SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Why couldn't they go the college rout?  If they are as good as everyone thinks they could go to the USHL now and get on a team.  Rosters aren't final until some time in Feb.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From USHR.com

Right now, the immediate hockey future of both players is unknown. Their situation is complicated by the fact that they are subject to Hockey Canada

I hope out of the respect of these kids and their families no one starts rumors on this website about them.  Some things are family matters.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, this has to be especially tough for the Toews family who had deliberately taken steps to keep their sons close by and together. Kids make mistakes and I suspect Toews will have to go back to Winnipeg where he might still fit into a Midget team but may have to settle on Bantam or highschool hockey for this winter. If he still wants to follow in his brother's footsteps to UND Tier II Junior is probably his only option so watch for him to maybe go to the Notre Dame Hounds (developmental/prep school) in the Saskatchewan Junior League.

Two highly regarded recruits (David Toews and Kelsey Tessier) were expelled from Shattuck for cheating.  This could be very bad for the Sioux as I believe we had a very good shot at getting both of them if they didn't go major juniors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats a shame. Sounds like Shattuck has very strict rules.

I hope out of the respect of these kids and their families no one starts rumors on this website about them.  Some things are family matters.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheating is cheating is cheating is cheating. This is totally classless and inexcusable. They are young and hopefully learn from their mistakes. I would expect that they may be given a second chance, though they may not deserve it.

Good work by the Shattuck School. They could have acted like the U of M with Ganglehoff.

These kids are sophomores in high school and they made a big mistake and are paying for it in a big way. They have time to put together a solid academic record before deciding on college or MJ or whatever.

I for one hope they learned the proper lesson, will apply themselves appropriately, attain the proper high school credentials and rebuild their academic integrity to put themselves in the position to have options on how to pursue their hockey career post high school. If they do that, and they want to come to UND and UND wants them, I'll welcome them happily.

Yes, In Canada you can't leave your home province to play juniors until you graduate High School.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. So, I know that Toews is from Manitoba, so he'd have to try to catch on with someone in the MJHL until he's out of high school.

Tessier, I'm less interested in so I didn't look him up :lol:

True. So, I know that Toews is from Manitoba, so he'd have to try to catch on with someone in the MJHL until he's out of high school.

Tessier, I'm less interested in so I didn't look him up :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tessier is from Saskatewan I think. Whatever the two kids did I don't think it should decide their future, since they are only 15 years old. Cheating is bad, but it depends on what really happened and since no one here knows the specifics I'm not going to pass judgement.

That being said in 3 years I would love to see both of these guys in a Sioux uni.

Tessier is listed as being from Moncton, NB.

Someone said: "I would expect that they may be given a second chance, though they may not deserve it." In what world should 15 year olds not be given a second chance? What should we do with them, write them off? People make stupid mistakes, and usually eventually they have to suffer the consequences, as these guys are no doubt doing. Imagine that phone call to your parents.

In terms of their hockey careers, I would guess that someone somewhere will find room for them on a team, within Hockey Canada's rules. I don't know what it ultimately means to their chances of choosing the college route, but it doesn't seem like this development helps.

Someone said:  "I would expect that they may be given a second chance, though they may not deserve it."  In what world should 15 year olds not be given a second chance?  What should we do with them, write them off?  People make stupid mistakes, and usually eventually they have to suffer the consequences, as these guys are no doubt doing.  Imagine that phone call to your parents.

Second chances = Brandon Bochenski

Tessier is listed as being from Moncton, NB. 

Someone said:  "I would expect that they may be given a second chance, though they may not deserve it."  In what world should 15 year olds not be given a second chance?  What should we do with them, write them off?  People make stupid mistakes, and usually eventually they have to suffer the consequences, as these guys are no doubt doing.  Imagine that phone call to your parents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that they deserve a second chance. I just don't believe the should get it from Shattuck.

Iceburg on GPL says that MN, WI, UMD and UND are chasing Cade Fairchild, the defenseman from Duluth. There's got to be only the slimmest chance that UND could get this kid. Apparently he's a big MN fan and has stated that's where he wants to go. BUT, since this is a "prospective" recruits thread, it's worth a mention.

Iceburg on GPL says that MN, WI, UMD and UND are chasing Cade Fairchild, the defenseman from Duluth.  There's got to be only the slimmest chance that UND could get this kid.  Apparently he's a big MN fan and has stated that's where he wants to go.  BUT, since this is a "prospective" recruits thread, it's worth a mention.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

His dad played a year at UMD and is very involved in the UMD blue line club, but I heard the kid likes Minnesota too.

Get a kid here on a visit and UND will always have a chance.

I think this would be Willert's senior year of high school. Is that correct, ND high school hockey followers? I'm very interested to see how he does this year in the USHL, as he's flying in under the radar, coming from Minot. Last Fall, someone here (jloos?) thought he looked good in the Elite League, so it's possible that he could step in and have a good USHL season. I actually met Jordan and his dad a few years ago at a Sioux game at the REA, and he was a big kid even then. I'm always a fan of having a Western ND presence on the team, so it would be nice if Willert could continue to develop, reach WCHA status, and maybe hook up with UND.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits