SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Winona

sprig

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the game, but it was hot and muggy there.

Funniest comment on WSU pregame was when one of the guys said that he expected the weather to bother UND since it's cooler up in GF this time of year. I believe it was in the 80s there today. A couple of degrees doesn't make a difference.

Thank goodness it was a blowout, because the guys looked tired at the end of the game and it was do to the heat, but WSU had the same problems. Seemed like WSU played a lot of second stringers. Their backup QB (Able?) was pretty good.

We weren't overly dominating on offense. Left a lot of points on the field again. We had such great field position all day so that Glas got some FGs. Plus Dressler and #6 had some exciting big plays.

Defense looked great. Didn't do anything too special. Didn't really sack the QB or blitz a ton, just maintained pressure. The RB for WSU (Weeks?) was really a nice shifty runner.

I don't think that all the penalties on us were necessarily bad calls, but could have been no calls. Often one ref wouldn't flag it and another would come running in and throw the flag. They did miss a lot of holds on Winona.

A blowout like this scares me for the playoffs if we face this team again. WSU played like crap today. Everything that could go wrong did. Their offense seemed out of sync. Not quite the craziness that I remember. Can't let this go to our heads, because we need to remember that it could have been us having balls intercepted, dropping punts, and not being able to connect with a receiver in the endzone.

Dressler is pure excitement when he touches the ball.

Edited by Smoggy

I don't know if WSU will even make the playoffs with them having two loses now.  With todays games, it looks like Bemidji State might be the team to beat in the NSIC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True.

Can someone explain the NSIC autobid? Isn't if they have a team in the top ten of the region then they get in the playoffs.

What's up with Mankato losing to BSU? Didn't they beat NWMSU last weekend?

Can someone explain the NSIC autobid?  Isn't if they have a team in the top ten of the region then they get in the playoffs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. The top 6 teams in the regional rankings make the playoffs. However if there is a team that is ranked 7-10, but is the highest ranked team from their conference, they will make the playoffs and the #6 ranked team in the region will not. That will likely be the case for the NSIC champ, unless they go undefeated. They'll make the playoffs as the #6 seed despite not being in the Top 6 of the Northwest Regional Rankings.

What's up with Mankato losing to BSU?  Didn't they beat NWMSU last weekend?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mankato lost to NWMSU two weeks ago in OT. UNO is who beat NWMSU last week.

great win for the Sioux on the road...in hostile conditions...with the first couple plays going wrong. Winona had the table set for them but they tipped it over trying to get to the main course before the appetizer. This is big for Playoff implications - maybe they could have run a play at the end instead of kicking a fieldgoal to tip it over 50 points but I think UND wanted to make a "little" point that the "game of the century" turned out to be the "*ss-kicking of the century"...live and learn :silly:

Even if he is playing well how can they not let Manke play? He has played well this year. He has earned it and there is no excuse not to get him time with the "ones" in the first half. They left Belmore in last year when he didn't play well against St. Cloud and Augie and it cost them one game and almost both games.

I can't believe Dale is that thougthless that he doesn't understand what he is doing to the kid and the program when other QB's don't get in. Thomas did the same thing, then when he need the #2 guy they never had experience.

Coaches don't send their HS kids to UND to sit on the bench during a blowout!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Belmore is the starter and that is why they leave him in. Obviously the coaching staff believes he is the better of the QB's right now. For you to say that Dale is "thoughtless" because you disagree with that, is ridiculous. More often than not, rotating QB's can be very negative to the continuity of the offense, otherwise it would be more prevalent at every level. There are a lot of good Qb's that are backups at every level. Not everybody can start. You have to have role-players on the team as well. Without them, a team would not survive. No doubt, Manke is a great athlete and a good QB. However, for now he is UND's backup.

Do you think that every HS coach who sends a kid to college expects every kid he sends to start? I really don't think you believe that. I listened to the game and Manke was in the game midway through the 3rd quarter with the "ones". Sounds like everybody that dressed with the team yesterday got in the game. So I don't believe anybody sat on the bench during the blowout, except for the starters.

By the way, for the other Belmore bashers out there. He was 10-12 for 176 and 4 TD's. Thats a efficiency rating of 316.53. Not bad. :silly:

Defense looked great.  Didn't do anything too special.  Didn't really sack the QB or blitz a ton, just maintained pressure. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They didn't do anything special? How many interceptions? A returned INT for a TD. They gave the offense great field position numerous times. After reading your post, you make it sound like we almost lost that game or something.

Belmore is the starter and that is why they leave him in. Obviously the coaching staff believes he is the better of the QB's right now. For you to say that Dale is "thoughtless" because you disagree with that, is ridiculous. More often than not, rotating QB's can be very negative to the continuity of the offense, otherwise it would be more prevalent at every level. There are a lot of good Qb's that are backups at every level. Not everybody can start. You have to have role-players on the team as well. Without them, a team would not survive. No doubt, Manke is a great athlete and a good QB. However, for now he is UND's backup.

Do you think that every HS coach who sends a kid to college expects every kid he sends to start? I really don't think you believe that. I listened to the game and Manke was in the game midway through the 3rd quarter with the "ones". Sounds like everybody that dressed with the team yesterday got in the game. So I don't believe anybody sat on the bench during the blowout, except for the starters.

By the way, for the other Belmore bashers out there. He was 10-12 for 176 and 4 TD's. Thats a efficiency rating of 316.53. Not bad. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said! You have to believe that the coaching staff has the best interest of the team at heart. That means they feel Belmore is their starter. That certainly doesn't mean they don't appreciate Manke's talent, etc.

Well said! You have to believe that the coaching staff has the best interest of the team at heart. That means they feel Belmore is their starter. That certainly doesn't mean they don't appreciate Manke's talent, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has nothing to do with who the starter is. Belmore is doing a great job and has had two very good games and there is no question as to who the starter is and should be . Both Dale and Roger have neglected their number two QB's over time and it has hurt them. Rislov left because he got very little PT as a backup. He was good enough to start at SanDiego and thus we lost a quality backup. We aren't going to lose Manke but I think he deserves better. Doesn't mean Dale doesn't have the best interest of the team, just a difference in philosophy. One of the reasons a lot of kids go to UND is that they will get PT as a one or a two. Doesn't happen at QB and I think it is a mistake. Mopping up in the fourth quarter with the 2's and 3's isn't the same as PT with the 1's when it still means something. It drove me nuts when Roger did it and it bothers me now whether it be Manke, Carney or whomever they ahve earned more PT beyond mop up duty.

My thoughts are simpler than Belmore vs. Manke or whomever.

I want a QB who can throw down the field and is willing to do so. HOWEVER, there's nothing saying Belmore isn't that QB. So, I modify this to say, I wanta QB with an OCord who is willing and able to throw down the field more than 10 yards.

I'm tired of short pass, run, screen as the three plays on offense.

My thoughts are simpler than Belmore vs. Manke or whomever.

I want a QB who can throw down the field and is willing to do so.  HOWEVER, there's nothing saying Belmore isn't that QB.  So, I modify this to say, I wanta QB with an OCord who is willing and able to throw down the field more than 10 yards.

I'm tired of short pass, run, screen as the three plays on offense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't that the plays sent in from the bench though? The vertical passing game is often there and we are pretty conservative. I would like to see the Sioux take advantage of it but what they do does seem to work.

They didn't do anything special? How many interceptions? A returned INT for a TD. They gave the offense great field position numerous times. After reading your post, you make it sound like we almost lost that game or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was referring to the rush on the QB. We had good pressure, but only a couple of sacks. The INT and TD were a gift from their QB that couldn't throw an accurate pass. I mentioned that our O had great field position which is from a number of things. Our D putting them on a lot of three and outs and their punter not kicking longer than 30 yards.

I'm looking at it from a coach's perspective and possible playoff implication. I don't want us having big heads thinking we destroyed them. We did, but I think it was more of them playing awful and having everything go wrong compared to us having an amazing game. Don't get me wrong, we played great, but we could've been the ones turning the ball over for TDs. Plus, the O left many points on the field which may haunt us in a close game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was not bashing him, I just said I wasn't very impressed with him yesterday. I watched the webcast and he seemed to struggle making quick decisions. Specifically when when it was to stay in the pocket or get out on the edge and possibly run. I didn't say Manke would do better, I think his results while in the game where about the same. Both QB's where not really under pressure the entire game, so numbers should be good.

The INT and TD were a gift from their QB that couldn't throw an accurate pass.

2 picks happened because the QB took 3 steps and was hit trying to get rid of the ball. He should have just taken the sack, but either way it wasn't completely the QB's fault. Some of the credit needs to go to the UND defense and the WSU O Line.

As a fan I understand it gets a little frustrating, but UND is built on defense. The defense is what carries the team and the offense needs to produce points while also taking time off the clock and keeping the defense fresh. It isn't the most exciting offensive football, but would you rather UND run the veer or wishbone in an attempt to accomplish the same thing.

The coaches football philosophy is what dictates how they play on offense and defense, it has made UND football successful up to this point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. Wear down the other teams defense. Sioux football = pound the ball in. You have a higher success rate when you gain 3-4 yards (or 2 bubble screens) a play compared to shooting for 20 yards every few downs.

I think UND is a very physical team that can beat the opposition up and hand it to them in the second half. The did this against West Chester, I think they will do it against the Western Washington also. There is definately a difference between NSIC teams and NCC teams.