SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

2008:

Almost certainly some 2008s will defer to 2009

I wonder if the 08 recruits will have to defer with the possibility of how many players will be going pro AFTER this upcoming season. With all these current players sticking around for another season, I certainly won't expect them to stay yet another year after that.

So we can probably expect Oshie, Chorney, Finley, and Duncan to all go pro after this upcoming year (and Toews and Lee if they don't go pro this summer), not to mention the graduating losses of Lammy, Radke, Kaip, and Bina. That's alot of people to replace, as well as almost all of our starting d-corps.

I wonder if the 08 recruits will have to defer with the possibility of how many players will be going pro AFTER this upcoming season. With all these current players sticking around for another season, I certainly won't expect them to stay yet another year after that.

So we can probably expect Oshie, Chorney, Finley, and Duncan to all go pro after this upcoming year (and Toews and Lee if they don't go pro this summer), not to mention the graduating losses of Lammy, Radke, Kaip, and Bina. That's alot of people to replace, as well as almost all of our starting d-corps.

This is a sobering thought. Hopefully, Hak will just restock the cupboard!

At least they replaced their best forward with a top 5 draft pick ... plus adding a top 15 D - I think they will be better in 07-08.

UW loses their top 2 scorers - Joudrey and Dowell - in addition to Carlson (4th scorer), Brandt, Likens, Olinger, Elliott, Skille, and Piskula.

That's 4 of their top 5 scorers and their starting goalie. Even with an impressive incoming class, that's a lot of people to replace, and to expect a bunch of frosh to fill those roles is asking a bit much IMO.

I think the Sioux will be in a similar situation in 08-09.

i think dunc will be a 4 year player. Im optomistic that forney will come on strong next year.

Does anybody know if forney got surgery yet?? and how did it go?

i think dunc will be a 4 year player. Im optomistic that forney will come on strong next year.

Does anybody know if forney got surgery yet?? and how did it go?

Among those players that I listed, he was one that I thought could possibly stick around for all 4 years. If he has another great year, it will be hard to hold onto him, but it's possible.

I also think that a healthy Forney could have a good season next year.

UW loses their top 2 scorers - Joudrey and Dowell - in addition to Carlson (4th scorer), Brandt, Likens, Olinger, Elliott, Skille, and Piskula.

That's 4 of their top 5 scorers and their starting goalie. Even with an impressive incoming class, that's a lot of people to replace, and to expect a bunch of frosh to fill those roles is asking a bit much IMO.

I think the Sioux will be in a similar situation in 08-09.

Yes they will be young - welcome to the new WCHA - but they are young with high-end talent.

They will be better next year and then watch out in 08-09.

By 08-09, we probably won't have a 1st round draft pick on our team (Forney Rd 3 might be the highest draft, depending on where Eidsness and Malone go this year) - when is the last time that happened?

Yes they will be young - welcome to the new WCHA - but they are young with high-end talent.

They will be better next year and then watch out in 08-09.

By 08-09, we probably won't have a 1st round draft pick on our team (Forney Rd 3 might be the highest draft, depending on where Eidsness and Malone go this year) - when is the last time that happened?

that wont happen...i would bet money that und will have multiple players higher than 3rd round. david toews? cichy? gleason (i dont know where he would be projected)? i will bet that blood will go higher because of his size. and then kozek will be here probably. im sure im missing a couple, but draft status doesnt matter(otherwise minny would have more championships!).

Latest Update of players the Sioux may be interested in. I don't see us getting another goalie until 2009 at the earliest. We have very few spots if any for 2008 so some 2008s may be asked to defer to 2009. I bolded the players that I feel would be a huge pickup for the Sioux.

Ben Hanowski - Little Falls - Gopher fan with a Sioux coach, if he gives us a chance I think he will see that UND fits his style and development needs better.

You forgot to mention that he's in Husky territory. It's probably one of the two reasons SCSU is in play for him, along with the fact that his current linemate Festler is a Husky recruit . Edge goes to Sioux and Goofs, but this isn't a player that Motzko's gonna let go without a fight.

Haven't seen him play.

Read somewhere that Hughes wants to go to Michigan.

Hughes plays at Shattuck, so he's at least somewhat interested in North Dakota, but UND hasn't talked with him yet. It's very wide open in terms of which school he'll choose, but I get the feeling that it won't be North Dakota, unless circumstances change.

I beleive Forney had surgury on monday. No word on how it went.

We just saw him at the "Sioux-per Sunday" event. No arm slings or anything to indicate that he had surgery. Seems like you'd need some protection only 6 days after surgery, right? In other words, I'm guessing he hasn't had surgery yet.

Hughes plays at Shattuck, so he's at least somewhat interested in North Dakota, but UND hasn't talked with him yet. It's very wide open in terms of which school he'll choose, but I get the feeling that it won't be North Dakota, unless circumstances change.

I guess I'm not sure how merely playing at Shattuck makes anyone in the least bit interested in UND. UND does a lot of recruiting of Shattuck players, but I don't think Shattuck is the place players go to be noticed by UND.

I guess I'm not sure how merely playing at Shattuck makes anyone in the least bit interested in UND. UND does a lot of recruiting of Shattuck players, but I don't think Shattuck is the place players go to be noticed by UND.

UND has enough of a reputation there that I think most every kid playing at Shattuck at least considers the possibility of playing at UND.

If you look at the UND players that have come from Shattuck, there have really been no busts. UND has continued their development and many have played themselves into better draft positions (Stafford, J. Parise (FA)), or developed in such a manner that they vastly exceeded their draft positions (Taylor Corney, Matt Smaby, Zach Parise). As such players at Shattuck must certainly be aware that UNDs program is a viable option for development.

If you look at the UND players that have come from Shattuck, there have really been no busts. UND has continued their development and many have played themselves into better draft positions (Stafford, J. Parise (FA)), or developed in such a manner that they vastly exceeded their draft positions (Taylor Corney, Matt Smaby, Zach Parise). As such players at Shattuck must certainly be aware that UNDs program is a viable option for development.

I think our best players have come from Shattucks.

Not arguing that point. I'm saying that I'm not sure players attend Shattuck to be noticed by UND or to better their chances at playing at UND. A lot of great players have come from the BCHL and from the USHL or from high school hockey other than Shattuck.

It seems ludicrous to me to say "He's going to Shattuck so he'll be on UND's radar."

Not arguing that point. I'm saying that I'm not sure players attend Shattuck to be noticed by UND or to better their chances at playing at UND. A lot of great players have come from the BCHL and from the USHL or from high school hockey other than Shattuck.

It seems ludicrous to me to say "He's going to Shattuck so he'll be on UND's radar."

They also go to other schools - see Wisco recruit class of '08

I think our best players have come from Shattucks.

i'm wondering if anyone has taken note that the only player to come from shattuck's BEFORE the sioux's last championship was jesse bull.....just throwing that in there....i love the shattuck's pipeline but it was started with parise's class and hopefully it stays the way its' been, but it's only been in the last 5 years that it's produced for us like this

i'm wondering if anyone has taken note that the only player to come from shattuck's BEFORE the sioux's last championship was jesse bull.....just throwing that in there....i love the shattuck's pipeline but it was started with parise's class and hopefully it stays the way its' been, but it's only been in the last 5 years that it's produced for us like this

I always thought the best form of advertising is personal referrels. Hopefully the kids on UND that played at Shattucks give giving the program props.

Well Redwing, I'm pretty sure I can safely say that had you said that you would have been ripped. :silly:

We just saw him at the "Sioux-per Sunday" event. No arm slings or anything to indicate that he had surgery. Seems like you'd need some protection only 6 days after surgery, right? In other words, I'm guessing he hasn't had surgery yet.

If he has surgery, I think he should redshirt 07-08. If this kid isn't 100%, he won't break into the line-up. Take a year and rehab. We'll need him more once we lose the bulk of our team next year.

If he has surgery, I think he should redshirt 07-08. If this kid isn't 100%, he won't break into the line-up. Take a year and rehab. We'll need him more once we lose the bulk of our team next year.

that actually wouldnt be a bad idea...i would not want to see any player going out like hagemo again.