SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Summit League Commissioner monitoring retirement of Fighting Sioux nickname.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/27...group/homepage/

I don't like the sound of that. I feel like Douple has a lot more control in this situation than he should have.

Now "Douple told the UND athletic director that the school’s application to join the Summit will be discussed at a meeting of league presidents in June."

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/157846/

Glad they cleared that up. :silly: And am I the only one confused by Wayne Nelson's story in the quote above that said Douple "didn't know if they would address" UND's application? Just seems hard to get a straight word from that guy. Frustrating enough as a fan. The media that have to cover stories where they get quotes and/or information from him must pull their hair out at times. :(

Why would the Summit want UND? That article says that Centenary is leaving and USD is moving in to take the 10th spot.

The WCHA wouldn't expand to 11 teams with just BSU according to McClown because it is a 6 year schedule instead of 3 or 4 years and it is very complicated.

That was for one sport, why complicate all sports?

Just a thought...

Why would the Summit want UND? That article says that Centenary is leaving and USD is moving in to take the 10th spot. The WCHA wouldn't expand to 11 teams according to McClown because it is a 6 year schedule instead of 3 or 4 and it is very complicated.

Just a thought...

For scheduling reasons, they really don't want UND until either Southern Utah leaves for the Big Sky (very likely to be announced this summer after the PAC10, MWC, WAC, Big Sky moves clear up) or if they add another school.

If the Southern Utah move happens, the Summit would really want a 10th team soon thereafter. Southern Utah would need to give like 18 months notice, so it's not like UND could be playing in the Summit until 2012 at the very earliest. 2013-2014 is more likely.

For scheduling reasons, they really don't want UND until either Southern Utah leaves for the Big Sky (very likely to be announced this summer after the PAC10, MWC, WAC, Big Sky moves clear up) or if they add another school.

If the Southern Utah move happens, the Summit would really want a 10th team soon thereafter. Southern Utah would need to give like 18 months notice, so it's not like UND could be playing in the Summit until 2012 at the very earliest. 2013-2014 is more likely.

An 11 team conference works out for basketball. 20 conference games, home/home with each member, and still be able to schedule 7 non-conference games/year. An 11 team WCHA does not work because of the unbalanced schedule it creates.

An 11 team conference works out for basketball. 20 conference games, home/home with each member, and still be able to schedule 7 non-conference games/year. An 11 team WCHA does not work because of the unbalanced schedule it creates.

It can work, but the travel isn't efficient. It's not like hockey where two teams play a series. With 11 teams, the Thursday/Saturday travel partners will not be consistent. One team will always have either an open weekend or will only get one game. That could mean Oakland traveling 3 or 4 times to the Dakotas to get in four games.

I see Alumni donors are beginning to weigh in, doesn't look good for Kelley or Faison, what with the accusation against Kelley of managing UND and not leading, sounds like someone is going to get shown the door. Do you really believe that the action taken by the SBoHE is truly the final decision? Interestingly, present at that meeting was B.J. Rainbow, a guy that is a close second to Erich Longie at Spirit Lake in his opposition to the logo, apparently now it's necessary for proponents of the nickname logo to be at the meetings of the SBoHE. Just sit back and watch the fallout, the money people are just beginning to voice their frustration, and lack of confidence in the University leaders. On a side note, how about them Bison shoplifters, what a tradition, one that the NCAA can be proud of.

Why would the Summit want UND? That article says that Centenary is leaving and USD is moving in to take the 10th spot.

The WCHA wouldn't expand to 11 teams with just BSU according to McClown because it is a 6 year schedule instead of 3 or 4 years and it is very complicated.

Just a thought...

Isn't the Summit League going after Denver University?

Yeah Crevec, where the hell is Bison Boy's response to your numbers, Summit League indeed. Bison football is really making news, how about getting us some

52" HD tv's, now that's something to be proud of....

Better yet have them get us some new 3D TV's. Just put them in a cart and wheel them out. You know the Bison Shuffle

I was about 5 days late in getting this up, but those who were around in 2001 should remember something like this new page...

Sioux Name coverage

I'll keep it up as long as there's anything interesting. What 10 years of technology has bought us is... you can add news stories to it yourself by going to the news page and submitting an article/photo/video in the new "Sioux Nickname" category.

Not really a story on the Sioux name, but mentioned inaccurately in this story.....

The University of North Dakota recently received news that the state’s Supreme Court had voted to require the school to change its “Fighting Sioux” nickname.

Evidently the Wisconsin High Schools may be required to change their names..

The Wisconsin Senate has moved an effort to make it harder for schools to keep Native American logos and nicknames one step closer to becoming reality.

In a tight 17-16 vote, the Senate approved a measure that would allow any resident within a school district to file a formal complaint with the state superintendent in protest of the use of a Native American logo, mascot or nickname. If the superintendent agrees with the complaint, the school in question could be forced to stop using nickname or be subject to fines of up to $1,000 per day.

PC run amok.

Not really a story on the Sioux name, but mentioned inaccurately in this story.....

Evidently the Wisconsin High Schools may be required to change their names.. PC run amok.

A kid, vendor, at the F4, Detreoit, told me his high school is changing their name from Warriors to :silly:. He had asked what we were going to do about the name being retired.

I was listening to the 5:00 news and there was mention of a new letter by Charles Murphy to the state board.... anyone have any more info on this?

From KVLY at 5:30 Neil Carlson said Charles Murphy and someone else on the tribe is going to review the petition signatures and possibly kick start the referendum to put the issue to a vote. I think they cannot ignore over 1000 people who signed it. Its making the board look more and more stupid for jumping the gun to retire the name early.

Iam really surprised it has taken all of these people this long to get proactive about this issue. I would have thought that the people would have banded together along time ago.

May be it took this action to finally piss people off.

Either way I wish you folks well on keeping the nickname.

From KVLY at 5:30 Neil Carlson said Charles Murphy and someone else on the tribe is going to review the petition signatures and possibly kick start the referendum to put the issue to a vote. I think they cannot ignore over 1000 people who signed it. Its making the board look more and more stupid for jumping the gun to retire the name early.

Neil's still around! Man, the memories his name brings back, the River Queen........