SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring signing period.

siouxnami

I wouldn't expect Ammerman, Hardwick, or Marto to commit anywhere until next fall. I haven't heard anything concrete on Ammerman other than several schools are "interested" but nothing substantial. The last time I was in Duluth for the final home series we were told (by a family member) that MTU and UMD were the most active with Hardwick, but that UND and UM were still in contact. Depending on when he commits and who commits prior, it wouldn't at all surprise me to see Hardwick end up at MTU or UND. I've heard conflicting details on Jay Hardwick's UMD experience and wonder how much of an issue that will be for Kyle.

I've only lived here in Grand Forks for the past school year, but I was really surprised at the lack of coverage given to a kid like Marto. Maybe I completely missed it, but it seems like a potential Mr. Hockey canidate would have gotten more pub than he did. I had no clue about him until the State Tournament and no one here in town that I talked to about hockey ever mentioned him as a must see when I talked about my desire to check out some hight school games. Since the state tourney I've learned that he has been to the UM and UMD (and would probably assume that he has been to UND). It will be interesting to see what happens to him if he continues to have a good showing at the Chicago Showcase (2 games; 1 goal and 2 assists with all points coming in one game).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rumor for about the last 3 years on Marto is that he was going to try play Baseball and that was his best sport. If you haven't heard anything on him you should pick up the local paper called the grand forks Herald. His picture is in there on a weekly basis during football, baseball and HOCKEY season. I hope he comes to UND and becomes a Sioux. I dont know where you lhang out in GF, but I have been hearing about this kid for 3 years. Looks like he is having a great Showcase tourney also.

You've obviously missed a few years of Ductober talk in here

I usually am hunting in the Fall

A guy has to have priorities - Ducks - Sioux Hockey - The Family is here year round - Ducks & Hockey only last so long - The Family is Grown & all Sioux Hockey Fans so I did good :lol:

This is why I hate to see good games early in the season :lol:

I will try & catch it next Fall :silly:

For those interested in Tyson Dowzak, I did contact a few people in Fergus Falls involved with the hockey program to see if anyone had heard anything about his future plans. Nothing to report. Everyone that I talked to seems to think that since he has another year to go it will be some time before we start to hear much.

I have no info on this I am just asking this question and throwing it out to the Sioux faithfull. IF some of your underclassmen go NHL next year (Greene, Smaby, Stafford, etc.) what is plan B. Are there a couple more recruits waiting in the wings or do you bring in Oshie and VanDevelde next year? Who else are you looking at for D?

I have no info on this I am just asking this question and throwing it out to the Sioux faithfull.  IF some of your underclassmen go NHL next year (Greene, Smaby, Stafford, etc.) what is plan B.  Are there a couple more recruits waiting in the wings or do you bring in Oshie and VanDevelde next year?  Who else are you looking at for D?

Oshie may come in this fall regardless according to the last buzz I remember hearing around here. I suppose VandeVelde could be a wild card in that scenario but otherwise, I think the coaches would be needing to find recruits that haven't yet been inked.

I know this has been mentioned before but I think if we need to bring in another forward next year why not that Les Reaney kid from Canadian juniors. Yeah I heard that he might be a little overweight or lazy or whatever it was but he was the leading scorer in that league (or was for most of the season) and he wants to play at UND. I just say this because I think Oshie and Vandevelde would benefit tremendously from a year in the USHL. Just what I think because I'm not sure either one of those boys is ready for the WCHA. Anyways I could be wrong because I'm not sure Reaney is still available.

I would rather have an average player who would go through the wall for you, than a skilled player who won't push himself to the limit. Of course there are a few exceptions, Thomas Vanek being one. Having said that, I have never seen Les Reaney play, so I can't make a judgement on him, only to the extent that it is odd the leading scorer in a good league hasn't been scooped up.

I know this has been mentioned before but I think if we need to bring in another forward next year why not that Les Reaney kid from Canadian juniors.  Yeah I heard that he might be a little overweight or lazy or whatever it was but he was the leading scorer in that league (or was for most of the season) and he wants to play at UND.  I just say this because I think Oshie and Vandevelde would benefit tremendously from a year in the USHL.  Just what I think because I'm not sure either one of those boys is ready for the WCHA.  Anyways I could be wrong because I'm not sure Reaney is still available.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have never seen Les Reaney play, but the article that I saw said that he has fought his weight. (Not an exact quote). I have never seen anyone claim he is lazy.

The problem is that an average player on a great offensive team will score more than a great player on mediocre team. Bottom line, Hak is a great recruiter, if he brings in Reaney, I'll be glad he's here. If he doesn't, probably better we don't have him. Let's not forget that the guy who outscored Zajac last year didn't do much at Fairbanks.

I agree with you and I haven't seen Reaney play either but I have seen Vandevelde and Oshie numerous times and I don't feel they are ready yet that is why I think the USHL would benefit them very much. But if I had to choose I believe Vandevelde is more ready than Oshie.

I agree with you and I haven't seen Reaney play either but I have seen Vandevelde and Oshie numerous times and I don't feel they are ready yet that is why I think the USHL would benefit them very much.  But if I had to choose I believe Vandevelde is more ready than Oshie.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would really hate to see this class get much bigger. This cycle of a huge class every four years is not good. Assuming Kaip is back, we should have enough forwards as is (and assuming no offensive defections, which looks good at this point).

I also agree with your here. I don't think we need to bring in another forward next year unless we lose one. As I see it we have 13 forwards with Marvin and Foyt playing in kind of emergency situations I believe that is plenty.

Stafford

Zajac

Spirko

Porter

Toews

Murray

Kaip :silly:?

Prpich

Fabian

Duncan

Kozek

Watkins

Miller

Marvin???

Foyt??

I also agree with your here.  I don't think we need to bring in another forward next year unless we lose one.  As I see it we have 13 forwards with Marvin and Foyt playing in kind of emergency situations I believe that is plenty. 

Stafford

Zajac

Spirko

Porter

Toews

Murray

Kaip :silly:?

Prpich

Fabian

Duncan

Kozek

Watkins

Miller

Marvin???

Foyt??

I think we look pretty good going into next year with this group of forwards.  If we could hold on to most of this group the following year plus Oshie & Vandevelde...WOW...Who out of this group would be seniors next year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have heard though the local grapevine, supposedly from the Dowzak family, that UND has been expressing interest in Tyson Dowzak.  That is all that I have been able to pick up so far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who is that kid and where does he play?

Thanks in advance.

Tysen is a big defenseman who plays for Shattuck. He plays his game a LOT like Smaby and he's just as big as Big M.

I saw him play a year ago and he looked pretty solid. His name didn't come up too much as he has as much offensive talent as Matt Smaby.

Edited by redwing77