SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome Danny Kristo

siouxnami

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/s...ta/15238491.htm

UND Freshman class of 09. Danny has really come out of no where recently. I hope he continues to improve.

"I think a lot of people have this thought that because he lives in Minnesota, he's always grown up a Gopher fan," said his father, Mark, who was named one of Bemidji State's 50 greatest players this spring. "But he didn't really grow up here, and he's always dreamed about playing for the Sioux."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think a lot of people have this thought that because he lives in Minnesota, he's always grown up a Gopher fan," said his father, Mark, who was named one of Bemidji State's 50 greatest players this spring.

Boy, isn't that the truth. I remember a conversation siouxguyinstpaul and I had with a Gopher fan at the 2005 western regional. The fan was wondering why we would drive from Grand Forks to Minneapolis to watch hockey when our team was out in Boston, siouxguy informed him that we both lived in the Twin Cities. His response: "Wow. You guys live HERE? Way to support your team ." Obviously he was trying to imply that by living in the Twin Cities, we somehow should adopt the Gophers as our team. :blush:

Toews was only 16 when he committed to UND.

Not sure but I think Finley was also 16 when he committed. Love Danny's stats. With a couple more inches and a few more pounds, he should be ready to fill those empty spots our current talent will be leaving in 2009.

Not sure but I think Finley was also 16 when he committed. Love Danny's stats. With a couple more inches and a few more pounds, he should be ready to fill those empty spots our current talent will be leaving in 2009.

Finley was a late addition to last years class, so he was 17 or 18.

Schlossman's blog has a bit on Danny Kristo.

http://gfheraldsiouxhockey.blogspot.com/20...p-prospect.html

I see that they were hashing over on GPL the fact that Hakstol hasn't had any big time recruits lately. I think people that get stuck on hype, especially on kids so young are in for a rude surprise many times. Tell me, who would you rather have on your team, an under-hyped TJ Oshie that some gopher fans and Sioux fans were saying needed more development time, or would you want Blake Wheeler, who everyone was anticipating would be a top scorer, still may be, but you get my point. Players like Vandevelde, who was considered a big-time recruit coming out of high school didn't rip up the USHL, so all of a sudden he becomes a no-name recruit. I think Vandevelde will do fine. People get too caught up in draft position. Yes it says a lot about potential, but there are some first round draft picks that have not done well in college, at least to the point where they live up to the hype. Remember, Panzer and Hoogsteen were under-recruited, and if you talk to some gopher fans, Wisconsin hasn't had many big-time recruits. I would take a NC any time.

Kristo plans to play two seasons with the NTDP, then a year in the USHL before coming to Grand Forks.

Good golly...as exciting as it is to see the Sioux getting commitments from quality players, does this strike anyone else as sort of ridiculous? Three freakin' years before he gets here?

On a related note, Chase Allen L***, my grandson, has non-verbally committed to skate for the Sioux beginning in the 2025-26 school year. L*** is believed to be the first '06 to commit to any DI team. Sources close to the UND coaching and training staff had this to say in relation to the committment:

"We really like what we see in this young man: good hands, good vision, and a real nose for the net. We'll continue to monitor his progress as he proceeds through his development."

Another source said the Sioux staff hopes to be on hand early next year when L*** takes his first steps, and again when he is fitted for his first skates as a one-year-old.

:love:

Good golly...as exciting as it is to see the Sioux getting commitments from quality players, does this strike anyone else as sort of ridiculous? Three freakin' years before he gets here?

On a related note, Chase Allen L***, my grandson, has non-verbally committed to skate for the Sioux beginning in the 2025-26 school year. L*** is believed to be the first '06 to commit to any DI team. Sources close to the UND coaching and training staff had this to say in relation to the committment:

"We really like what we see in this young man: good hands, good vision, and a real nose for the net. We'll continue to monitor his progress as he proceeds through his development."

Another source said the Sioux staff hopes to be on hand early next year when L*** takes his first steps, and again when he is fitted for his first skates as a one-year-old.

:love:

Do you have a link? I won't believe this until it is "officially" confirmed. :lol:

Based on current trends in recruiting and turning Pro and if Kristo continues to develop at his current pace he will be the Sioux lineup before 09. :love:

I think people that get stuck on hype, especially on kids so young are in for a rude surprise many times.
That's what strikes me most about this story -- how accurately can we really predict how good a kid will play college hockey before he's even played a couple years at a high school age? Another interesting recruiting spin that occurred to me reading the USCHO thread is that when recruiting gets pushed so much earlier, factors like who you were a fan of growing up or who your parents know become a much bigger deal. Danny's ties to UND were obviously instrumental in this decision.

Unrelated, I love this quote from that thread:

I judge how good a Gopher player is by how many pages he has on SiouxSports.com.
Fans of other teams think the amount of discussion of their players on this message board is a useful barometer of quality. Excellent. :love:

It is true that guys plateau at different ages, so you really don't know what you're going to get three years down the road. I guess it's up to the coaches to judge what attirbutes might be present that suggest continued improvement. A big red flag for me would be when a kid is bigger than his peers and dominates because he is physically dominant. What happens to his advantage when his peers mature physically?

In Kristo's case, he not only made the varsity at Eden Prairie (a big school in a good conference) as a freshman, he LED his team in scoring. So he was smaller and up to three years younger than his opponents, and he not only survived but thrived. Then he competed against his peers at the US festival and dominated. That's a pretty good start on being an outstanding prospect.

I agree that there are risks to an early commitment, chances that he might not work out or might not even play at UND. It's nonbinding, so he could just change his mind, and major junior is always sniffing around. Still, all that I've read indicates that he seems pretty well lined up to play college hockey, and play it at UND.

I agree with jk in the fact that a lot could happen before 2008 or 2009 (whenever Kristo and the coaching staff decide for him to enroll here).

The words I'd use to describe this committment is "cautiously optimistic." The Gophers have gotten many 16 year old commitments that didn't pan out, a late example is Peter Mueller... though Peter may have even been younger when he verballed to Minny.

I hope he doesn't plateau. I hope he thrives at the NTDP and thrives academically so he can join the Sioux when it is time. There's a long road ahead until that time, though.

Congrats Danny. Wish you were playing another year in E.P. so we could watch you at the state hockey tourney. Anyways this is a great pickup. With all the departures and with Berry leaveing, its great to get news like this. Cant wait to see you play in the Best Arena wearing the Best uniform in the country. It is great to watch kids follow their dream.

Congrats Danny. Wish you were playing another year in E.P. so we could watch you at the state hockey tourney.

I really wish this were going to happen as well. It has to be a tough choice as a parent to send your sophomore in high school off to Ann Arbor. Not that I'll shed any tears for EP losing out on a player, but he'd be fun to watch as a high schooler.

Welcome aboard. I'm sure I speak for all Sioux fans when we look forward to the days when the Wooger calls you "Danny Crisco". :love:

Having younger kids commit, is no bigger crap shoot IMHO, than if they are 17-18. The college game is much different than HS, USHL and the national team. If anything, I think the odds are better they'll develop a bit better if they don't have college recruiters hounding them for another year or two.

Danny gave a very good reason for verbaling early. That is that he wanted to have it taken care of before he went to Ann Arbor. Given the rational, I have no problem with this. Besides, it will be nice to have an insider in Ann Arbor. If the Sioux offered him a spot, I have NO Doubt there is a reason for it. Hak has earned unlimited cred.

It is interesting that we now have an 09 with no 08s

Welcome aboard. I'm sure I speak for all Sioux fans when we look forward to the days when the Wooger calls you "Danny Crisco". :love:

Now if we pick up a recruit that has a name similar to Poncho, we can have "Cisco & Poncho". I bet PCM remembers that combo. :lol:

Now if we pick up a recruit that has a name similar to Poncho, we can have "Cisco & Poncho". I bet PCM remembers that combo. :love:

I remember "Poncho & Lefty," but not "Cisco & Poncho."

Are you sure that you weren't thinking of these guys? :lol:

10115_320x240.jpg

Based on current trends in recruiting and turning Pro and if Kristo continues to develop at his current pace he will be the Sioux lineup before 09. :lol:

Or not at all (ala Peter Mueller). :love: He's a great recruit, but I'm tempering the enthusiasm. A lot can happen with a 16 year old kid in three years.