SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Best case is Standing Rock holding a special vote early June and it passing.

Then what? Are both SR and SL going to sign 30 year contracts to support the nickname?

Then the Sioux nickname will remain. There is no requirement in the NCAA settlement for a 30 year contract. It would obviously be preferred (I've long advocated for a long-term contract tied to financial incentives), but there is no way the SBoHE would have the political will to drop the nickname if both tribes formally approved the nickname and UND was in full NCAA compliance. There would be holy he!l to the pay if they did something that stupid.

Let's just hope the SBoHE isn't stupid enough to drop the name now after all the work that has been done and how close UND might be to keeping it.

*especially now that they don't need to drop it for a sports conference. :sad:

If they have both tribes agreeing to keep the nickname, they better find a way to finalize this thing. What a bite it would be if the NCAA conditions were met but this gets held up by our own SBoHE...

Yeh, we get it, Minneapolis/Bison, you want the nickname and logo retired as soon as possible, so "our" Fighting Sioux don't miss out on

the once in a lifetime opportunity to get into the vaunted Summit League, like I told you previously, I watched the Summit League Post

Season tournament, looked like an event that lost money to me. The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux are about making money, remember the old

adage, you go to NDSU to learn how to farm, you go to UND to own the farm. That sensibility has continued as our tradition along with the

tradition of the Fighting Sioux nickname/logo. Nuff said..and I do not care what you put together as a reply, we know what you think and you

won't be changing my mind about anything. Until you've travelled with our beloved hockey team, you'll never be able to figure it out...

Yeh, we get it, Minneapolis/Bison, you want the nickname and logo retired as soon as possible, so "our" Fighting Sioux don't miss out on

the once in a lifetime opportunity to get into the vaunted Summit League, like I told you previously, I watched the Summit League Post

Season tournament, looked like an event that lost money to me. The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux are about making money, remember the old

adage, you go to NDSU to learn how to farm, you go to UND to own the farm. That sensibility has continued as our tradition along with the

tradition of the Fighting Sioux nickname/logo. Nuff said..and I do not care what you put together as a reply, we know what you think and you

won't be changing my mind about anything. Until you've travelled with our beloved hockey team, you'll never be able to figure it out...

Anybody else wish that Knickball 2 and Mplsbison would find some other forum where the two could continue their endless debate regarding this so the rest of us could try and actually discuss this issue with some amount of reason?

Anybody else wish that Knickball 2 and Mplsbison would find some other forum where the two could continue their endless debate regarding this so the rest of us could try and actually discuss this issue with some amount of reason?

Reason or just your point of view?

And until you've experienced your team being a part of march madness, you'll never be able to figure it out.

I guess you did experience March Madness. It was very short and sweet. Your run lasted an hour and a half. Our National Championships of March Madness over the years have lasted a little longer than your hour and a half. If you had experienced them you would know what we are talking about.

Good point the other night I was watching a replay of a Summit League game and there must have 500 people in the stand and the event was sparsely attended. Wow! I can

Simply put, I'll take Sunday night's Sioux win over the Gophers any day over the one and done NDSU loss to Kansas. The crowd involvement

and excitement was extreme, in fact the whole weekend was good old time Fighting Sioux hockey. Any Summit League teams still playing, oh yeah, the

Oakland men's basketball team will be doing a one and done, just like SU last March. Wouldn't Oakland make a good Great West member, since we're so

concerned about proximity and travel, sarcasm....

Boy knickball, your disdain for basketball is more than apparent. What in the world did basketball ever do to you? To have you seething about it all the time. I know alot of Sioux fans and by and large most basketball fans, even though they are not the biggest hockey fans- have & take interest about in Sioux hockey, but if you ask a hockey fan about basketball, they make some remark about how they don't care about basketball, or make some dig about it to denegrate it in some way. I have a feeling you fall into that category. The fact that I proudly like and support both programs definitely puts me in the minority, and it surely has always brought the fury of the hockey only fans upon me at times in my life. Some have said that I basically have no business being a Sioux hockey fan if I like basketball too. That is the attitude that I've encountered, and it continually is getting perpetuated and pushed on this site and live and in person as well, especially now with the name and logo situation, it's as if we basketball people are to blame too.

Maybe it's time we just axe basketball here at UND, it's certainly not worth the continued expense. Just think of the savings for the athletic department. Then all my hockey only friends will at least be nicer to me since I won't have basketball to cheer about anymore, and they won't have to even worry about wasting their time to make some smart-ass dig about it. Plus, then I won't have to then respond with some dig about hockey...which if I ever do- they instantly get all defensive about it. So when they tease me about basketball, I'm suppose to take it jokingly, but when I tease hockey only fans about hockey... they are allowed to get all defensive about it. I'm beginning to see how this works now. The solution to me is simple. Drop basketball at UND. It's not even worth pursuing a "one shining moment" opportunity ever.