SiouxSports.com Forum

Favorite Player(s) or moment in Sioux Hockey

SIOUXELEVENS

Not to dismiss Blais, but I have vague memories of another UND coach with three national championships. Anyone remember that guy's name? :lol:???

I know Gaspirini was a great coach but Blais took over a struggling program and won an NCAA title in his third year. That was very impressive IMO. Then he added another title three years later. He would have won more had he stuck around I think.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite Players - Perry Berezan, Bob Joyce, Tony Hrkac, Chris Jensen

Favorite D-Man - Jason Herter, Ian Kidd, James Patrick

Favorite Goalie - Ed Belfour, Jon Casey

Favorite Tough Guy - Jim Archibald....hands down

Favorite Team - 87 Sioux - 'Dream Team'

Favorite Moment - To many to type out.

I know Gaspirini was a great coach but Blais took over a struggling program and won an NCAA title in his third year. That was very impressive IMO. Then he added another title three years later. He would have won more had he stuck around I think.

Gaspirini took over a team that was 15-22-1 in 77-78. The Sioux went 30-11-1 in 78-79 and played for the national championship. They then went 31-8-1 in 79-80 and won the national championship. Not too bad, eh?

Favorite players: Zach Parise, Tony Hrkac, Karl Goehring, Russ Romaniuk, Curtis Murphy, David Hoogsteen, Earl Anderson

Best player in any given year Tony Hrkac

Most talented player Zach Parise, Troy Murray

Favorite defenseman Curtis Murphy

Favorite goalie Karl Goehring

Best team 1986-87

Favorite team 1996-97

Best Moment Very difficult choice because there are many, but it has to be the championship game in 1997 in Milwaukee. The atmosphere was electric.

Favorite Current Player Jonathan Toews

Favorite tough guy Scott Dub

Didn't Gino take a struggling program to the National Championship game his first year or so?

My first year of awareness of Sioux hockey was 1984-85. I was pretty much out of touch 1988-1995 or so. My picks for:

PLAYER THAT STANDS OUT ABOVE THE REST: Tony Hrkac. Wow.

BEST UNHERALDED DEFENSEMAN: Curtis Murphy & Matt Jones

BEST OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN: Travis Roche

BEST GOAL SCORER: Hmmm....Bob Joyce or Brandon Bochenski

FAVORITE PLAYER YOU LOVE TO HAVE ON YOUR TEAM BUT OPPONENT HATES: Jason Blake/Mike Prpich

BEST FIGHTER/ALL AROUND TOUGH GUY: Archie

BEST ALL-AROUND FORWARD: Zach Parise

PLAYER I'D BE IF I COULD: Kevin Spiewak

TEAMS I WISH I COULD HAVE SEEN: 1979-1984

PLAYERS I WISH I WOULD HAVE SEEN: Greg Johnson, Teeder Wynne, Nick Naumenko, Dixon Ward

BEST FIGHT: Commie/Brooks (Oh, why did I tape over that game?)

HIT THAT STANDS OUT: Ryan Bayda in the 2000 Final Five game with Wisconsin

BEST AURA: Commie

BEST HOBEY RUNNER-UP: Jeff Panzer

BEST CHECKING LINE CENTER: Adam Calder (wish I could remember his 1997 line)

PLAYERS WHO DESERVE HONOR THAT I SOMEHOW HAVE NOT FOUND A SPOT FOR: Scott Dub

One of my memorable moments at the Old Ralph was as a proud Mom. My two year old was dress in a Sioux cap, white and green Sioux sweater, Sioux green corduroy pants and was playing floor hockey with a practice puck he found during warm ups and a souvenier hockey stick. We were playing Wisconsin and the fans were dressed in their usual outrageous garb. One of the fans asked if they could take a picture of my son and I gave consent. I was so puffed up, thinking how cute my son must be for them to want his picture. Then a friend asked me if I knew what they were probably going to do with the picture. When I said no, he informed me that my son's picture was likely to be the background for a dart board at a Madison Pub. ???

My current favorite player is of course Prp. Love that smile as he gives cra& to the oppposition distracting them long enough for us to score a goal (i.e Gopher game). :lol:

I forgot my funniest Sioux moment...1996-Nick Naumenko comes and the Sioux come out for warm-ups. The fans stand up and cheer. Naumenko is the first person to shoot a puck in warm-ups. Ends up hitting the crossbar of the goal, shoots off at a 90 degree angle into the end of the student section, hitting a fan in the chest. The fan was talking to his buddies and never saw it coming. It knocked him right in his seat. HILARIOUS! For whatever reason, I watched that puck the entire way from the moment it left Naumenko's stick and hit the poor guy. The guy wasn't hurt, laughed it off, and had a warm-up puck, but it did give me (and probably that guy) something to remember for the rest of our lives. I honestly don't think the guy knows to this day, who shot that puck, but buddy, if you're a fan on SS.com, you have Nick Naumenko to thank for that shot. :lol:

favorite check...Mark Pivetz in the '97 championship game where he upended the BU player behind the net. Heck of a hit.

I was at this game and seated right inside the blue line with a perfect view of that hit. It was without a doubt Brad DeFauw. I remember commenting to my buddy at the time "ohmygod...DeFauw just KILLED that guy!" and couldn't wait to get home and watch the VCR tape of that hit. No sooner did we arrive back in Roseville, I ran to my living room and found that moment. Absolutely perfect. No one else in the view of the screen except a BU player and all of a sudden you hear the sound of of DeFauw's skates as he comes to a screeching halt before leveling the afore-mentioned Terrier. Best hit I've ever seen.

CVCL, Thanks for the great post. My memories of the 1987 Final Four are more hockey memories. But my memories of the 2005 Frozen Four are very much of the UND hockey community. I basically don't have the stamina to wade through the threads here on REA atmosphere, but I can just say that the support from the UND fans at Columbus was more robust than at either the old or new REA, and dwarfed that of the other participants in Columbus. It was a great experience.

Amen JK. That's why it would be a shame if the Sioux don't make the Tourney this year. I gotta think that a Regional would be reason enough to recreate that atmosphere at the Ralph. Better yet, it would be great to recreate it next week against Duluth. You could tell in Columbus that the team just fed off the energy in that building.

A couple more...

Favorite haircut: Had to be Teeder Wynn.

Favorite little guy: Hoogsteen or Notermann

Favorite Character: Mike Prpich, or Archibald.

Best Shot: Bochenski, or Naumenko

Favorite Defensman: Travis Roche

Favorite all time name: Reggie Morelli

Favorite all time coach: Deano, of course....

Favorite Game: UND 4 BC 2.....Jason Ulmer for Hobey... :lol:

So it was against CC when the Sioux rallyed late to tie the game (thanks) - by far the best game in the new Ralph

I remember the DU/UND first round WCHA playoffs (3rd game) as the best game that I have attended at the new Ralph (and I was at the 4-4 Sioux/CC tie as well, IIRC, they tied both games that weekend 4-4). So much noise once it entered OT, with a trip to the Final Five on the line. And then Nick Fuher unleashed his slapper and sent the place into an uproar. :)

I remember the DU/UND first round WCHA playoffs (3rd game) as the best game that I have attended at the new Ralph (and I was at the 4-4 Sioux/CC tie as well, IIRC, they tied both games that weekend 4-4). So much noise once it entered OT, with a trip to the Final Five on the line. And then Nick Fuher unleashed his slapper and sent the place into an uproar. :)

That was great game.

tn_sioux06.jpg

I know I've already posted to this thread but I got to thinking about the great games and moments, and besides the National Championships, I would have to say that the 97 meeting between the gophs and the Sioux.

A couple of things on that series, I recall reading an article earlier in the week in USA Today about how the gophs were #1, they had Brian Bonin, Mike Crowley, Trebil etc... (oh, too bad that was suppose to be your year) and the Sioux to that point had not been extraodinary. They were great games, the Sioux swept. I don't know if I've seen any other team springboard off 2 games like the Sioux did that season as of course they went on to win the NC.

I was a student at the time and we waited in line for 3 hours for the doors to open both nights, and you know what my friends and I would have waited a year in that line- it was awesome. People were getting pizza delivered in line. It was deafening in the old Ralph before each game and throughout. Cheers, Chants, Grandmas, Kids you name it. It was electric.

A couple of things on that series, I recall reading an article earlier in the week in USA Today about how the gophs were #1, they had Brian Bonin, Mike Crowley, Trebil etc... (oh, too bad that was suppose to be your year) and the Sioux to that point had not been extraodinary. They were great games, the Sioux swept. I don't know if I've seen any other team springboard off 2 games like the Sioux did that season as of course they went on to win the NC.

Bonin wasn't on that team, he was on the 96 team though.