SiouxSports.com Forum

Favorite Player(s) or moment in Sioux Hockey

SIOUXELEVENS

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I became a Sioux hockey fan in 1976-77 (12 yo at the time), although I had been to games before that. My favorite player that year was Dave Colborne. He was my favorite because I remember going to a game and a bunch of students in the top row of the student section had taken their shirts off and had C-O-L-B-O-R-N-E spelled on their chests. I figured any player than could garner that was worthy of praise.

The Sioux started strong that year and there was quite a bit of buzz about them, especially since they had been so dismal before that. They started out 10-2 and in first place in the WCHA. Rube* had recruited a strong bunch of forwards that year: Rick Zaparniuk, Erwin Martens, Mark Taylor, and Colborne; along with defenseman Brad Cox. I think that Zaparniuk was centering Taylor and Colborne on an all-freshman line and they were tearing things up. I remember Virg(?) writing a column on what name the line should have - I think he settled on the "Zap" line.

Then Colborne was ruled ineligible or something; anyway, he left the team. The Sioux fell apart. I was so disappointed, heart-broken really. I remember going to games late in the year with the hope the team to recapture the spark they had at the start and being anxious for next year as soon as the season ended. So, despite a 19-19 record and no postseason, 1976-77 remains my favorite moment in Sioux hockey. I know I became Sioux hockey fan that year.

And of course, there was a silver lining. The next year, Rube* added Doug Smail (my favorite Sioux of all time), Dave Christian, Marc Chorney, Mike Stone and Paul Chadwick. Then in 78-79, Gino took that base, added a monster recruiting class (Kevin Maxwell, Phil Sykes, Cary Eades, Howard Walker and Bob Iwabuchi), and developed a league champ and college hockey powerhouse.

*As assistant, Gino probably was responsible for all these recruits, although I have no idea if that is true.

Feb. 1998 on a Sunday afternoon game the Gophs blew a 3-0 lead and the noise was deafening :)

I would have to say that was my most memorable game as my brother got me a ticket for Christmas that year. Thanks Big Bro. What a gift! :silly: Anybody else remember that one?

The Sioux came all the way back to win the games against the dirty Gophers. That season the Sioux dispointed me by going the NCAA playoffs only to lose in the NCAA playoffs to the Michigan Wolverines.

Hard to swallow but never the less a good hockey team.

Actually, Jeff Ulmer was the third member of that line. Jason was a freshman that season and often skated on a line with Armbrust and Defauw.

Ulmer, Defauw, Armbrust, Henderson the lunch box kids. Role players that added grit, thought in some timely scoring at the right time. I wish we had that grit on this years team. I remember watching Peter score in the championship game of the Final Five against the Gophers and Woog snapping the next week because he had to play the Michigan Wolverines the next week in the regional at Yost. Oh the humanity.

Feb. 1998 on a Sunday afternoon game the Gophs blew a 3-0 lead and the noise was deafening :)

I would have to say that was my most memorable game as my brother got me a ticket for Christmas that year. Thanks Big Bro. What a gift! :silly: Anybody else remember that one?

Oh yeah, what a game. I've been looking for a video of that for a long time. I got some serious camera time in that one. BTW, the crowd in that one stood almost the entire third and definately sparked the team. I don't think anyone was foolish enough to tell me to sit down...

Oh yeah, what a game. I've been looking for a video of that for a long time. I got some serious camera time in that one. BTW, the crowd in that one stood almost the entire third and definately sparked the team. I don't think anyone was foolish enough to tell me to sit down...

My brother and I refer to this game as "The Great Comeback". Woog refered to the "Panzer-Panzer-Panzer" line, and the announcer informed him that there were only two Panzer's, which frazzled Woog even more! :silly: I have this game on tape. Let me know if you want a copy Siouxnami. I've been meaning to put it on DVD. PM me if you're interested. I'd only make you pay for cost to make it and shipping.

My brother and I refer to this game as "The Great Comeback". Woog refered to the "Panzer-Panzer-Panzer" line, and the announcer informed him that there were only two Panzer's, which frazzled Woog even more! :silly: I have this game on tape. Let me know if you want a copy Siouxnami. I've been meaning to put it on DVD. PM me if you're interested. I'd only make you pay for cost to make it and shipping.

I'll pay for the copy and the shipping and your time! I asked for this tape/DVD a year ago and no one responded. Email me at harveyskees@hotmail.com and we can make the arrangements. In fact, and if you have it handy, email all other games you have that you can transfer onto DVD and send and I will pick the games I want and you can tell me how much you want for your work and trouble. I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks.

Signed,

1995 UND and 1998 UND - School of Law grad and lifetime Sioux hocky FAN and SUPPORTER!

I just put Sioux/Gophers 1998 "The Great Comeback" on DVD, and I'm watching it, and I got to the point where someone threw a live gopher on the ice. I was wondering if anyone on the board knows who threw that, or how they contained it until the 3rd period of the game. Something I've always wondered about this game. Just thought somebody may know the answer to my question.

I was wondering if anyone on the board knows who threw that, or how they contained it until the 3rd period of the game. Something I've always wondered about this game. Just thought somebody may know the answer to my question.

If you tuck their heads under their front "arm" pit, and shake them, it puts them to sleep. You can put them down and they'll stay like that for quite a while.

I just put Sioux/Gophers 1998 "The Great Comeback" on DVD, and I'm watching it, and I got to the point where someone threw a live gopher on the ice. I was wondering if anyone on the board knows who threw that, or how they contained it until the 3rd period of the game. Something I've always wondered about this game. Just thought somebody may know the answer to my question.

Siouxdonyms I would love to have a copy of that dvd if at all possible. I'am also looking for a copy of the NCAA regional game between UND and Michigan,message me if it would be possible to copy that.

If you tuck their heads under their front "arm" pit, and shake them, it puts them to sleep. You can put them down and they'll stay like that for quite a while.

I should have known that you'd know how to put them to sleep. I have this image of you and SoDak Sioux Fan doing this while you were in high school. :lol:

We never did put any gophers to sleep back in our days, but Dagies almost put Goldy to sleep at the 2000 Final 5. Goldy had the nerve to jump into our suite box and Dagies let him have it. I had to step in so Dagies wouldn't have any criminal charges against him.

So he had his head under his arm and was shaking him vigorously??? :lol:

Favorite moments in no particular order:

1997 Final Five against Gofers...Armbrust comes out of no-where and a deflected puck lands right on his stick!! (saw it live)

2001 NCAA Semi-Finals against Mich. St. and THE RYAN MILLER...The Sioux score on their first shot against "Un-score-onnable" and win 2-0...Mich St. and their defensive style took it right up the chute! (saw it live)

2001 NCAA Finals against BC - Wes Dorey sends the game into overtime with a tip-in goal...Every BC fan's ass was as tight as a snare drum...You could have heard a pin drop from every section of the arena except where the 500+ Sioux fans were sitting...If there would have been 2 minutes left, UND would have won in regulation...Dean Blais wins the "Riverboat Gambler" award for pulling the goalie way early to get the Sioux back in the game...(saw it live)

1999? Final Five against Gofers - Dave Spehar gets upended into the Sioux bench...I had that picture as my screen saver for years but lost it...anybody got it? (saw it live)

2000 NCAA Semis against defending champs Maine...Maine AD tells UND officials that they would set up a table after the game so Sioux fans could sell their tickets for the Final to Maine fans after the Sioux lost...Sorry, Sioux were in Playoff Hockey Mode... We win! (saw it live)

2000 NCAA Final - Sioux overcome BC and DOUG FLUTIE and ESPN...Mike Commodore says "Holy F**k" during the postgame celebration...I have it on VHS and it's clear as day... :lol: (saw it live)

1997 Final - Sioux score 5 goals in the second period and go on to win the Championship against Black Jack Parker and BU....

1978 - Early 1980's Sioux hockey games are shown on Prairie Public Television in the Minot ND area...hooked at an early age...

1982 - Attended first Sioux hockey game in person...Whoops, it was the Grand Forks Massacre as Wisconsin and Chris Chelios win 9-0?....Not a fun moment, but I will never forget it...

1982 NCAA Final - Sioux give a litte payback and beat Bucky for the title...

1998/99 - Sioux losing big to Gofers (3-0) in Grand Forks and come back to win in the third....Woog counts at least 11 Panzers on the ice for North Dakota....

Late 90's - Sitting behind the Gofer bench for another late Sioux comeback and watching Woog looking up in the crowd when we told Johnny Pohl to skate with his head up..."you're not in Red Wing anymore Johnny"... (definitely saw that one live :huh:)

1987 Final against Michigan St....I think this game was played on a Monday night....the Gof's lose in the Semis against the Spartans on a fluke goal by Dave Arkelpaine....Sioux take on the defending Nat'l Champs with the Miller (Kevin and Kip) boys and Bob Essensa in goal...Watched it in Noren Hall with my two Suite Mates and 3 hot Noren co-eds on a 13" color TV....Didn't matter, Sioux cruise after going up 3-0 in the first...

2005 - UND wins the unofficial Beanpot by spanking BU and BC in the NCAA's to make the Frozen 4. After watching this team all year, I came to the conclusion they had no chance until they beat the Gofers in the 3rd place game at the Final 5...Great run, just came up a little short...