SiouxSports.com Forum

Favorite Player(s) or moment in Sioux Hockey

SIOUXELEVENS

No problem, with all these memories that have been brought up I could almost change half of my choices. We are very lucky to have seen such talent come through here. I know sometimes I whine about the coaches and how the team is playing but I will be a Fighting Sioux fan for life even if they didn't win another game.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite player is Troy Murray. Played two years and had 70+ points each year, besides being a great checker, face-off man and basically all-around player. Favorite defenseman is James Patrick. Favorite moment is 1997 national title from a group of hard working, not highly recruited players that weren't expected to do a lot before the year began.

No problem, with all these memories that have been brought up I could almost change half of my choices. We are very lucky to have seen such talent come through here. I know sometimes I whine about the coaches and how the team is playing but I will be a Fighting Sioux fan for life even if they didn't win another game.

All is forgiven!!

Favorite Sioux Game: Final Five Championship against SCSU when we came from behind and lost in overtime, never experienced a comeback like that, thank you Travis Roche

That game was crazy. The goal from behind the net by the SCSU dman that went off the SCSU goalies' pads and in with a minute to go, then Roche's tying goal with 11 sec left.

Then of course the "goalie interference" controversy behind the GWG by SCSU.

Recap

Favorite goal scorer...Zach Parise

Favorite tough guy...Jim Archibald - hands down

Favorite set up guy...Bob Joyce

Favorite goalie...Jon Casey

Favorite team...86/87 Sioux

Favorite Sioux game ever attended..1987 @ the Old Ralph vs Minnesota. Sioux scored about 30 seconds in and the place went nuts. My brother and I were sitting up by the band and after that goal, about 1000 of the old Sioux plastic glasses, numerous beer cans and dozens of frozen rodents went onto the ice.

Favorite play...way to many to remember.

Favorite Comeback..I was in Mpls attending a gophers game in the mid 90's. Sioux were down by 3 and came back to win. I was sitting in front of Darby Hendricksons' grandmother and when the Sioux scored the tie-up goal, she hit me in the head with a poster (it was poster night). You could have heard a pin drop in that place.

Favorite Current players...Oshie and Parise

This is really hard, there are so many good choices. I think my favorite goalie is Bob Iwabuchi, just cause I like to say "Iwabuchi". Favorite tough guy(s), I like Commie, who I have met and is a great guy, Archie, and Scott Kirton he was a tough SOB. I think Prphc could be my favorite agitator/tough guy. After that little scrum with Mankato, I saw Prpch grab the game puck off the ice and hand it to a kid behind the bench, it totally made that kids night, those little things these players do is what makes Sioux Hockey the best. Favorite set up/goal scoring type guys, I think Parise and Bo were a real pleasure to watch. Obviously the Hrkac Circus. I agree that in the future we may be bringing up names like Oshie, Toews, Zajac ect. Hopefully they stay long enough to make a great impact like so many others. As far as favorite games I like the Final Five Championship game from a couple years ago, although the Sioux lost, what a battle back and forth with the dirty goophers, an instant classic.

Favorite Comeback..I was in Mpls attending a gophers game in the mid 90's. Sioux were down by 3 and came back to win. I was sitting in front of Darby Hendricksons' grandmother and when the Sioux scored the tie-up goal, she hit me in the head with a poster (it was poster night).

:lol:

Favorite Goalie: Iwabuchi, Belfour

Favorite Defense: Patrick, ludwig, Dean "goon" Dachyshyn

Favorite Forward: T. Murray, Smail, Hrkac, Joyce

Most Exciting: Maxwell, Blake, Hrkac

Favorite Player: Hrkac

Tony Hrkac was the best college Hockey Player I have ever saw. He would just glide on his skates and float right by the opponet. He would come up with the most amazing plays you would ever see. I like the one where he banked the puck off the goalie net from behind as a player was coming after him. The player went by and the puck came right back to Tony after banking off the back off the net. Then his slap shot that would be about two inches off the ice and right bye the goalie's feet. He was simply amazing to watch. The whole circus was amazing to watch.

Worst memory: Broten and Strobel coming down on a 2 on 2 in overtime at home. I told my friend at the time they were skating down the ice to go get in line and see if we can get a players stick because this game is over. We were only about 10 or 11 years old at the time. Sure enough, the puck goes back and forth and broten scores the game winner in O.T. And we never got a stick.

Best memories: Looking across the ice to see the student section going crazy at home games. The gophers on the ice and sometime students on the ice. Then there was one guy who would dangle a fake scicken on a long stick in front of the opposing goalie. Does anyone remember this?

And lastly, the walk over to the arena after watching B.B. There would be quite a group of people who were doing this. I think hockey games those nights started at 8:00 or 8:30.

It's an odd addendum, and not one many have as a favorite moment, but my favorite moment was:

2000 Frozen Four, UND vs. Maine. Kevin Spiewak comes in from the point and shoots a puck on goal, I assumed at the time just to clear the puck into the offensive zone to make a change. It goes right past the Maine goaltender's left skate and just inside the crossbar to score on Maine. After enduring countless ESPN pregame interviews from Maine players, it was really neat. Especially since the last interview was the goaltender. He was asked why he did not have his mask painted. He replied something to the effect, "I want to be like a ghost on the ice."

I watched the shot in the residence hall where I was living at the time, stood up and yelled "WHERE'S THE GOALIE?:lol:" at the top of my lungs. Scared the crap out of some of the people down the hall ???

EDIT: Least favorite moment:

2001 NC game. It was Passover (I'm Jewish) so I had to miss nearly all of the game because of the seder I was at. I escaped away from the seder to tune in just in time to see BC score in OT. ;)

One last bad moment: last year's NC game, the showed the closing moments of the game, Robbie Bina resting his head against the glass, saddened by the loss. :)

Favorite Sioux player of all time, Gordie Hangsleben. He's a great man.

Favorite D, hands down James Patrick. He'll probably be the best all around D to wear the green.

Favorite F, Kevin Spiewak. Great guy, great two-way player, man he's fast

Favorite G, Darren Jensen

Favorite team, 97

Favorite Sioux moments;

Being a UND fan, going through all the flood crap and having our men and women seem to win for the town I'm so proud of being from. I know the flood happened after the men won, but I'll never forget watching the game with my in-laws and reflecting later about all that happened to that great town within a year.

Last year's FF was my first in person and will always be special. From meeting the players and their parents, to spending that time with my family (all extroverts when it comes to Sioux hockey), to the pure comraderie of college hockey (meeting other teams fans and stories), to outnumbering and outcheering the gopher fans by a long shot, and then watching the guys leave everything out there.

Growing up in GF and going to hundreds of games, bringing dates to games, playing boot hockey in the hall by the alumni room, getting smashed in the crowded original lobby of the new Winter Sports Arena, coming home with hundreds of white plastic cups after games, having one of my first alcoholic drinks out of a "Gino Tumbler", ...

Winning meet the Sioux and getting to skate with the team, still have the autographed stick and puck from the event (they're hanging on my son's wall next to his Spiewak, Oshie, and the 04'-05' team sticks). Getting flattened by Dave Tippett while skating backwards, then he and James helped me off the ice. Dave then gave me a signed stick which my little brother cut down to play down at Riverside with.

My wife and I spent a few years on hiatus from being die-hard Sioux hockey fans while in college in the early nineties, but it has been the greatest that we've been able to share the experiences together since. Having someone to share this great team and great game with is priceless. Thanks H-wheels!

One big regret I have is not seeing the 1979-82 teams. Based on what I've heard, and the numbers I've seen, I'm thinking the names Maxwell, Taylor, Sykes, Murray and Smail would figure prominently in a thread like this if that era was seen by more people.

Best chemistry: Hrkac/Joyce. Parise and Bochenski are probably better players and will have better NHL careers, but I was always left with the feeling that the whole was not any greater than the sum of the parts. The 1987 bunch was just the opposite - those guys were just magic together.

The agitators: There's a long line of agitators, and probably rightfully so Archie and Prpich get most of the attention, but there were some other gritty players in between. Thankfully someone has mentioned Scott Dub - not the most agile skater, but good top-end speed and a genuine pain on the ice. Notermann was another gritty player.

Best NCAA period: 1987 first period against MSU, 3-0 Sioux before MSU got its first shot on goal with about 3 minutes left in the period. The concourse at Joe Louis arena was filled with thousands of very quiet Spartans between periods. The 1997 second period against BU is a close runner up.

favorite goal scorer...Zach Parise

favorite tough guy...Mike Commodore

favorite set up guy...Jeff Panzer

favorite goalie...Karl Goehring, he always looked cool, calm, and collected

favorite team...Either 2000 or 1997. How can anyone pick one.

favorite sioux game ever attended...I have been to so many great ones, but beating the Gophers is always the best. It doesn't get much better than on January 14, 2006 after the embarassment on Friday night.

favorite play...Too many to remember.

favorite current players...Lee, but it could quickly change to Finley if he takes the enforcer role.

CVCL, Thanks for the great post. My memories of the 1987 Final Four are more hockey memories. But my memories of the 2005 Frozen Four are very much of the UND hockey community. I basically don't have the stamina to wade through the threads here on REA atmosphere, but I can just say that the support from the UND fans at Columbus was more robust than at either the old or new REA, and dwarfed that of the other participants in Columbus. It was a great experience.

Goal Scorer: Russ Romaniuk

Pest - Calder - Will never forget him following around Goldie before the start of overtime in the 1997 Final Five championship game with his mouth yapping the whole time. Talking trash with the opposing mascot...priceless. Prpich is right up there as well.

Team - '87 - Dominant

Goalie - Casey and Belfour. Schweitzer for his brief time for the way he stepped up when needed.

Defenseman - Patrick and Roche. To bad Roche doesn't have the mental fortitude because he was as talented as anyone.

Hrkac with the most dominant forward I remember

Tweeter Wynne was fun to watch. Like a cross between Prpich and Blake.

Commie developed into a beast. I remember being in the front row when that little speedster from AA dumped it in and went wide to the left. Commie just plastered him. The guy laid there like he was dead. They didn't try to go wide again.

Z Parise was the most polished freshman I remember and of the current squad I love the way Oshie brings it every shift.

Set-up man - G. Johnson and Hrkac

Also enjoyed Eisenhut, Dixon Ward and all the guys that always played with a smile (or smirk) - Jeff Panzer, T. Wynne, Prpich, Calder, David Hoogie...

For best games - 1997 Final Five championship, the Gopher series at the Old Ralph when they had the 19 game unbeaten streak, and some other game in against a lowly opponent where the SIoux came back from 3-4 down in the thrid to win. The Sioux had grossly outplayed the other team but couldn't score. The place was only about 2/3 full when the Sioux broke through. Like one of the Gopher games, the other coach called TO as the place was going crazy and the mo had shifted big time. The whole placed stayed standing and the volume increased for the entire TO. By the end of the TO the fenzy was worse than had they just played on. The Sioux jumped on them again and it was a fabulous vibe. Haven't experience anything like it in the new Ralph.

positive thread positive thread positive thread

cmon man, let's not start please be joking

I was joking. I thought the smiley face showed that.

I think Panzer and Bochenski were the best goal scorers I've seen play for the Sioux. Zach Parise was the the best all around player. He worked harder on the ice than any other player I've ever seen in college. I think Nick Naumenko is very underrated, he was very good. Goehring is the best goalie I've seen at UND by far. Schweitzer was good but for only one year. If Parise wins a title I think then he would belong on the same level as Goehring. And without doubt, the best coach the Sioux ever had was Blais.

favorite goal scorer: Jason Blake... truly showed us that speed can kill. Man he was fast.

favorite tough guy: Mike Commodore... favorite I've seen, but I'm sure I would've loved Archie.

favorite set up guy: Zach Parise... saw the ice incredibly well.

favorite goalie: Karl Goehring

favorite fight: The intentional glove dropping of Prpich & Peluso.

favorite sioux game ever attended: The huge 3rd period comeback against Minnesota.

favorite hockey but not hockey moment: The first game after Ralph dies, the mic goes bad for the national anthem and the crowd sang it. Very emotional, you probably had to be there.

A very close 2nd: Greene skating to the locker room after a penalty (Blais' rule that night) and then having to come back to sit in the box. After he served his time, straight back to the showers.

favorite play: Absolutely impossible to pick one.

favorite current player: Toews

favorite team: 87... the first Sioux team I ever got to see in person. Awesome.

Not discounting anything Gino did but I think he was blessed with more talented players but Blais's teams did it with more determination and hard work. Jason Blake was fast but Jeff Panzer took it to another level. Best fight has to be the water bottle fight in Wisconsin,Eades having a cop tell him if he throws one more he's going to jail and Archy's sparks from running across the beer garden with skates on