SiouxSports.com Forum

Kupchella going to Marshall University?

choyt3

Kupchella's original letter was to the headhunter involved.  Whether that needed to be considered public record or not I don't know.  I guess it is because it was provided to Marshall.  No surprise considering the level of detail he went into. 

As PCM stated, it appears he asked for it to be kept confidential at that early point in the process.  Whether he ever thought his written letter would be made public or not I don't know.  But frankly, I find it very surprising that the letter of application could be made public without the approval of the writer.  I have to think he got far enough into the process where he knew his applicancy would be public, and maybe then assented to his written app being posted.  Of course, he may have forgotten that one comment.

Either that, or he's basically telling everyone that he's gone from UND regardless.

Whether we think Kupchella has been great or not great it appears there's no consensus that he's irreplaceable.  Sounds like he had strengths and weaknesses, so this can be viewed as an opportunity, regardless of viewpoint.

However, be careful what you ask for.  While the next president could remind everyone of Tom Clifford, he/she might also be very willing to cut/slash/change something near and dear to your heart.  Sometimes the enemy you know is better than the enemy you don't know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate it when you are right. Especially that last part. I may hate him, but he's a "known" entity whereas the new guy is unknown.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's a heck of a conspiracy theory star2city, do you read tea leaves too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Iowabison:

You apparently don't believe the Forum has an agenda with regards to UND athletics and Kupchella's / Thomas' stance on DI? :sad: That Forum has a vested financial interest in the Bison athletic program cannot be denied. Most reasonable people would conclude that the Forum also serves as a public relations firm for noting Bison positives and and occasional jabs at the Sioux.

Iowabison:

You apparently don't believe the Forum has an agenda with regards to UND athletics and Kupchella's / Thomas' stance on DI? :sad: That Forum has a vested financial interest in the Bison athletic program cannot be denied. Most reasonable people would conclude that the Forum also serves as a public relations firm for noting Bison positives and and occasional jabs at the Sioux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

star2city,

Do you have any examples of The Forum attempting to sway UND (or at least public opinion) towards not moving to DI? IMO, The Forum has stated that UND more than likely will make the move to DI eventually, and any "jabs" have been more of a jovial, "Are you moving to DI, yet? How about now?" sort of comment.

Does this mean that the GF Herald has it out for NDSU? ;)

I personally think that with The Forum/WDAY/WDAZ having media contracts with both NDSU and UND, it would be in their best interest for both schools to be at the same level, generating increased public interest, and therefore, generating increased advertising revenue for The Forum/WDAY/WDAZ.

star2city,

Do you have any examples of The Forum attempting to sway UND (or at least public opinion) towards not moving to DI? IMO, The Forum has stated that UND more than likely will make the move to DI eventually, and any "jabs" have been more of a jovial, "Are you moving to DI, yet? How about now?" sort of comment.

Does this mean that the GF Herald has it out for NDSU? :sad:

I personally think that with The Forum/WDAY/WDAZ having media contracts with both NDSU and UND, it would be in their best interest for both schools to be at the same level, generating increased public interest, and therefore, generating increased advertising revenue for The Forum/WDAY/WDAZ.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Point 1: Aug. 29th Forum editorial (not McFeely):

"We'll also continue to provide staff coverage of home games at the University of North Dakota, which now plays in the minor leagues of most sports, at least compared with the Bison.

We'll continue our reports on UND's national hockey powerhouse, although winter and spring sports coverage at NDSU is bound to gain more prominence as Bison teams take on more big-name universities."

Point 2:

When Fargo legislators were threatening the UND medical school with an audit (for "retaliation" for no UND residency program in Fargo), this did not go reported as a Fargo-legislative initiative in the Forum. The threatened audit of NDSU athletics was reported as a "tit for tat", but the original transgression went unreported. This whole issue was just childish, but the Forum's failure to report the whole story was incredibly slanted.

Point 3:

Kupchella to Football Alum letter. There was no newsworthy info in that letter. It was printed to embarass and create antagonism toward Kupchella and UND .

Even though McFeely has blasted UND on occasion, I don't mind that as it is his opinion and is not reported as "news" or the official view of the newspaper. Other than Ryan Bakken (who is a humor columnist, BTW, i.e. its his job to lambast thin-skinned rivals ;) ), the GFH refrains from attacking NDSU and has scolded UND many times (name issue particularly), as Jacobs, Dennis, and Yellowbird are all PC'ers.

Finally,

(The Forum + WDAY) >> WDAZ, not equivalent

future state:

(Clear Channel Radio + FSSN cable + Fox or NBC local channel )>>( Bison Radio network + Forum + WDAY)

UND needs more media presence in the southern valley. They need to switch broadcast TV stations.

No offense guys, but the general feeling I get from this board is that everyone wants a new president because they feel that the President would take UND to D-I athletics.

Looking at UND's current financial situation that I know of:

1. Revenue sounds pretty maxed out

2. Running a deficit

3. Using tuition waivers instead of actual scholarships at D-II levels

How is it possible for UND to go D-I in the next 10 years. Do you think this president is going to show up with a truckload of money to pour into D-I athletics? I think its more likely that he's going to show up, look at whats going on with your athletic programs and make USD like cuts to get the athletic program budgeted, and then work on eliminating tuition waivers for all programs. I would pray that a president doesn't show up and just go full steam ahead into D-I athletics, and I'm sure the ND board of regents (or your equivalent) wouldn't appreciate the new president immediately running UND into a million dollar deficit in athletics, to be paid for by the academic side of the university. More likely they will attempt to compete like USD has, by raising standards academically, except UND will have an advantage, already being the largest University in the state. Just my thoughts, please don't reply with a bunch of garbage about NDSU (that I don't even care about).

No offense guys, but the general feeling I get from this board is that everyone wants a new president because they feel that the President would take UND to D-I athletics. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want a new president because I was at UND long enough to know what a good president is like (i.e., Baker).

Anyone else see the news last night, regarding the emails that were exchanged between Higher Ed. Board members?

Looks like some people on the board think that President Kupchella's time is up at UND. Bev Clayburgh feels that a President who feels they cannot accomplish anymore will just be unproductive in the position. Her email was actually quite harsh.

I'm sure there will be more about this in the media in the next couple of days.

Iowabison:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry, i forgot about the vast bison wing conspiracy

if the forum works as a pr firm for the ndsu athletic dept. they should ask for their money back

How is it possible for UND to go D-I in the next 10 years.  Do you think this president is going to show up with a truckload of money to pour into D-I athletics?  I think its more likely that he's going to show up, look at whats going on with your athletic programs and make USD like cuts to get the athletic program budgeted, and then work on eliminating tuition waivers for all programs.  I would pray that a president doesn't show up and just go full steam ahead into D-I athletics, and I'm sure the ND board of regents (or your equivalent)  wouldn't appreciate the new president immediately running UND into a million dollar deficit in athletics, to be paid for by the academic side of the university. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aff:

Your comments imply that NDSU and SDSU have no financial issues. But yet, you both saw major decreases in basketball revenue from DII times and both will require major annual inflow of alumni donations to keep your departments afloat. If either had secured a conference affiliation by now, both of you would likely have dropped a program or two to save dollars.

No UND president, present or future, will take the DI plunge like Chapman and Miller did. Either UND will be asked to join a DI conference, or will be forced out of DII by a disintegration of the NCC or by a mandatory football scholarship reduction.

With most of the UND ticket sales being collected by the non-profit REA, it is a mistake to conclude UND athletics is in poor financial condition without also reviewing the REA’s books. Since the REA is known to be paying for the Betty and was retaining money for a capital reserve fund, the true capacity for the REA to deliver funds to the athletic department is likely to increase as the Betty and reserve funds are paid off.

The real question that should be asked is: does UND’s (or NDSUs or SDSUs for that matter) alumni have deep enough pockets to be capable of supporting a DI program. The answer will be self-evident by observing which school starts construction first on their highest priority athletic project: (A) UND and their indoor football/track , (B) NDSU and their BSA refurbishment, © SDSU and their football improvements. The smart money is on (A).

Now, there is no such thing as a DI or a DII budget. There's just a budget: income and expenditures.

But here's a question yet without an answer as far as "DI budgets":

His (Inninger's) goal is $1 million a year for the next two years. He says this year's target is 40 percent complete with a June 31 [sic]deadline.

That's from The Forum, Sunday, April 17, 2005, (and should say June 30). Inniger has raised $400k of a needed $1 MM in ten months. He needs $600k in the following two months to make budget. And needs another $1 MM over the 12 months to make that fiscal year's budget. And wants to start a capital campaign for the BSA (another $8-16 MM).

As far as facilities, UND has talked on the same scale of dollars for an indoor training facility ($10 MM) as NDSU has talked for a BSA renovation ($8-16 MM).

Now, there is no such thing as a DI or a DII budget. There's just a budget: income and expenditures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. With additional financial aid requirements, higher coaches' salaries, higher guarantees, more sports sponsorship requirements, higher travel expenses, etc. a DI school's budget will typically be more than that of an equivalent DII school.

Even the UND IAC seems to think there's a DI budget:

Division I:

sorry, i forgot about the vast bison wing conspiracy

if the forum works as a pr firm for the ndsu athletic dept. they should ask for their money back

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Bison wing has its own worries. After all, they're throwing stones at the cattle farmers now. I thought farming was NDSU's forte? ;)

I would think you would be spending more time and thought on finding out how gf is going to replace the 5000 jobs you are losing than worring about NDSU.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Says the boy who spews his bilge on a Sioux fan website. :sad:;)

Lame duck is very fitting.

I hope he gets the Marshall job.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know nothing about Kupchella except for the few media scraps I've seen but, IMO, his infamous letter to alumi re: UND/DI did not serve him or UND well and was not received well by those outside the UND community. I understand his passion but I expected a man of his caliber/position to be smarter than that. With the hiring of Buning and now the Kupchella situation, it appears that there is some major house-cleaning going on in GF. Is it for the better? I don't know. Is it a sign that UND is gearing up for Division I? I do not know that, either. I've experienced the initial taunting/wailing by UND people about SU's move and now that we seem to making progress (besides conference affiliation, of course) it now seems that some of the UND folk are either warming up to the idea or they just can't stand the perception of playing "2nd fiddle", so to speak. Either way, SU is forging on and we will be successful. Team Makers, donations, etc are at record levels and current projections are exceeding initial expectations. This is a good time for NDSU and a time for UND to seriously evaluate itself. This is not meant as a jab @UND, just my own personal perception. If you want to jab, meet me on the smack board at bisonville.com. Gooday.

GO BISON!!!

With the hiring of Buning and now the Kupchella situation, it appears that there is some major house-cleaning going on in GF. 

House cleaning? Buning filled the vacancy that was left open when Roger Thomas left to lead the NCC.

I hardly consider that house cleaning.

GO SIOUX!!!!!!

This is not meant as a jab @UND, just my own personal perception.  If you want to jab, meet me on the smack board at bisonville.com.  Gooday.

GO BISON!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It drives me nuts when people say they aren't trying to talk smack when in the same post act disrespectful. It's UND. UND. not UND (that's German, silly).

I'm not claiming to be an expert or even unbiased, but I do believe you can give yourself more credibility by avoiding things like this. I like having different perspectives on this board, and I don't think it's too much to ask to, when having a discussion (and not talking smack), give respect where it is due.