the kid from Cally both in my nightmares are finally retired from college hockey), CC (could sterling and sertich be gone?:D), MSU (if the team can stay out of prison they are capable of playing some strong hockey)

Why would you think Lucia has the heat on him to win a championship? I think the Sioux would feel more heat since the gophers have won two NC's since the Sioux championship in 2000. The close but no cigar scenario was Woog's downfall. No, I'm not comparing Hakstol to Woog. It just shows how hard it is to win a NC. If the Sioux get to the Frozen Four again, the pressure might just be on them, and in a one and done format, we know all too well that anything can happen.