SiouxSports.com Forum

Kupchella going to Marshall University?

choyt3

First of all, I was a student when Pres. Kupchella was hired.  I was pretty good friends with some of the people in the know and the word on the street was that Kupchella was hired to change the nickname.  I believe the thought was that he would change the name and then would get fired, making him basically the scapegoat for others wishing to follow the 25-100 vocal minorities.  This plan was obviously foiled.

He has made sure a great deal of research dollars have come to UND, very important in academic development, but gives horrible speeches and watching him mingle with students is painful to watch.

I think any president of UND is going to face an uphill climb...Tom Clifford leaves some gigantic shoes to fill.

Okay, I'm done now.  :sad:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My question to you is why on earth would they hire a person to get rid of the name? Then turn around and have the board step in and make the decision for him?

I think that mingling with the students would be a major part of his job. Your right UND is here for the students. All of them not just the vocal minority that here to forward there agenda. However, like or not sports is a big part of UND. Its put UND on the map. In my job I have come into contact with him from time to time and he just doesn't have a people type person mentality. Or he comes off as unengaging. Chuck is kind of blah. Baker had his faults but he was out there with the students. I am sure its tough to fill Clifford's shoes, maybe UND will never find someone that has the people skills I believe is also part of the job.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I was a student when Pres. Kupchella was hired.  I was pretty good friends with some of the people in the know and the word on the street was that Kupchella was hired to change the nickname. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although I agree with most of what you say, I have to call bovine scatology on this one. That is not why he was hired.

I may be in the minority here on this board, but I think President Kupchella isn't the evil person made out to be. He may not be supportive of athletics to the extent people like (truthfully not very many presidents ever have put athletics first, and they probably shouldn't. People aren't paying $10,000 in tuition just to see hockey...how about a little education thrown in there? ;) ).

Okay, I'm done now. :sad:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kupchella doesn't do a good job with athletics, but does an awesome job with with academics, and I'm glad he does. Academics are much more apart of UND than athletics, and Kupchella might not have been the most charismatic person, but really who cares. UND is a much better place thanks to Kupchella.

As an Alumni, I think Cup Cake is an empty suit. I also believe that Cup Cakes , usefulness to UND has come to an end. Really think the UND alumni should think hard about this man and what he has done to this great university.

On his resume It should say: During my tenure UND I almost single handedly destroyed/screwed up UND. During my watch UND has lost many a great UND professors. During my watch the price of tuition has gone up twice in the past two years. During my tenure I almost caused UND to lose a 100 million dollar gift due to my stupidity. I actually almost caused UND to not get the new REA. This is due to his great idea that some how he had to the power to change the UND fighting Sioux name. Chuck almost bowed to the pressure of a no power weilding small interest group. I still don't to this day know how one who is suppose to be this smart jeordizes losing a 100 million dollar gift to please 25-100 people on campus. It is not smart economics. Thankfully Ralph Called him on it.

The main defining moment of his tenure is really how this dimwit liberal professor flirted with the Idea of changing the UND Fighting Sioux name. I was once told that if Cup Cake had actually gone throught and changed the Figthing Sioux name his head would have rolled so fast it wouldnt have been funny. 

Apparently there was a prominant alumni from the Bismarch area that would have gotten the ball moving. Now we have a chance to get rid of him. I say great, this is an awesome opportunity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen to that Goon !!!

I hope he is gone. His idea of mingling with the students is holding a "concert" at Tabula once a year.

There is no doubt that being the President of a university like UND is a very tough job, especially trying to please everyone. I think it is time for him to move on.

I hope this empty suit is out the door.

Unless any of us were in the room or on the selection committee, no one can say definitively the reasons he was selected over the other candidates (including a candidate with extensive UND ties).

Someone on the committee was talking to the press (sorry, sudo-press) during the selection process...is that ethical?  ;)  :sad:

I know you're joking, but just so that nobody takes you seriously, I should explain that I wasn't a member of the press in any way, shape or form at that time.

I think too many people base their opinions of Kupchella solely on athletics. Maybe he wasn't at every game, but is that really what we want in a President? A guy who cares mainly about athletics and not so much about the thousands of other things that go on every day at the school?

I think not.

I love college athletics, don't get me wrong, but there are so many other things to take care of as a university president. So many people think that the nickname issue or the hockey team in the Frozen Four are the most important things going on at the school every day, but he no doubt has countless other problems/decisions that need to be addressed.

This being said, I think that UND alumni and students want someone with a balance. Many alumni/suuporters are supporters of athletics first or only. They would like a President who goes to games and speaks to crowds at social events. A guy who is in the press touting Sioux sports. Many others want a guy who, like Kupchella, will bring in the research dollars, and push the academics to the next level.

If Kupchella gets the Marshall job it will be interesting to see who the applicants are for the opening. Someone with a balance would be great.

I love college athletics, don't get me wrong, but there are so many other things to take care of as a university president. So many people think that the nickname issue or the hockey team in the Frozen Four are the most important things going on at the school every day, but he no doubt has countless other problems/decisions that need to be addressed.

This being said, I think that UND alumni and students want someone with a balance. Many alumni/suuporters are supporters of athletics first or only. They would like a President who goes to games and speaks to crowds at social events. A guy who is in the press touting Sioux sports. Many others want a guy who, like Kupchella, will bring in the research dollars, and push the academics to the next level.

If Kupchella gets the Marshall job it will be interesting to see who the applicants are for the opening. Someone with a balance would be great.

I agree with this. Anybody who runs a large organization has a variety of stakeholders to deal with. To limit a president's qualifications solely to the name issue, REA, hockey, connections to UND, etc. is myopic at best, and stupid at worst. Frankly, the quality of UND's products is tied to its faculty, academic rep, facilities, alumni support, etc. It is not really tied to its teams' nicknames, the size of its arenas or whether the president was born and bred in NoDak.

I like the idea of bringing in new blood whenever possible. The last thing UND needs is a president so ingrained into the state and school that they fail to see how the world is changing and the school and its mission must address those changes.

I think too many people base their opinions of Kupchella solely on athletics.  Maybe he wasn't at every game, but is that really what we want in a President? A guy who cares mainly about athletics and not so much about the thousands of other things that go on every day at the school? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just because I and others would like to see Kupchella gone, does not mean we are basing these opinions on solely athletics. This board is almost all about athletics, so when the President's name comes up in discussions on here, it is usually involving an issue with hockey, football, the name, etc. I have yet to read anyone say that the President should be at every game.

I like the idea of bringing in new blood whenever possible.  The last thing UND needs is a president so ingrained into the state and school that they fail to see how the world is changing and the school and its mission must address those changes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the way all the latest hirings have gone, it won't be long until there is no one at the Unversity who is from Nodak.

Just because I and others would like to see Kupchella gone, does not mean we are basing these opinions on solely athletics.  This board is almost all about athletics, so when the President's name comes up in discussions on here, it is usually involving an issue with hockey, football, the name, etc.  I have yet to read anyone say that the President should be at every game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not every game, but people were appalled that they didn't see him at the Championship game for hockey and at other events, just read through some old threads. I'm glad to see that you are not basing your opinion solely on athletics, but I have no doubt that many are. I have heard it too many times that he is not at games enough, or he doesn't support the coaches enough, and on and on.

So what are you basing your opinion on when you say he needs to go?

So are you just admitting that you are wrong?  What are your reasons?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are you talking about?

Admitting that I'm wrong?

I, along with others, can't have our own opinions on Kupchella?

Some of my reasons are personal.

It is pretty arrogant to say that your opinions are right and others are wrong.

When he talks about how he has accomplished most of what he can accomplish, I also feel it is time for him to move on.

I really don't want a guy who is thinking he can't accomplish much more, to be heading this university.

Academics should be the number 1 concern for the president, there is no doubt about that, but there is also a balancing act, because a lot of money that flows into the university, comes from athletics and its supporters. To say that the President shouldn't be concerned about athletics, would be a damaging blow to the financial coffers of the U.

My concern lies in Dr. Kupchella's own words/letter:

If that wasn't true before, in writing that it may turn out to be self-fulfilling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could get into arguements with everyone else about what has been said in this thread but all I am going to do is point out what Sic said and say "Thank You"

Having not read the whole thread, please forgive me if what I said was already said.

First off, I don't believe this move at all. If he turned down his alma mater, he'll turn down Marshall. In a conspiracy theorist's way, I can almost see him declining the offer if it is made and then turning around and telling the UND faithful that he turned it down because he has it too good at UND to give it up and he's far too loyal to give up his stature in North Dakota for some school out east.

Secondly, I hope I'm wrong and he does take the job. I feel that, if that happens, and the students of UND can get into the new Presidential search, perhaps we can get a guy who is like Clifford or someone that has me saying "Yeah, this guy better represents what I believe UND is all about" so that I can once again take pride in ALL of UND, not just my department and the hockey and football programs.

Basically speaking, though, I'm not holding my breath. He's not going anywhere. And if he does, Marshall can have him.

In a conspiracy theorist's way, I can almost see him declining the offer if it is made and then turning around and telling the UND faithful that he turned it down because he has it too good at UND to give it up and he's far too loyal to give up his stature in North Dakota for some school out east. 

I imagine that this makes perfect sense in the Tin Foil Hat Society. ;)

You apply for a job so you can turn it down as a sign of your loyalty. :sad:

Of course, you'd also have to hope that nobody points out that if you were truly loyal, you wouldn't be applying for new jobs in the first place. ;)