SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Under North Dakota law, they're supposed to be public record unless part of an ongoing investigation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Universities also have to report on-campus crimes each year...the Chronicle of Higher Education reports these figures on a yearly basis--you should be able to find UND's online somewhere...

Edited: I think you can find the numbers here:

http://ope.ed.gov/security/search.asp

Not sure if it will help with who the victim was, though (i.e., NA vs. non-NA)...

Edited yet again: It does include a listing of cases described as "hate offenses"...

Universities also have to report on-campus crimes each year...the Chronicle of Higher Education reports these figures on a yearly basis--you should be able to find UND's online somewhere...

Edited:  I think you can find the numbers here:

http://ope.ed.gov/security/search.asp

Not sure if it will help with who the victim was, though (i.e., NA vs. non-NA)...

Edited yet again:  It does include a listing of cases described as "hate offenses"...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If this is correct, then there were 0 hate crimes at UND from 2001-2003.

The only thing I remember happening when I was at UND, was someone wrote anti-gay sayings on the sidewalks with sidewalk chalk.

how can i get copies of police records?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go down to the court house in the county you live in and do a search on the person your looking for the information is public information. In Grand Forks County they have a computer at the court house and you can find out all kinds of stuff on people.

And a lot of times "annonymous hate crimes" such as sidewalk chalking, writing on doors, hate mail, etc. are perpetrated by the "victims" themselves for political gain (i.e. convincing everyone that the school is a racist institution), or for mere publicity/sympathy, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Such as this? :silly:

poster1.jpg

From the 9/7/05 Achorage Daily News:

Aniak residents stand fully by their Halfbreed mascot

1471927-215-x-250.jpg

Aniak High students sporting Halfbreeds T-shirts

I mentioned on another thread a co-worker of mine who is half-Sioux Indian. She said on the reservation she referred to herself as a "half-breed" and while even her husband (white) recoils when she calls herself that, she says that's just how they referred to themselves and it's no big deal.

This is bogus. If the school nickname was the "Golden Gophers" and she was campaigning to have it changed, she would likely experience the same behavior. Does that mean "Golden Gophers" would be "hostile and abusive"?

I think not.

Treat the illness, not the symptoms.

If that girl is a sophmore, what the hell was she doing at bars?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last year, so was she a Freshman. :silly:

I remember a certain pub west of campus and being in the ladies room when a group of hs girls were in there. They had drawn the stamp for the night on their hands with a magic marker......

This is bogus. If the school nickname was the "Golden Gophers" and she was campaigning to have it changed, she would likely experience the same behavior. Does that mean "Golden Gophers" would be "hostile and abusive"?

I think not.

Treat the illness, not the symptoms.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Drunk people pounded on my door and tore down stuff just because they were drunk. Plus, when I was at school, I had "Freedom is not free" written on my whiteboard (under a picture of me looking terrific in my Navy blues) and some crazy annoying girl wrote some anti-war bullsh!t over it... that was pretty hostile and abusive, I would suppose.

The question remains: if someone finds a mascot so offensive, why would they want to go to school there?

If that girl is a sophmore, what the hell was she doing at bars?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Champaign, you only have to be 19 to get into the bars. GOD I LOVED COLLEGE.

Drunk people pounded on my door and tore down stuff just because they were drunk. Plus, when I was at school, I had "Freedom is not free" written on my whiteboard (under a picture of me looking terrific in my Navy blues) and some crazy annoying girl wrote some anti-war bullsh!t over it... that was pretty hostile and abusive, I would suppose.

The question remains: if someone finds a mascot so offensive, why would they want to go to school there?

In Champaign, you only have to be 19 to get into the bars. GOD I LOVED COLLEGE.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless things changed (again) and that is certainly possible, the legal drinking age in Illinois is 21. It used to be 21 several years ago, then it was lowered to 19. It was then raised to 21 again around 1980.

Unless things changed (again) and that is certainly possible, the legal drinking age in Illinois is 21.  It used to be 21 several years ago, then it was lowered to 19.  It was then raised to 21 again around 1980.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing he was referring to getting in to all the bars.

The drinking age is a federal law. It used to be a state law until the federal government said that unless states move it up to 21, they wouldn't get funding from the federal government for certain programs. Naturally all states followed to get the funding and it since has become a federal law.

SI.com columnist Seth Davis takes the bait hook, line and sinker.

North Dakota doesn't have support for its nickname

Now, the University of North Dakota, home of the Fighting Sioux, has appealed for an exemption -- even though UND's nickname has been officially condemned by the vast majority of the tribal leaders in the state. This should make the school's appeal exceedingly easy to reject. If the NCAA does otherwise, there would be no point in having a policy at all.

My e-mail to Seth Davis at SI.com:

If, as Leigh Jeanotte claims, the use of American Indian nicknames is a moral, ethical and civil rights issue on the order of slavery or women's suffrage, why does the University of North Dakota have more than twice as many Native American students as any other university in the region? Why, when protests of the Sioux nickname are held, do fewer than 100 protestors march, (a high percentage of them white) on a campus with more than 400 American Indian students? Why do 61% of American Indians in North Dakota say they're not offended by UND's use of the Sioux nickname? Why would an American Indian artist design UND's logo? Why would a university that's "hostile and abusive" to American Indians create so many educational opportunities for them? It appears to me that you have left many facts out of your disingenuous column.