SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs. U of Manitoba Bison(s)

siouxnami

I thought it would be nice to talk some hockey, even if the game doesn't count.

This game is typically a Sioux route, but we may get a feel how the Sioux will play aginst a bigger team. The roster below is last years, but you can see that Manitoba is a big team.

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/physed/a...ns/roster.shtml

Here is the website for their program.

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/physed/a...ens/index.shtml

I can't find a fans site for the program.

I go Sioux 7 - Manitoba 3

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How fast people forget Schneiders end to end run and a score. :lol:

I don't think the Bison will be any problem for the Sioux. They're big, but they have to conform to NCAA rules, so their game plan has to be modified.

THat forces them to skate. Though some of our guys are big, Hak likes to recruit guys who can skate too.

I don't think this game will be that difficult.

Double post I know, but I hope those 2 5'7" players play. One of them is a defenseman!

Could you imagine Finley meeting up with one of those guys? Despite it would assuredly be a 2 minute penalty for contact to the head roughing or something like that, it would be spectacular.

Here's the makeup of the Bison as for any pro attention:

Bear in mind that most of these players, though they may have gotten drafted, are now technically free agents under the new CBA. Also, CIAU/CIS is where Major junior players go when they couldn't get signed by pro teams hoping just to hold on a little longer.

Grant Jacobsen (Center) was a 9th round pick by the Blues in 2001

Travis Eagles (Center) was a 7th round pick by the Panthers in 1999

David Cameron (Center) was a 3rd round pick by the Penguins in 1998

Warren McCutcheon (Forward) was an 8th round pick by the Devils in 2000

That's it. Jordan Little, though has some fame if I recall correctly as he was on that Canadian reality tv show on hockey.

Also, Gidney, a defenseman, played for NMU before coming to Manitoba.

I really think this team is all size and no skill

Ran across a blurb that said the bisons will actually be playing an AHL team before they take on the Sioux and that they beat the Vancouver Canucks rookie team.

So a couple of questions here. How in the heck can a Canadian University team compete against an AHL team when they get blown out by NCAA teams?!? Have they lost their minds in agreeing to play an AHL team?!?!? Or perhaps are they greatly improved and will they give the Sioux a run for their money and perhaps even beat them?

Ran across a blurb that said the bisons will actually be playing an AHL team before they take on the Sioux and that they beat the Vancouver Canucks rookie team.

So a couple of questions here. How in the heck can a Canadian University team compete against an AHL team when they get blown out by NCAA teams?!? Have they lost their minds in agreeing to play an AHL team?!?!? Or perhaps are they greatly improved and will they give the Sioux a run for their money and perhaps even beat them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$$$$$$$$ perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to see the lines for this weekend look like this

Toews    Zajaz      Stafford

Spirko    Oshie        Porter

Fabian    Kaip        Prpich

Watkins  Duncan    Kozek

Martens  Miller        Foyt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Toews is a natural center and should probably center the second line to start the season. Once you see this kid play you will understand. His vision is second to none and that includes Zajac.

I know it is still a couple of days away and the game is only an exhibition, but I'm getting pumped to see some of the "newbies" on the team.

I will always remember the Sioux fans getting introduced to Zach Parise and the skills he brought to the game in his first game against Manitoba. He one-timed a pass from the circle and top-shelfed it to score a goal.

The game might not mean anything in statistics, but it will be a good time.

I know it is still a couple of days away and the game is only an exhibition, but I'm getting pumped to see some of the "newbies" on the team.

I will always remember the Sioux fans getting introduced to Zach Parise and the skills he brought to the game in his first game against Manitoba.  He one-timed a pass from the circle and top-shelfed it to score a goal. 

The game might  not mean anything in statistics, but it will be a good time.

As much as I hate to see favorite seniors moving on, every fall I'm just as excited if not more excited to see the new prospects come in. They don't all work out, but it's a lot of fun to anticipate their arrival and watch how they do.

I think we're fortunate to be a fan of a team like North Dakota, who has a track record of bringing in exciting recruits. Can't imagine it is quite as much fun for fans of some other teams who are bringing in 2nd tier recruits for the most part.