SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Sorry for the double post, but I have a few seperate comments:

Whoever it is that knows a lot about AJHL hockey, I'd love some input on Rodwell. This guy is unknown to me. It seems that there are better uncommitted forwards out there... not that Rodwell is bad, it's just that there's no information about him other than stats.

At least CSS looked at Wey and there's some information out there on Olsen.

What about Blake Thompson?

He's ranked #81 on the list.

im sure hak knows what type of players he wants. some may be more of a blue chip style and some may be more of a grinder type. im not saying thats what rodwell is but just imagining recruiting a team and different types of players to fill different roles

Sorry for the double post, but I have a few seperate comments:

Whoever it is that knows a lot about AJHL hockey, I'd love some input on Rodwell. This guy is unknown to me. It seems that there are better uncommitted forwards out there... not that Rodwell is bad, it's just that there's no information about him other than stats.

At least CSS looked at Wey and there's some information out there on Olsen.

What about Blake Thompson?

He's ranked #81 on the list.

You just named three defensemen, Rodwell is a forward.

Too lazy to look back, so sorry if this is old news to those on board:

Harvard's Crimson Hockey Blog reported that Conor Morrison of the BCHL's Salmon Arm is interested in going the NCAA route. His rumored choices are Harvard (duh, it's their blog), Wisconsin, UND, and BU.

He's a smallish forward, played at Northwood Prep (up near Lake Placid, NY), and represented Germany at the WJC's. With an '89 birth date I'm guessing he would be an '09 recruit.

Committed to Harvard according to Heisenberg. No uncertainty.

I think with Genoways offensive skill someone MAY take a chance on him, so I wouldn't discount him as a threat to leave at the end of the season. I will hold my breath this off season.

I don't have a link, but there was an article earlier this year about the short list of free agent defensemen in the college ranks. The article didn't mention or focus on Genoway, but with his solid numbers and performance, depending on the market this summer, there could be some offers. Also (this may have come from another thread), it would not surprise me if Zajac got an offer this year, or at least a tryout. He was invited to the Hawks camp last summer and with his improvements, there is a chance he could impress and get a contract. Again, I think both are long shots, but there is a chance for both of them.

I don't have a link, but there was an article earlier this year about the short list of free agent defensemen in the college ranks. The article didn't mention or focus on Genoway, but with his solid numbers and performance, depending on the market this summer, there could be some offers. Also (this may have come from another thread), it would not surprise me if Zajac got an offer this year, or at least a tryout. He was invited to the Hawks camp last summer and with his improvements, there is a chance he could impress and get a contract. Again, I think both are long shots, but there is a chance for both of them.

That is why I think the scouts are going to be drooling over Genoway.

Another factor is the economy.

I'm told that SSM isn't cheap. Hockey is already an expensive sport. So, if the program offers a similar quality program or at least commitment towards quality at a lesser price, there are going to be plenty of talent that goes a different direction.

This results in the big name recruits heading in different directions. The wealthier players will still end up there anyways and SSM and programs like it won't be totally devoid of talent, but I think it is becoming just as likely for a good Midget AAA or U18 program (Tier I juniors, High School, whatever) to have or even keep that talent rather than going to the top private hockey schools.

I don't know for sure though, just my wild hunch.

Just my gut feeling (having coached at the bantam level for several years now), but Notre Dame in Wilcox appears to have picked up their recruiting efforts in Canada over the last few years. What that means is that it will be a little more difficult for the Shattucks of this world to grab some of these guys without Notre Dame having a say.

On the other hand, 15 year old's playing AAA midget for an extra year (such as Michael St. Croix) is not as bad for their development as it may have been a number of years ago. The coaching at the Provincial AAA level appears to be pretty darn good.

Vegas,

Any idea where St. Croix might be in a few years (MJ vs. NCAA)?

I'm not Vegas, but St. Croix has played in at least one MJ game already this year. He scored in his debut.

I have a question for Vegas, though. What can we expect from O'Donnell if he continues to develop? Thanks.

In case anyone cares Garrett Clarke was suspended 16 games for his crosscheck in QMJHL.

Does anyone see Cichy or Kristo being on the top line next year?

yeah i saw that on clarke

and

who knows. very well could be but way to early to even know about that

I'm not Vegas, but St. Croix has played in at least one MJ game already this year. He scored in his debut.

I have a question for Vegas, though. What can we expect from O'Donnell if he continues to develop? Thanks.

O'Donnell - Great kid, hard worker, has some skill. Will be in the mold of the current Zajac kid. He will not set the world on fire but will be a very competent player for many years to come at UND.

Not at the same level as St. Croix and he is older than St. Croix. St. Croix is a special prospect in the mold of Jon Toews. He has already committed to MJ since his brother played with one of the coaches and they are comfortable with that situation.

UND was, however, very close to getting him which means they should not stop trying to get these guys.

Kyle Woodlief is a CHL shill and it wouldn't surprise me if he made up crap like this to make the CHL look better. Compare his rankings to the CSB rankings or (more importantly) actual draft day results, and you can easily see the pattern of undervaluing college bound talent. Despite that, he's probably accurate on Morin and Fowler.

Kyle Woodlief is a CHL shill and it wouldn't surprise me if he made up crap like this to make the CHL look better. Compare his rankings to the CSB rankings or (more importantly) actual draft day results, and you can easily see the pattern of undervaluing college bound talent. Despite that, he's probably accurate on Morin and Fowler.

That is actually the reason I tend to listen to the rumors he posts about MJs. I know he isn't a big fan of the NCAA, but I also know he spends WAY too much time online finding out all the details about Canadian Major Junior hockey, so its a good source to find out about those leagues and players.

Check out this article by Gare Joyce.

Look, you have to know that the system is badly broken when London manages to land Patrick Kane in the fifth round of a draft and Sam Gagner in the fourth the following year. That's not a product of a random shuffle. That's strictly dealing from the bottom. Both Kane and Gagner advertised plans to go to college. Both had a change of heart. You can say that the Knights drafted wisely and their gambles paid off ... just don't expect OHL general managers to take up the chorus. (Even the ones who do it themselves.)

And of course the OHL doesn't have sole ownership of the problem. Angelo Esposito, the top-ranked Q-eligible prospect in his draft year, was all set to go to the University of New Hampshire but then the Quebec Remparts came knocking with a middle first-rounder. Quelle surprise. If you think that the Remparts were actually gambling on convincing Esposito to come ... well, don't let anybody sell you the Victoria Bridge.

I've been struggling to think of a NCAA coach that I like. Mike Eaves at Wisconsin would be one, I guess. But the fact is, they get jerked around pretty badly in all this too. I don't need to like them to sympathize with them. But you have all these little con men flown in for tours of the campus while talking to a CHL GM or two on the sly ... it just reeks.