SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs. U of Manitoba Bison(s)

siouxnami

**Note the tongue in cheek tone**

It's not surprising with the Lucia mentality that we don't play hard when it doesn't matter.

**End of that nonsense**

I love having hockey back. Did you go to the game Sagard? How did the lines seem to shape up? Does Briggs/ Frazee seem to have an edge into the next few games?

Not that I'm scouting or spying, I am just curious. I've always hated going a week between games. The anticipation kills me. I guess if UND played on an NHL schedule my head would explode.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like the Gophers had a bit of trouble with some Canucks in their opening exhibition. The shots on goal show that the Gophers pretty much dominated offensively, but the goaltending looks less than stellar. Alberta had three goals on 24 shots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How could all the so called experts :lol: be so wrong. Top ranked team and top ranked freshman class and all, yet they barely scrape out a win over a CIAU team. Frazzled was supposed to be the second coming based on his international play. But wait, he doesn't have the D that made him look so good as they are all at different DI schools and close to half are at one school in particular. :)

How could all the so called experts :lol: be so wrong. Top ranked team and top ranked freshman class and all, yet they barely scrape out a win over a CIAU team. Frazzled was supposed to be the second coming based on his international play. But wait, he doesn't have the D that made him look so good as they are all at different DI schools and close to half are at one school in particular. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was an exhibition game for crying out loud. If you're going to draw all sorts of conclusions from one game, then the Minnesota Wild will win the Stanley Cup. It isn't a requirement on this board to be objective, what with the partisan nature, but it would sure be nice, if even ever so slightly.

It was an exhibition game for crying out loud. If you're going to draw all sorts of conclusions from one game, then the Minnesota Wild will win the Stanley Cup. It isn't a requirement on this board to be objective, what with the partisan nature, but it would sure be nice, if even ever so slightly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, when talking the Goofers and all their unwarranted hype, it isn't in my nature. ;)

It was an exhibition game for crying out loud.  If you're going to draw all sorts of conclusions from one game,  then the Minnesota Wild will win the Stanley Cup.

You mean they aren't? :lol::)

I wasn't trying to start an anti-Gopher flame fest. I just thought the final score was interesting. I have no idea how much better Alberta is in comparison to Manitoba. Maybe it's a much better team. Anyone know?

I love having hockey back.  Did you go to the game Sagard?  How did the lines seem to shape up?  Does Briggs/ Frazee seem to have an edge into the next few games? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep I went down to the arena. Briggs looked fine, didn't look like he had much of a chance on the goal he gave up, only had to make one tough save.

Frazee made a few nice stops but probably should have stopped one that he let in.

The "Golden Bears" really made them work which was nice. Most of these exhibitions seem to be a waste, but this was OK. Maybe it was just because I hadn't seen a game in so long.

Kessel was doing some stuff that he won't get away with in WCHA play and he will need to move the puck to teammates a little quicker in the neutral zone. He seemed to try to do a little too much on his own at times, but I highly doubt that will last with last with Irmen on his wing. His anticipation and hands are dare I say Parise like, though I realize he doesn't back check and isn't an all around player. :lol::)

Wheeler is strikingly similar to Tallackson in appearance. Just flat out weird. His effort was strong all game long and he was paired with Guyer.

The Gophers have a long ways to go and I would guess someone else will be number one most of the year, just hopefully not at the end.

I wasn't trying to start an anti-Gopher flame fest. I just thought the final score was interesting. I have no idea how much better Alberta is in comparison to Manitoba. Maybe it's a much better team. Anyone know?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt there is that much difference between Alberta and Manitoba. Alberta plays MSU and SCSU on this trip so we can get a little comparison from those games.

The Golden Bears are the defending CIS champions but it looks like they lost a good part of their team and are in a rebuilding mode. I don't know how much better they are than Manitoba but they lost to Sasketewan 3-1 before their game against the Gophs.

Some of the faithful on GPL would give this game a bit more credence than you. Of course, some over there made fun of the SS crowd for the same kind of comments. ;)

The Golden Bears are the defending CIS champions but it looks like they lost a good part of their team and are in a rebuilding mode. I don't know how much better they are than Manitoba but they lost to Sasketewan 3-1 before their game against the Gophs.

Alberta was missing their captain yesterday too. Thanks to Iceburg on GPL for posting the link:

Alberta-MN game

It may be entirely meaningless, but it is interesting that in the Sioux victory over Manitoba the veterans led the way in scoring, while in the MN game against Alberta it seems to be that the freshman led the way. As I said, it is probably meaningless, but interesting nonetheless. It may, and I stress may, be an indication of team leadership, or lack thereof. In the end, time and the season will tell whether this single game indicator is meaningless or verrrrry interesting.