SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome Danny Kristo

siouxnami

It is true that guys plateau at different ages, so you really don't know what you're going to get three years down the road. I guess it's up to the coaches to judge what attirbutes might be present that suggest continued improvement. A big red flag for me would be when a kid is bigger than his peers and dominates because he is physically dominant. What happens to his advantage when his peers mature physically?

In Kristo's case, he not only made the varsity at Eden Prairie (a big school in a good conference) as a freshman, he LED his team in scoring. So he was smaller and up to three years younger than his opponents, and he not only survived but thrived. Then he competed against his peers at the US festival and dominated. That's a pretty good start on being an outstanding prospect.

I agree that there are risks to an early commitment, chances that he might not work out or might not even play at UND. It's nonbinding, so he could just change his mind, and major junior is always sniffing around. Still, all that I've read indicates that he seems pretty well lined up to play college hockey, and play it at UND.

I have a different concern. This gives Lucia 3 years to turn his attention from Bucky's verbal recruits.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not to firmilar with the NTDP, but will Kristo be on the team that the Sioux play Dec 1st at the Ralph?

There's 2 teams that are with the NTDP, one is U-18, and the other is U-17. I would assume that this guy will be playing on the U-17 team and, therefore, won't be playing against the Sioux this year since we play the U-18 team.

There's 2 teams that are with the NTDP, one is U-18, and the other is U-17. I would assume that this guy will be playing on the U-17 team and, therefore, won't be playing against the Sioux this year since we play the U-18 team.

Will he then be too old to play with the U-18 team his senior year of high school?

Will he then be too old to play with the U-18 team his senior year of high school?

The article just said he just turned 16. So he will be 16 while playing on the U-17's, and then I assume 17 while playing on the U-18's. Can you be 18 and play on U-18? I'm not sure how that works.

The article just said he just turned 16. So he will be 16 while playing on the U-17's, and then I assume 17 while playing on the U-18's. Can you be 18 and play on U-18? I'm not sure how that works.

i thought he was going to play 2 years with the ntdp and then one year in the ushl. that would mean his senior year would be in the ushl.

Man... this guy is young! :D:lol:

So was Toews, and he still is :love: What I find interesting is that, up until yesterday, a certain group of WCHA fans gushed that Kristo could very well be the blue chip recruit of his year group. One day later these same fans are exclaiming that he will never be as good as Parise or that he will never skate a day in the NCAA. Their team has already tapped into Austria and Wisconsin, so any guesses on where their next great contender/pretender will come from?

So was Toews, and he still is :love: What I find interesting is that, up until yesterday, a certain group of WCHA fans gushed that Kristo could very well be the blue chip recruit of his year group. One day later these same fans are exclaiming that he will never be as good as Parise or that he will never skate a day in the NCAA. Their team has already tapped into Austria and Wisconsin, so any guesses on where their next great contender/pretender will come from?

I think most of the guys on GPL who went out to the summer camps really wanted the Gophs to get Kristo and said so. As for BS tossed by others, you can deal. It's not really that different from my side of the fence. Besides it's really too far out to start the Kristo vs. Schroeder contests. :lol:

Anyone who really knows and follows hockey at this level, knows that Kristo has the potential to be special player. He will be a real plus to the Sioux program. The people on GPL (or else where) who are downplaying the talent level of this kid are just doing so out of jealousy or ignorance...........and yes the Goph's really wanted this kid.

It's what happens when people are Gopher/Sioux fans first, and hockey fans second. :)

Anyone who really knows and follows hockey at this level, knows that Kristo has the potential to be special player. He will be a real plus to the Sioux program. The people on GPL (or else where) who are downplaying the talent level of this kid are just doing so out of jealousy or ignorance...........and yes the Goph's really wanted this kid.

It's what happens when people are Gopher/Sioux fans first, and hockey fans second. ;)

good points...............did i just say that :D:lol:

Personally I think Hanowski is the best of that year, but what do I know. It's ALWAYS to early to tell with kids this young. I've heard the Gophers have the inside track on Hanowski, but I'm sure he's being heavily recruited.

Hanowski

Schroeder

Kristo

Mattson

Pryor

Maetche

Any one of the above could eventually be the best product from Minnesota's High Schools, and SCSU doesn't have a chance at any but Maetche

If there's really any hypocrisy, then there should be a specific example of an individual poster that hyped Kristo before, and then dogged him after, his commitment to UND. I know that that cannot be done, but I understand chasing boogeymen for some is a way of life.

I live in Minnesota and have been following the Danny Kristo situation and Gopher comments. Like everyone else, I was shocked - but thrilled - that we picked him up. Seems he was a closet Sioux fan. He is a terrific player.

No where have I read ( including GPL ) or heard anyone mention that Danny Kristo "will never skate a day in the NCAA." - - implication meaning he isn't good enough.

The worst of the responses is people speculating it isn't as bad as losing a Parise or Lee (GPL) or that he may be like a former Gopher recruit Peter Mueller (USCHO.com) and choose to play somewhere else because of his age and experience.

It also is worth adding that, it isn't the same people that made these comments. Some were Sioux fans, some Minnesota, and some Badger fans.

Those that have complimented Danny Kristo have not backed off of those opinions. People like Hammy - (who has a Gopher blog) was the one who said that Danny Kristo could be the best in his age group -wished Danny well and said he was a good pick up for the Sioux.

Just putting things in context.

Personally I think Hanowski is the best of that year, but what do I know. It's ALWAYS to early to tell with kids this young. I've heard the Gophers have the inside track on Hanowski, but I'm sure he's being heavily recruited.

Hanowski

Schroeder

Kristo

Mattson

Pryor

Maetche

Any one of the above could eventually be the best product from Minnesota's High Schools, and SCSU doesn't have a chance at any but Maetche

Ness should be on this list too.

Let the arguing continue. We had Parise vs. Vanek, Toews vs. Kessel and in 2009 it will be Toews/Kristo vs. Schroeder/Sacchetti. Isn't it great being fans of a powerhouse programs.

I know David Toews and Sacchetti haven't committed yet, just give it time.

Ness should be on this list too.

Let the arguing continue. We had Parise vs. Vanek, Toews vs. Kessel and in 2009 it will be Toews/Kristo vs. Schroeder/Sacchetti. Isn't it great being fans of a powerhouse programs.

I know David Toews and Sacchetti haven't committed yet, just give it time.

any word if tessier is leaning towards the college route and if so i assume he would be wearing green and white along with david toews.....

any word if tessier is leaning towards the college route and if so i assume he would be wearing green and white along with david toews.....

I wonder where David and Kelsey's next stops will be regardless of where they are committing. Do they have to play Midget AAA again this year or can they transfer to a league like the USHL/NAHL/MJHL etc?

Also, one other question for those who may know more: Is there some rule where Canadian players have to play Junior A (or Tier I or whatever it is that isn't major juniors) in the prospective conferences whence they originate? So, for example, David Toews would have to play in the MJHL if he were to play in Canadian Juniors? (does Quebec even have a non major junior Tier I hockey league?) I can't seem to find any information about this ruling but I seem to recall a player recently running into that problem when he wanted to play in the BCHL but couldn't because he was from Saskatechewan (I want to say this was Eric Gryba, but I can't be sure).. Maybe I'm not using the right keywords in the google search...