SiouxSports.com Forum

Favorite Player(s) or moment in Sioux Hockey

SIOUXELEVENS

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

favorite goal scorer...David Hoogsteen. A little guy who defied the odds and made an impact. Loved both his goals in the '97 championship game, and his celebration after them too.

favorite tough guy...Mike Commodore. Bad a$$ on the ice. Heck of a nice guy off the ice.

favorite set up guy...Zach Parise-loved watching him play for two years as a Sioux player. Still love to watch him play. Brings energy to the ice every shift.

favorite check...Mark Pivetz in the '97 championship game where he upended the BU player behind the net. Heck of a hit.

favorite goalie...Karl Goehring-kept it simple and made some GREAT saves

favorite team...'96-'97 team. "Speed Kills" A team that wasn't expected to be there at the end, but put that aside and gelled as a team.

favorite sioux game ever attended..Sioux/Gophers - Feb 2, 1996...my first Sioux/Gopher experience. Stood outside for 2 hours in -22 degree weather. Let my car run for over 5 hours, as it wouldn't have started if I didn't! Gophers ranked #1, unbeaten in 19 games. Sioux shell them 8-2. Never heard as loud as a building as that night. Unbelievable hockey environment.

Favorite check Ryan Byda in the 2000 Final five against Wisconsin,opening five minutes Ryan takes out the Senior Desner(sp) behind the Badger net.

This was right by where we were sitting. In the annals of obscure big plays, this one still sticks out. I have a hard time remembering too many specifics of most games, but I remember this one.

I remember Armbrust shooting the puck in '97 too.

I believe that hit was by Defauw not Pivetz. Hoogsteen getting smoked by Blaker after the 2nd goal is something I will never forget.

Not at home, so I can't put in the DVD, but I'm pretty sure it was Pivetz. Could be wrong, but I've watched this game quite a few times.

Fav goal scorer or scoring line - Tony H. along with Bob J. and Brent B. ( I think he had rockets on his skates). They were incrediable (A little thing called the circus)

Fav goalie - Ed B. got his autograph as a kid in Cavalier - great guy

Tough guy - Commey like stated earlier; the hair, the fists, and the hits

Fav setup guy - bob J. (got his autograph too)

Fav team - 2004 Sioux with Parise and Bo - Still can't accept that they lost to Denver in a one goal game!

Best Sioux game - CC (I think) game first year of the new Ralph, behind by 2 and came back to tie and I thought win- drunken haze - any help here would be great to refresh my memory, anyway the Ralph was insanely load

Fav goal scored - Maine with Stafford's penalty shot, gives me goosebumps

Now I am feeling old....

Most memorable game was at the final five vs SCSU (I think it was 99) when the Sioux came back in the last 3 mins, being down 5-2 to tie the game and go to OT. We ended up losing but that was an real nail biter and a great come back.

Fav. Goalies--Eddie, Parise

Other favorite players...Jason Blake...first player that I totally made a fool of myself in front of

Tony Hrcus, Zach Parise, Bochenski, Lundbloom, A. Schneider, Panzer, Comodore

First game ever seen live...at the old barn, can't remember who we played but I was sitting on the glass right behind Eddie and they won the MacNaughton cup that night.

Favorite game to watch, the 2001 semifinals against Michigan State. All ESPN did in the pregame was talk about how unbelieveable Ryan Miller was(yes I know he was actually very very good), but it was goehring who picked up the shutout, not Miller. Final score, Sioux-2, Michigan State-0.

Favorite Goal Scorer-Brandon Bochenski

Favorite Tough Guy-Commy

Favorite Set up man-Zach Parise

Favorite "very fast" players-Brady Murray, Parise, Jeff Panzer, Kevin Spiewak(especially him)

Favorite Current player-Travis Zajac

Favorite Goalie-Gotta be Karl

Most fun team to watch-Tie between 2000-2001 team(i know they didnt win the title, but god were they a fast team) and 2003-2004(somebody stated earlier that it was the most complete sioux team they've seen, I agree)

Favorite Goal-David Hoogsteen's picked off pass against BU, flies in on a breakaway and shelfs it, that was a very very good team also with hoogsteen, blake, kallay, curtis murphy, etc.

Favorite Defenseman-Travis Roche probably

I'll have a lot more to add later, but there has not been nearly enough Tony Hrkac here. There have been some real nice players in the WCHA in this last ten year run for the Sioux, but no one, and it's not even close here, has dominated on the ice the way Hrkac did in his sophomore year.

I'll have a lot more to add later, but there has not been nearly enough Tony Hrkac here. There have been some real nice players in the WCHA in this last ten year run for the Sioux, but no one, and it's not even close here, has dominated on the ice the way Hrkac did in his sophomore year.

very true, i would go with him for many categories but i went with players i have seen live, i did see hrkac play every home game 86/87 but i was only 6 so i dont remember to much..wish i did though! i do have some older dvd's though to watch and he is amazing!!

Favorite Goal Scorer: Panzer and Bochenski

Favorite 2-way Player: Rory McMahon, Spiewak, and Notermann

Favorite Goalie: Karl G

Favorite D: Schneides and Roche and Commie

Favorite Old Ralph Moment: Commie breaking the Wisco players face with his fists with blood all over the boards and ice

Favorite Sioux Game: Final Five Championship against SCSU when we came from behind and lost in overtime, never experienced a comeback like that, thank you Travis Roche

Siouxhockey5

Favorite Goal Scorer: Panzer and Bochenski

Favorite 2-way Player: Rory McMahon, Spiewak, and Notermann

Favorite Goalie: Karl G

Favorite D: Schneides and Roche and Commie

Favorite Old Ralph Moment: Commie breaking the Wisco players face with his fists with blood all over the boards and ice

Favorite Sioux Game: Final Five Championship against SCSU when we came from behind and lost in overtime, never experienced a comeback like that, thank you Travis Roche

Siouxhockey4

why is your signature Siouxhockey4 and your screename is siouxhockey5 :lol:

Favorite goal scorer-Bochenski

Favorite fights-Tie between Commie shattering Alex Brooks' nose and Schneider pummeling the Manitoba (I believe) player in his first game as a Sioux during the last game at the old Ralph.

Favorite D-men-Murray Baron and Russ Parent (followed closely by Commie and Greene)

Favorite Goalie-Goehring

Favorite Game-2000 NC Game

Not at home, so I can't put in the DVD, but I'm pretty sure it was Pivetz. Could be wrong, but I've watched this game quite a few times.

Pivetz did have a crushing check during the game, but it was DeFauw's hit that caused the ESPN sportscaster to say, "DeFauw, carumba! What a hit!"

First Memory - Game with my dad at the Old Barn. Jim Calhoon lost his contact on the ice and both teams were down on their hands and knees looking for it.

Best Memory - Last years semi in Columbus v. Minnesota. The energy after Fabians second goal was unbelievable. Some games at the old Ralph also stand out, especially during the 82-83 "Kermit's Luck Guides Our Puck" run to the title. Only memorable game I've seen in new Ralph was 4-4 tie with CC when Sioux scored twice late to tie.

Favorite Goalie - Bob Iwabuchi and Karl Goehring. Saw Goehring at the Air Force ice rink against CC his freshman year. Everyone around us was making fun of how short he was. He played great and UND won. Sign of things to come.

Biggest Bummer - 1-0 loss to DU in regionals in 2004.

How about nominations for the most unheralded player to become the greatest success?

Two come to mind right away:

Matt Henderson, from walkon to MOP at the Frozen Four.

Phil Sykes, no publicity initially, MOP at the Frozen Four.

Phil Sykes!!!! ??? Phew, I'm not the only oldie but goodie. And still up after 10. :lol:

favorite goal scorer...Jason "The Energizer Bunny" Blake. Always made stuff happen.

favorite tough guy...Mike Commodore. Intimidation...

favorite set up guy...Zach Parise. Great playmaker.

favorite goalie...Karl Goehring. Always had confidence in Karl.

favorite team...96-97 team. The Hoogsteens, Schweitzer, Murphy, Panzer. I loved those guys.

favorite sioux game ever attended.... 6-4 win over BC two years ago. Last seasons win over Wisconsin at the Final Five.

favorite play...Spirko making Harrington look like a cone...Or Matt Henderson (I believe) shorthanded breakaway goal against BU in the title game.... :lol:

favorite comeback i attended...The BC game.

favorite current players...Phil Lamoureax, Jordan Parise, TJ Oshie

So many choices....?

Favorite team: 1980 National Champs... I think sometimes they get overlooked.

I was only 3 at the time but, this is when I knew who I would cheer for the rest of my days.

I also was pictured on the front page of the GF Herald receiving Mark Taylor's autograph that season.

Best Duo: Mark Taylor and Doug Smail 1980

Where would Sioux Hockey Be without... Dixon Ward, Gary Valk, Chris Jensen... these are just a few.

Thank God I didn't play against: Cary Eades (Intense)

Player(s) on a mission on the PK: Scott Dub, Mike Prpich

Felt sick when the injury happened because of what it meant: Neil Eisenhut

Loved to say the name: Mickey Krampotich

Best player: Zach Parise.. (ridiculously awesome) Mark Taylor honorable mention.

I liked Sandy's defensive partner: Glenn Klotz

Best D Man: James Patrick

This is a great topic, it made me smile because of all the great memories this program has created.

So many choices....?

Favorite team: 1980 National Champs... I think sometimes they get overlooked.

I was only 3 at the time but, this is when I knew who I would cheer for the rest of my days.

I also was pictured on the front page of the GF Herald receiving Mark Taylor's autograph that season.

Best Duo: Mark Taylor and Doug Smail 1980

Where would Sioux Hockey Be without... Dixon Ward, Gary Valk, Chris Jensen... these are just a few.

Thank God I didn't play against: Cary Eades (Intense)

Player(s) on a mission on the PK: Scott Dub, Mike Prpich

Felt sick when the injury happened because of what it meant: Neil Eisenhut

Loved to say the name: Mickey Krampotich

Best player: Zach Parise.. (ridiculously awesome) Mark Taylor honorable mention.

I liked Sandy's defensive partner: Glenn Klotz

Best D Man: James Patrick

This is a great topic, it made me smile because of all the great memories this program has created.

I share the same sentiments as most of this post and would add that although he was only here a short time you could tell Belfour was going to be something special in net. Best Rodent exterminator was definitely Mike Commodore. Ask me the same question in a couple of years and the names Oshie and Toews may be on the list.

some of my favorite memories about sioux hockey don't have anything to do with the sioux team itself, but the game and what it meant to me as a kid. One of my favorite memories is from the old ralph, my dad was a student, and we sat in the student section for every home game for 5 years, every game during warmups, i would go down to the glass by the penalty box and get warm up pucks from the visiting team, and some of them would sit and talk to me until it was there turn to go, and i was just a little kid, i thought that was cool.

another one of my memories was waiting to talk to Toby Kvalevog after a game against wisconsin, and ended up sitting in the stands talking to Steve Reinprecht for 15 minutes, who is one of my favorite non-sioux players, he was a really cool guy to talk too.

i remember catching a game puck from a gopher sioux series at the old ralph when i was 10, and a gopher fan took it away from me and knocked me over.....he was prompty booooed until he apologized and gave it back to me.

anyone remember collecting the old "lux et lex" cups at the old ralph after the games?? odd how most of them smelled like booze, and they didn't sell beer or hard alcohol.....

favorite play maker teeder wynne....quick, awesome hands, cocky-but backed it up

tony hrkac, only cuz he's one of the best ever in college hockey

favortie goalie toby and karl......and i'll lump jordan into the mix cuz he is the horse we're gonna ride for another 14 months to another championship

favorite toughguy.........i'll say commodore, mostly because he was a badass....and somewhat cuz he looked like a clown :lol: anyone remember the fight between commie and andy sutton (mtu) anyone wish commie woulda just turtled and skated away instead of getting pummeled??

favorite team 97 sioux, my first real experience with a national championship team, (87 didn't really remember alot of what happened i was still pretty young)

favorite defensemen between nick naumenko, jason herder, and dane litke naumenko for his knack of finding the net.............herder for the wicked slapper............litke for the intangibles, ability to lead his team.....

thanks for starting this thread, brought up a lot of great memories..