SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

If Irish people took offense to the Notre Dame mascot, they would get full support.

I highly doubt it. Afterall, the "Fighting Irish" don't really represent a people nearly as "oppressed" as various Indian tribes, farm animals, etc., depending on the interest groups. Moreover, the NC$$ would never, ever tangle with Notre Dame. But they'd have no problem beating up some small college like Grambling, as another columnist noted, if they used the same/similar name.

Here is a classic example of a columnist setting his mind to something, and really only chasing the facts, or so-called facts, in support of his hypothesis.

Sure, Boob Sansavere is a columnist, not a journalist. That is why he need not look into, or write on, the University's side of the issue.

It is about as weak-kneed a position that I have seen opined on this topic since Nick Coleman's effort in the Star & Sickle a few weeks back.

Savsavere Drivel in Pioneer Press

I am not sure if the link will go direct. You may need to do the free register to get at the Pioneer Press content. Of course, it is a sister paper to the Heard It. It is probably there as well.

If they ever change the Sioux name, they would have to play hockey somewhere else.  I guarentee they would have a lawsuit though if UND wasn't allowed to play at the Ralph.

If they change the name, they can't play, that's tough to deal with alone, besides dealing with NCAA officials.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I highly doubt it. I think UND would definately still play at the Ralph, even if UND caved to the P.C. Nazis and decided to change the name. Besides, where would UND play hockey games at? REA isn't going to let the arena remain empty. The old REA is out of date and would have to be remodeled to play in it, I believe that I heard that about 250,000 or proubly more that they would

Get a life. ( And you wonder why I call you a coward.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The personal attacks have gotten somewhat out of hand in this forum in the last day or two. If you disagree with something someone else posted, argue with the topic and content of their post, don't attack them personally.

Individual warnings have been issued to some offenders, but lack of an individual warning does not mean you will spared suspension if you continue to violate this basic rule of the board (and common courtesy).

Do you even know these people?  Yet, you can criticize them?  Get a life. ( And you wonder why I call you a coward.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. I have met both Jeanotte and Yellow Bird. I wasn't criticizing them as much as I was pointing out your double standard.

Coleman feels he must enlighten us all...

http://www.startribune.com/stories/357/5563915.html

taz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guys like this just pi$$ me off. Typical crap that comes from goofville.

Nick,

The REA is more luxurious than the X in St. Paul, it's better than any rink in the world. What's your point. If Ralph was a gopher alum and wanted to build an elaborate rink for the gophs, would you oppose?

To paint this man as "bad guy" is completely pathetic on your part. Ralph most likely forgot more about philanthropy than you will ever know. I noticed how you failed to mention the thousands of wheel chairs he donated to North Dakota's disabled, or the rink he built in his home town for the high-school to use, or the fact that many of the employees at his Imperial Palace were handicapped. This sounds to me like he could be the devil himself. The problem is that this is the typical dribble that comes out of your town. To people like you all he will ever be is some rich guy that must be a "bully" or a "nazi" because he believes strongly in something. Ralph Englestad loved hockey and he loved UND. What's the problem?

At the beginning of your article you write of class, what do you know about class? Is it class that you are showing myself and the rest of the people in ND by insulting something we respect and love? Not as far as I am concerned.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Next time, take the time to research your story, which this was, before you put it out for the rest to have to endure.

GO SIOUX!!!

It's always nice to know that the Sioux can't stand up on their own and oppose the name, rather than relying on some carpet-bagger from another tribe to do the cheerleading.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like the UND professors are strong arming the people over at Fort Totten if you ask me. Hum...

Sept. 3, 2005

From the Grand Forks Herald:

NCAA: UND believes nickname stance is 'mainstream'

"We feel very confident in not only the quality of the support but also the quantity of that support," Harmeson said. "There is real support out there that is actually the majority and that really has not expressed its feelings to the depth of the emotion as those who are opposed."
Editorial comment: Note the Herald's editorial comment of putting "mainstream" in quotes. The nationwide backlash against the NCAA and the number of tribes that have come out in support of universities using their names and images demonstrates that Harmeson is correct. A large majority of Americans and a large majority of American Indians have no problem with this practice. The number of people who do is quite small, but quite loud.

From the Indianapolis Star:

2 more colleges get OK from NCAA on mascots

The reversal on Central Michigan was not because of new information but "an increased emphasis on the position of the namesake tribe," NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said in an interview.

That change in how mascots would be evaluated came as the executive committee, the NCAA's highest policy-making group, set up the appeals process after the original announcement of banned mascots, Williams said. The original announcement Aug. 5 was met with a torrent of criticism from, among others, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

The highest-profile school left on the list is the University of Illinois Fighting Illini. School spokesman Tom Hardy said Friday no decision has been made on whether to appeal.
Edited by PCM

From the INDY Star: The highest-profile school left on the list is the University of Illinois Fighting Illini. School spokesman Tom Hardy said Friday no decision has been made on whether to appeal.

I guess winning 7 NCAA titles doesn't make UND high profile.

Edited by Goon

From the News-Gazette:

Trustees to weigh new Chief resolution

The resolution would add a guideline to those approved by the trustees in July to help them reach a consensus on the Chief Illiniwek issue. The guidelines call for keeping the names "Illini" and "Fighting Illini," involving American Indians in the board's efforts, and recognizing opportunities for educating the public about American Indian culture, history and heritage. They also reiterate the board's position to preserve the state's American Indian heritage.
From KWOC-TV:

NCAA edict rekindles debate over Bradley's nickname

Bradley spokeswoman Kathy Fuller says the college is standing behind the nickname while mulling an appeal of the N-C-A-A ruling, which would ban schools from using the names and images during post-season tournaments.

support/embracecd by hawaiian community... 

well, that is, after they dropped their "rainbow" gay-pride-ish nickname and logo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, but since this is a generic term why isn't the term hostile and abusive to other American Indians--in the same way that Indians and Braves is abusive and hostile.

Just a rhetorical question, I know the answer>>>>NCAA logic. :D