SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring signing period.

siouxnami

If I'm not mistaken the spring signing period should start soon. Anyone know the exact date?

Obviously, Toews will sign. Assuming that Oshie and Vandeveld will play a year in Juniors, it seems that we may see 1 or 2 more players sign for 2005 and perhaps there will be some more for 2006. I would also expect to see at least one more D-man sign.

From his comments after the game I would assume Zajac is staying. I would expect Murray & Porter to stay as well. Stafford, Greene, & Smaby are question marks. I hope they feel that they have some unfinished business. If everyone stays we are looking real good for 2005.

Someone should call the coaches show and ask who's signing. ??? ???

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday begins the summer signing period. It runs until August 1. If someone does sign Wednesday Hak could talk about them Wednesday night. ???

This season was a lot of injuries and a short roster too often. But having a huge class (like nine seniors) isn't good either. I'd like balance, six or seven recruits per class. Then again, the unknown status of Robbie Bina makes you think you have to look around to see if there is a quality defenseman available, even though this class is already eight and sure to grow during the signing period.

I sure hope Hak and Crew has this all figured out.

I don't envy Hak's position right now because he's got these D lined up for sure right now in 2005:

Marvin

Radke

Chorney

Lee

Jones

Smaby and/or Greene could be gone.

Bina may (probably?) not be available.

Will Foyt be available as a D or as an F?

It's possible neither of the Matt's situations will resolve quickly (may or may not). And even if Bina's situation takes a month to resolve right now that's a pretty critical month of recruiting time. So Hak needs to make some decisions on recruiting (or not recruiting) at least 1 defenseman for 2005. And right now time seems to be of the essence.

You don't want to just go out and find a body because you're desperate, when that person will just be taking up space in future years.

If I'm not mistaken the spring signing period should start soon.  Anyone know the exact date?

Obviously, Toews will sign.  Assuming that Oshie and Vandeveld will play a year in Juniors, it seems that we may see 1 or 2 more players sign for 2005 and perhaps there will be some more for 2006.  I would also expect to see at least one more D-man sign.

From his comments after the game I would assume Zajac is staying.  I would expect Murray & Porter to stay as well.  Stafford, Greene, & Smaby are question marks.  I hope they feel that they have some unfinished business.  If everyone stays we are looking real good for 2005.

Someone should call the coaches show and ask who's signing.  ??? ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One player that we will not be getting is Robbie Dee a forward from Breck. As of today, Heisenberg has him going to Maine. A good pickup for the Black Bears.

A little surprised by this one. I thought the Gophers were after Dee. I'm just hoping to see some De(fensemen)  ??? coming to UND as a safety net for next year. I'm guessing Hakstol and Berry will be making some calls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hardwick is still available, but could probably use a year in the Juniors. Ammerman does not seem to be gathering much interest at this point. Any top notch Canadian D-men still out there?

Hardwick is still available, but could probably use a year in the Juniors.  Ammerman does not seem to be gathering much interest at this point.  Any top notch Canadian D-men still out there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As reported earlier on this site by someone who had spoken with a Hardwick family member, there is a good chance KH will don the green and white.

As for Ammerman, he visited Ohio State and Nebraska-Omaha - evidently, both visits went well and UNO has made a scholarship offer. I don't think it is that Ammerman isn't garnering interest, I believe it is that he may be waiting for one school in particular to show interest.

Based on what I've seen from local talent, I would go with Jake Marto and Jon Ammerman over Hardwick, but that may be a bit biased based on the fact that most impressions of Hardwick came from the few times I saw him live over a year ago. I know he had a great state tournament, but his skating and foot speed concern me a bit for a college defenseman. Of course the other two have questions for the college level as well, so I guess I'll have to trust that the coaches know a lot better anyway. I would think that all three are a year away regardless.

most impressions of Hardwick came from the few times I saw him live over a year ago. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am guessing that your opinion would be different if you had the opportunity to see him play this year. He was a much different player from the year before.

If UND loses either one or both Matt's, they may need all three of the players you listed! ???

And from today's GFH:

While today is the date that national letters of intent can be signed in Division I hockey, it'll be a quiet one at UND.

The Sioux previously signed nine players to letters of intent during the early signing period. UND is waiting on a letter of intent from just one more player.

The Sioux have a verbal agreement from forward Jonathon Toews, from Winnipeg and Shattuck-St. Mary's school in Faribault, Minn. They don't expect a signed national letter of intent from him until possibly next week.

Previously signed by the Sioux were defensemen Taylor Chorney, Hastings, Minn.; Zach Jones, Lisle, Ill.; and Brian Lee, Moorhead; and forwards Ryan Duncan, Calgary, Alta; Andrew Kozek, Sicamous, B.C.; Brad Miller, Alpharetta, Ga.; T.J. Oshie, Warroad, Minn.; Chris VandeVelde, Moorhead; and Matt Watkins, Aylesbury, Sask.