SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs. U of Manitoba Bison(s)

siouxnami

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Returned from game. A few things I took notice of:

Overall sloppy, only one line looked like they've played together before...Stafford-Zajac-Spirko. Chemistry will build, and there's a ton of skill there. Once lines come together they will be able to figure out how to move the puck in the offensive zone. At times it looked like pee wees, with the puck bouncing back and forth.

For defensemen, Jones was noticably slow to get in place, needs to move his feet more. He got out muscled by Mighty Mouse (Stubbs), for the lone Bison goal. Chorney surprised me the most, but brought the puck in front of his own net once...and that's a no-no. I think he'll be really solid faster than was previously thought. Lee was also great, they have him quarterbacking a powerplay unit. He was not afraid to step into the play, but I hope he knows when to and when not to when playing faster teams. Also, it would be nice if he used his size to his advantage more often. Smaby was the same way when he started. Hennessy also said Lee looked good. Speaking of Smaby, he played like a vet, solid.

Radke, without a doubt, is playing with more confidence. He played agressive, as seen in the number of penalties he took, and was active on the offensive end. I hope, as Hakstol alluded to in the post-game, that he turned a corner.

On offense, the S-Z-S line was dominant. They interchanged a few players into it as well. Toews was a force, but also needs time to adjust. His shot from 3 feet out was in the net (I'm convinced) but I don't make that call. Oshie was quick, but quiet...I like how he's not afraid to crash the net, could score lots of garbage. Duncan was feisty for his size, he only got 2 shots, but scored on one.

The powerplay will be good this year (I think). As others have said, Stafford will have a great year, as will the rest of that liine. They really moved the puck well in the zone. Props to Lee and Radke working the point.

The penalty kill could be a weakness, especially if Smaby is the one in the box. We will need Zajac to be huge on the kill, and he's done it before. I'm sure the rooks will improve over time, but if there's an area of weakness, I foresee this being it. SIDENOTE...I know that UM was 0-9 on the PP, but a faster team would've buried the rebounds on many of those shots.

The learning curve slopes up, and it sounds like the 2nd-4th year guys are impressed with the freshmen. With a full week of practice they should be ready to face good competition.

I really was looking forward to Finley being out there!! BLAST! Have to wait till next week.

Good observations, I noticed a lot of the things you mentioned Tupa.

The thing that impressed me the most was the defense after Lamoureax came into the game. The defense struggled a lot early in the game with Parise in net, but when Lamoureax came in they kind of hit their groove (except for the whole skating in front of the net with the puck...whoops). Give them a couple of games, and I think the talent we have back there will make up for any inexperience.

Toews had a ton of shots on goal, and a lot of chances. I think if they keep him on the first line with Zajac and Stafford that line could do great things.

*It was also pretty neat to see the Roseau-Warroad combination of Oshie and Fabian on the same line... :lol:

Did Hak have much to say on the post-game?

How did Watkins look?  Did he play?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Watkins did play....didn't notice him too much. He obviously has a lot of speed but yeah I didnt notice him very much. Kozek's goal was a very very nice wrist shot off the post and in. Stafford and Zajac both looked stronger along the boards(if you can believe it) than they did last year. The first goal was an unbelievable pass from Zajac. Chorney and Lee are both extremely good skaters. Toews had tons of chances but couldnt put one in. Oshie had a solid game and looked very strong. Alexander played but had a fairly quiet game. Duncan has lots of skill, he should be around here for 4 years, and he reminds me a lot of Spiewak. I thought Jones played fine except for that goal. He knocked some people around. All in all I was very impressed with our freshmen considering it was only one game. This team has a great amount of offense.

I would think Prp knows that as a senior he's being counted on to be in the lineup and provide leadership for the young guys.  I would guess he wanted a go with whoever it was that antagonized him but he also knew he needed to be in the lineup next weekend.  We're young enough without the only senior forward being DQ'd.

Did mike get a DQ for his part in the incident?

Hakstol thought they played very well and was impressed with Jones. For a first game against a veteran team that has already played, I thought they had a very nice outing. I would hope that people aren't going to pick at every mistake the freshmen make, because there are bound to be many of them, especially the first half of the year. I really didn't see anyone out there that made frequent mistakes. A mistake here and there is really to be expected. As long as they learn from them, the Sioux should be a pretty good team by the second half of the season.

Hakstol thought they played very well and was impressed with Jones.  For a first game against a veteran team that has already played, I thought they had a very nice outing.  I would hope that people aren't going to pick at every mistake the freshmen make, because there are bound to be many of them, especially the first half of the year.  I really didn't see anyone out there that made frequent mistakes.  A mistake here and there is really to be expected.  As long as they learn from them, the Sioux should be a pretty good team by the second half of the season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was at the game and I heard Hak's comments, and I was surprised he singled out Jones as having a good game even saying that the loan Manitoba goal came on a bad bounce.

I thought Jones just wasn't up to the speed of the game so that's why I was surprised that Hak said that. But he knows more than I do.

I think Lee is the Roche reincarnate they've needed for a few years. Poised, solid D with a fine shot and great vision of the ice. I was impressed with Smaby, but as much as I whined about the Greene silly penalties last year, his and Jones and Schnieder's presence was missed. Smaby had some real nice hip checks near the end of the 2nd period. Solid

Spirko, Zajac and Stafford were virtually unstoppable.

I had to miss todays game,  how was the PA announcer and the size of the crowd?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The PA announcer was very good. He's only 18?!? I read somewhere, when reading about Brooks earlier, that the hockey game was sold out. Could've fooled me. I believe attendance was anounced at around 10,400. I don't remember the exact number but that was close. Lots of empty seats. But it was a gorgeous day today, could be most wanted to enjoy the last day of summer.

Just after the fight, while the milling around, waiting for decisions, the camera went to and stayed on a fan holding up a sign that said the Fighting Sioux name would live forever, or something close to that. Got a standing ovation from the few thousand still there.

I have to say that I was extremely proud of the fans for their response to the Canadian national anthem. Long, loud appause. Classy.

I had heard last spring some NAHL coaches commented that Alexander was an underappreciated talent. Of course, with the guys coming in with more, say, exposure, it was easy to discount him. But maybe Alexander will play more of a role than some of us gave him credit for. Who knows how good Manitoba is, so I guess we'll see as times goes on.

Still, it's better to look solid against a poor team, than look lost against a poor team!

Of the 5 incoming freshmen D Jones has kind of taken a back seat to Chorney and Lee as far as expectations. It's good to hear the coach compliment his play as well. As others have said, D is a question mark but it sounds like they played well tonite.

Also good to hear the positive comments on Radke, as his contributions will be significant if he's stepped up from last year.

Very good assessment mikejm. Except for one thing. Did you really just spell our best player's last name wrong?? Zajak? I'm sorry but I had to do that :) I basically saw the same things you did tonight. Very sound game by the team considering it was really their 2nd practice. I also wondered earlier when people said that Jones had a bad game. I thought he had a great game, I didnt even think the goal was much his fault. It looked like he may have lost his balance for a split second trying to move over. He looked really strong though. The forwards excite me though. Kozek's shot was so nice I hope he produces about 30 more of those this year :lol:

All I can say is that I feel a lot better about this season's team beating Manitoba 6-1 than last season's team beating them 8-3. Last year, the Sioux outshot the Bisons 24-19, which made me worried about how much offense the Sioux would generate. It was a sign of things to come. This time, the shot differential was 49-18, and if not for some great saves by Krister Toews, it could easily have been a 10-1 game.

I had heard last spring some NAHL coaches commented that Alexander was an underappreciated talent.  Of course, with the guys coming in with more, say, exposure, it was easy to discount him.  But maybe Alexander will play more of a role than some of us gave him credit for.  Who knows how good Manitoba is, so I guess we'll see as times goes on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I could have seen the game (#%#@ dataflix) however, Canadian university hockey has also been getting stronger over the past several years. More players have started making the pros and it has been noted by former Major Junior players who have no eligibility to play south of the border and see this route as their last chance. When you also consider their age versus the average age of the Sioux team, I believe that it makes yesterdays performance and score even more impressive. This years Sioux won't have to count on one line to do all their scoring and the young D will do just fine with two experienced Goalies to bail them out from time to time.

I had heard last spring some NAHL coaches commented that Alexander was an underappreciated talent.  Of course, with the guys coming in with more, say, exposure, it was easy to discount him.  But maybe Alexander will play more of a role than some of us gave him credit for.  Who knows how good Manitoba is, so I guess we'll see as times goes on.

Still, it's better to look solid against a poor team, than look lost against a poor team!

Of the 5 incoming freshmen D Jones has kind of taken a back seat to Chorney and Lee as far as expectations.  It's good to hear the coach compliment his play as well.  As others have said, D is a question mark but it sounds like they played well tonite.

Also good to hear the positive comments on Radke, as his contributions will be significant if he's stepped up from last year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THis is heartwarming to hear. And yes, I'm REALLY REALLY happy to hear good things about Smaby and Radke. Especially Radke.