SiouxSports.com Forum

Kupchella going to Marshall University?

choyt3

I imagine that this makes perfect sense in the Tin Foil Hat Society. ;)

You apply for a job so you can turn it down as a sign of your loyalty. :sad:

Of course, you'd also have to hope that nobody points out that if you were truly loyal, you wouldn't be applying for new jobs in the first place. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I rarely find read a post that I laugh so hard my eyes start watering, but yours managed to do that PCM.

I think that I would have to agree with Sicatoka that the writing is on the wall.

Even with Kupchella in the running for the position, someone at UND is looking for his repacement now. But with a statement like he made regarding "most of what I will be able to accomplish, I have accomplised", I would think that would signal his departure, either on his own or being pushed out.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't understand is why Kupchella would say something like this. To me it doesn't seem like something you should say publicly. Typically you don't tell your employer that your job sucks until you have a new one lined up. Maybe he wants out though? And this is his way? Even if he doesn't get the job at Marshall, he'll still be gone?

What I don't understand is why Kupchella would say something like this. +To me it doesn't seem like something you should say publicly.

I don't think he expected his letter of application to be made public, and it's unfair to him that it was.

Maybe he wants out though? And this is his way?

I don't think he expected his letter of application to be made public, and it's unfair to him that it was.

Marshall is a public school. I don't know the law in West Virginia, but Dr. Kupchella as well as anyone, having worked in an open-records state like North Dakota, should know applications just might become public.

Info on Marshall.

Marshall is a public school. I don't know the law in West Virginia, but Dr. Kupchella as well as anyone, having worked in an open-records state like North Dakota, should know applications just might become public.

Info on Marshall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that he should have known the letter might become public. And let's not forget his letter to UND football alums that was obtained by the Forum via open records laws. Kupchella clearly never expected that to be publicized, either. I don't begrudge him for applying for other jobs, but in the process he really shouldn't put anything in writing that he wouldn't be comfortable with if it were printed in the Herald, Forum, etc.

I agree that he should have known the letter might become public. And let's not forget his letter to UND football alums that was obtained by the Forum via open records laws. Kupchella clearly never expected that to be publicized, either. I don't begrudge him for applying for other jobs, but in the process he really shouldn't put anything in writing that he wouldn't be comfortable with if it were printed in the Herald, Forum, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So everybody who applies for a job at UND -- or any government insitution, for that matter -- should expect to have their letters of application published in the Grand Forks Herald or the Fargo Forum?

If Kupchella leaves, are the local papers going to print the letters of application from every cadidate who applies for his job? Why wasn't this done for all the AD candidates?

I think this practice has the effect of discouraging some good candidates from applying for high-level positions. Kupchella might have (unwisely) expected the media to exercise some restraint and use a bit of common sense.

Obviously, the media has every right to request such information under open records laws and publish it, but I have to question the wisdom of doing it .

I think this practice has the effect of discouraging some good candidates from applying for high-level positions. Kupchella might have (unwisely) expected the media to exercise some restraint and use a bit of common sense.

Obviously, the media has every right to request such information under open records laws and publish it, but I have to question the wisdom of doing it .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The big bad media has ganged up on poor Kuppy.

You question the "wisdom" of the media for publishing the letter? Why? Because now people at the university, alumni, etc. know that he is seeking another job and that he is admitting in his own words that he has accomplished pretty much all that he can here.

So everybody who applies for a job at UND -- or any government insitution, for that matter -- should expect to have their letters of application published in the Grand Forks Herald or the Fargo Forum?

Should they expect it? Probably not since it's not newsworthy 99.99% of the time. The point remains, however, that it can be done, and if one is a high enough profile person, perhaps it would be.

If Kupchella leaves, are the local papers going to print the letters of application from every cadidate who applies for his job? Why wasn't this done for all the AD candidates?
Probably not, unless Joseph Chapman or somebody else who would make it newsworthy applied.

I'm not condoning this type of thing, but I'll reiterate my point that since Kupchella has been burned before, he should have been more careful with exactly what he wrote. He wasn't. We'll have to see what, if any consequences there will be.

I've actually been told during a couple different hiring processes for jobs in the public/govt. sector that anything I put down or any letters that I include in my application are public record.

I'm not saying that is or was the case or that they even tell people that now, but I just think that President Kupchella should have known what he wrote would probably be seen in print somewhere. It is easy to blame the messenger.

I can't speak for PCM, but I don't think he lays all the blame on the media. Sure, Kupchella should not have written that in his letter, but he also asked for it to be kept confidential.

Like PCM said, keeping it confidential is going to open it up to better candidates as they do not need to worry about consequences at their present job.

Marshallis a public institution and those things if requested by the media can and do become public knowledge...like the letters written or even emails from a university email are all public record...so even though it says confidential...it can be open record if their laws are the same as North Dakota..which i am assuming it is..

The big bad media has ganged up on poor Kuppy.

I neither said nor implied any such thing.

You question the "wisdom" of the media for publishing the letter? Why?

I wasn't questioning the wisdom of that particular letter being made public. Some said that as a matter of course, Kupchella should expect any letter he writes to be made public. I questioned the general principle of making public the letters of job applicants for high-level jobs.

Looking back in this thread, I see that Kupchella's letter was published on Marshall University's Web site. Given that the letter was marked "confidential" at the top, perhaps he gave the university permission to post the letter on its Web site. If that's the case, he probably has already informed the appropriate people that he intends to leave UND and is applying for other jobs.

Speculating now, I guess it can work the other way for you (applicants) too, as was shown with the Purpur raise after he threw his hat in the ring. If you're good enough let it be know that you are wanted somewhere else and get more money where you are at.

But look at the Buning situation. They kept that under wraps per his request so he didn't have any consequences if he didn't get the job.

But look at the Buning situation.  They kept that under wraps per his request so he didn't have any consequences if he didn't get the job.

I didn't think that was reality. Wasn't that just purely speculation here?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The above comments lead to me to make a few speculations on why Kupchella is looking at moving on:

The week last December in which the Forum published Kupchella's rather unprofessional letter to the UND football alums and when Chancellor Potts shut down UND-Fargo, both public relation embarassments to UND and both happening while Kupchella was vacationing in Europe probably did not help K's chances of getting another three year contract. Those events also probably did not exactly endear Kup to the state of ND, its politics, and media.

Kind of ironic that the Forum, by publishing the Kup to Alum football letter to embarass UND and Kup, might actually have been a catalyst for change at UND (the Forum wrongly suspected that there was an imminent under-the-table deal between the Big Sky and UND). The Forum's action could have a net effect (UND going DI under a new president) quite opposite of the Forum's goals (having NDSU as the state's "premier" fb and bb school and the Forum/WDAY profitting from their exclusive media relationship). Law of Unintended Consequences? :sad:

Kind of ironic that the Forum, by publishing the Kup to Alum football letter to embarass UND and Kup, might actually have been a catalyst for change at UND (the Forum wrongly suspected that there was an imminent under-the-table deal between the Big Sky and UND).  The Forum's action could have a net effect (UND going DI under a new president) quite opposite of the Forum's goals (having NDSU as the state's "premier" fb and bb school and the Forum/WDAY profitting from their exclusive media relationship).  Law of Unintended Consequences?    :sad:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's a heck of a conspiracy theory star2city, do you read tea leaves too?

Kupchella's original letter was to the headhunter involved. Whether that needed to be considered public record or not I don't know. I guess it is because it was provided to Marshall. No surprise considering the level of detail he went into.

As PCM stated, it appears he asked for it to be kept confidential at that early point in the process. Whether he ever thought his written letter would be made public or not I don't know. But frankly, I find it very surprising that the letter of application could be made public without the approval of the writer. I have to think he got far enough into the process where he knew his applicancy would be public, and maybe then assented to his written app being posted. Of course, he may have forgotten that one comment.

Either that, or he's basically telling everyone that he's gone from UND regardless.

Whether we think Kupchella has been great or not great it appears there's no consensus that he's irreplaceable. Sounds like he had strengths and weaknesses, so this can be viewed as an opportunity, regardless of viewpoint.

However, be careful what you ask for. While the next president could remind everyone of Tom Clifford, he/she might also be very willing to cut/slash/change something near and dear to your heart. Sometimes the enemy you know is better than the enemy you don't know.

Kupchella's original letter was to the headhunter involved.  Whether that needed to be considered public record or not I don't know.  I guess it is because it was provided to Marshall.  No surprise considering the level of detail he went into. 

As PCM stated, it appears he asked for it to be kept confidential at that early point in the process.  Whether he ever thought his written letter would be made public or not I don't know.  But frankly, I find it very surprising that the letter of application could be made public without the approval of the writer.  I have to think he got far enough into the process where he knew his applicancy would be public, and maybe then assented to his written app being posted.  Of course, he may have forgotten that one comment.

Either that, or he's basically telling everyone that he's gone from UND regardless.

Whether we think Kupchella has been great or not great it appears there's no consensus that he's irreplaceable.  Sounds like he had strengths and weaknesses, so this can be viewed as an opportunity, regardless of viewpoint.

However, be careful what you ask for.  While the next president could remind everyone of Tom Clifford, he/she might also be very willing to cut/slash/change something near and dear to your heart.  Sometimes the enemy you know is better than the enemy you don't know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You make some very good points!!! Do you suppose we could talk Tom out of retirement?:sad:?