SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

There are definatly recruits in town this weekend. I saw Coach Eades giving some kid a tour... I'm trying to figure out who it is, but with little luck. Hopefully one of you can help. His jacket had what appeared to be a blue map leaf on it, and he was number 30. Anyone got any ideas?

Perhaps someone from the midget tourney in town?

There are definatly recruits in town this weekend. I saw Coach Eades giving some kid a tour... I'm trying to figure out who it is, but with little luck. Hopefully one of you can help. His jacket had what appeared to be a blue map leaf on it, and he was number 30. Anyone got any ideas?

Perhaps someone from the midget tourney in town?

The Herald reported earlier that goaltender Brad Thiessen would be visiting this weekend. Thiessen played in the BCHL All-Star game a couple of days ago. He was recently traded by Prince George to the Merritt Centennials. Last year, he spent part of the season with the Penticton Vees, who happen to have a blue maple leaf in their logo.

The Herald reported earlier that goaltender Brad Thiessen would be visiting this weekend. Thiessen played in the BCHL All-Star game a couple of days ago. He was recently traded by Prince George to the Merritt Centennials. Last year, he spent part of the season with the Penticton Vees, who happen to have a blue maple leaf in their logo.

That could definatly be who it is...

If he's a little guy, it could be Evan Trupp who committed a few weeks ago and currently plays for Penticton. Would guess he'd already have visited, though.

Kermit, NICE research.

Or is he a tall blond haired kid 6'4" in which case it could be their big Dman Miller or has he already committed somewhere else? The answer to who it is would appear to be linked to his height.

Or is he a tall blond haired kid 6'4" in which case it could be their big Dman Miller or has he already committed somewhere else? The answer to who it is would appear to be linked to his height.

We know Thiessen is supposed to be visiting this weekend. We know he played for a team with a blue maple leaf logo, and we know he is a goalie (30 is definitely a goaltender's number). Maybe a picture can clinch it: Brad Thiessen is on the right in this photo.

We know Thiessen is supposed to be visiting this weekend. We know he played for a team with a blue maple leaf logo, and we know he is a goalie (30 is definitely a goaltender's number). Maybe a picture can clinch it: Brad Thiessen is on the right in this photo.

Typically you wouldn't want to wear a former teams colors though which is the confusing issue. :huh:

It wasn't Trupp... because I saw him when he was here over the Gopher series... My guess is that it is Brad Thiessen. I'm pretty short, and there is no way that this kid was 6'4"... if you are going to the game tonight, my guess is he'll be on the bench during warm up as past recruits typically have been... so check it out, but I'm pretty sure it's Thiessen. (not 100% sure why we need another goalie, but maybe he won't come next year??)

Besides, those are JACKETS that they get to keep. Maybe he likes it? :huh:

However slim the chances are, Patrice Bergeron is playing in Boston w/ the number 37, so I guess anything goes. It's not like football, where if you're caught downfield w/ the wrong number your team gets a penalty...lol

I think it's Thiessen too.

It wasn't Trupp... because I saw him when he was here over the Gopher series... My guess is that it is Brad Thiessen. I'm pretty short, and there is no way that this kid was 6'4"... if you are going to the game tonight, my guess is he'll be on the bench during warm up as past recruits typically have been... so check it out, but I'm pretty sure it's Thiessen. (not 100% sure why we need another goalie, but maybe he won't come next year??)

yes we do need another goalie, there is a chance of jordy siging with a NHL team and leaving early. this would leave only phil (no disrespect to the 3rd string now) so we will need another solid option for many reasons or if jordy stays then maybe thiessen will wait 1 more year which would make sense. either way it could be a great signing.

Do Frank Serratorre's boys play for the Colorado Thunderbirds? If so, it would be fun to watch them, as I heard that they are supposed to be some good players.

No Serratorre's listed on the T-Birds roster. Had the chance to watch the Shattuck/Winnipeg game with SSM winning 6 - 2. SSM dominated play leading 5-0 after 2 periods. Third period was more competitive, but SSM has a solid team...of no surprise. Many of the SSM players stood out...Blood & Murray more than hold there own, but the entire line-up seems highly skilled. My understanding is this is only the 4th loss for the Winnipeg team with a season record of 23-4-5. Kelly Zajac seemed to be a non-factor, but you can tell he has skills along with many of the other Thrashers players. SSM was the far quicker and skilled team today.

SSM plays Team Illinois tomorrow at 3:30PM in the REA Olympic Rink. Coach Hakstol watched some of the 2nd period play.

Annyone know how David Toaws and his friend are doing since they got kicked off Shattucks team.

I'm told Dave Toews is playing with the Colorado Outlaws a AAA Midget Major team. Was unable to open the team website. Not sure about his friend...do you have a name?

I'm told Dave Toews is playing with the Colorado Outlaws a AAA Midget Major team. Was unable to open the team website. Not sure about his friend...do you have a name?

Their website seems to have been hacked. Anyhow, I can tell you that over the past couple of months the Outlaws have turned their season around and are scoring goals in bunches. I wonder why? :huh:

I heard Koberinski on the Coaches show say that they are trying to make this one of the biggest Midget tourneys. He said the field will probably keep growing. What a great recruiting opportunity to get some of the best talent out there to see the facilities and take in some Sioux games at the same time. It certainly can't hurt to expose players to UND at a young age. Something that could stick in the back of their minds as they progress as hockey players.

Looking ahead to '07 now that Christian and Kantola are off the board..

Forwards

Mario Lamoureax is accumulating more fights than goals this season.

Aaron Marvin has not been burning it up for Warroad HS, but he is #48 in the CSB rankings. Unranked by McKeen's, but he got a good review in an article on their "hot list" (subscription).

Jordan Willert The NHL CSB has him at #78 among North American skaters in the mid-term rankings for the 2006 draft. I've heard that his dream is to play for the Sioux, and that he intends to play another year in the USHL.

Taylor Matson, Academy of Holy Angels, may be the next Gopher target.

Ben Winnett is having an excellent rookie season with Salmon Arm.

Lucas Bloodoff is a 6'1" 200 lb '89 who is a rookie with the Trail Smoke Eaters of the BCHL.

Colin Wilson, David Toews, Kelsey Tessier, Jordy Murray, and Kelly Zajac are names that have been mentioned here who are potential 2008 recruits.

Defensemen

Derrick LaPoint, Eau Claire North HS, has visited UND. He's ranked #96 by the CSB. McKeen's says: "Passed up an offer to play in the USHL to finish out his high school career, and is being recruited by several colleges. Possesses the size (6-3/180), skating, and puckmoving skills to dominate at this level. Also mean and punishing in his own end. Will likely need a year of junior first." Minnesota, St. Cloud, and others are also in the picture.

Ben Blood is a 6'3" 200 lb. junior defenseman at Shattuck St. Mary's.

Goaltenders

Brad Thiessen was scheduled to visit UND this week. He could be an '06 recruit.

How about Bradyn Melrose? Plays for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs of the BCHL.....

G A Pts

28 Bradyn Melrose 40 19 28 47

6'3" 210 pounds...

"Bradyn had a strong second half of the season and received the Most Improved Player Award. His size and strength make him very difficult to handle in the offensive zone" (taken off their website)