SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 WCHA Predictions

Sterling

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish we were movin' on up... to a new arena...

But the 'Dogs are going to rock the DECC this year.

I have to agree with the dogs making some noise this year. Didn't they have more freshman than us last year? They will be this year's version of St. Cloud from last year.

the Sioux Defensmen may not be as scary as two years back when the D were on all the minds of opposing teams...There is no doubt that the Sioux have talent and some size but not like the recent years past. Hey but what do I know I am just a fan with an opinion

the Sioux Defensmen may not be as scary as two years back when the D were on all the minds of opposing teams...There is no doubt that the Sioux have talent and some size but not like the recent years past. Hey but what do I know I am just a fan with an opinion

There doesn't seem to be anyone that teams are going to hate playing against all weekend on the Sioux blueline. Finley or Jones may develop into that type of player, but it does look like a different type of blue line than the Sioux have used in years past.

There doesn't seem to be anyone that teams are going to hate playing against all weekend on the Sioux blueline. Finley or Jones may develop into that type of player, but it does look like a different type of blue line than the Sioux have used in years past.

I will agree with that.....although Finley may develop into a punishing defenseman. The rest of the d-corps will not be all that physical. Jones plays with a mean streak but is a bit undersized.

What did I ever do to you? Why you got to put me in the same catergory as redwing? :silly:

Apologies, but you two were the first two I figured to come back with an "I expected it" response to my Point Five.

(PCM was third choice. Feel better? :silly: )

The Sioux defense of this year will not be the mean-and-make-you-squeal, physically punishing variety like Schneider-Jones-Greene-Finley-Fuher a few years back.

However, Radke-Chorney-Jones-Lee-Finley may be the most skilled and talented group of defensemen at UND since the early 1980s (and we know about the long pro careers of James Patrick, Craig Ludwig, and Rick Zombo).

Putting my thought another way:

- In the Schneider et al era, UND's defense was disparaged as "can't make a break-out pass" (but could they break you).

- Now, in the Chorney-Jones-Lee et al era UND's defense isn't physical enough for the pundits.

Different styles, but they'll still dominate the ice in their own way.

Which WCHA D-corps would Lammy trade for those guys? There's your answer.

The Sioux defense of this year will not be the mean-and-make-you-squeal, physically punishing variety like Schneider-Jones-Greene-Finley-Fuher a few years back.

However, Radke-Chorney-Jones-Lee-Finley may be the most skilled and talented group of defensemen at UND since the early 1980s (and we know about the long pro careers of James Patrick, Craig Ludwig, and Rick Zombo).

Putting my thought another way:

- In the Schneider et al era, UND's defense was disparaged as "can't make a break-out pass" (but could they break you).

- Now, in the Chorney-Jones-Lee et al era UND's defense isn't physical enough for the pundits.

Different styles, but they'll still dominate the ice in their own way.

Which WCHA D-corps would Lammy trade for those guys? There's your answer.

This D corps will be a blend of the physical and finesse. Taylor Chorney, who is a great skater, has put on about 20 lbs, so he will be able to handle the physical play. Brian Lee has also bulked up quite a bit and can play physical. Jones is an animal just like his brother. He's not as big, but he's just as physical. With a year under him, Finley will be physical. Count on it. Radke is also built like a brick *house, but can also skate.

I suppose if you look at it deeper, except for Stauber, the gophers never have really had an exceptional goalie. I guess you have a point.

Pietrangelo was decent but played when the Badgers and Sioux were the teams to beat (early 80s). He also gets no mention from Gopher fans since he was..........cough.............Canadian.

You don't need to be physical when you always have possesion of the puck.

All 6 dmen will have lots of experience( last year there was only 1 guy with experience).

Players will FEAR FINLEY, just give it time. I thought Greene and Commie were big when they were here, Big Joe makes them look like basketball players. Finley is much more filled out than those guys (when they were here). Joe could have been a senior in High School last year. He had a rough game at the Frozen four, but he improved a lot over the season(remember how bad Smaby was as a fresh). By the end of the year he will be one of the fan favorites and most hated by the opponents and their trainers.

Pietrangelo was decent but played when the Badgers and Sioux were the teams to beat (early 80s). He also gets no mention from Gopher fans since he was..........cough.............Canadian.

I'm not sure I know a Gophers fan aware of the history that far back that wouldn't include Pieterangelo right alongside guys like Stauber, Janaszak or Shelstad. As for other non-Minnesotans that have worn the 'M', while it's true a number of Sioux fans like to discount the contributions of players such as Vanek, Irmen and G/R Potulny, we mostly have fond memories of them. :silly: