SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Non-UND FCS Thread

The Sicatoka

9 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Wow they don’t reven review a good catch by sdsu and instead call a penalty on them

The ball came out of possession.  At the end of the play a Jackrabbit player standing in the end zone picked the ball up because it rolled to his feet.  ESPN did an awful job of rolling the review on that one.  I had to rewind and watch myself, but also explains why the SDSU receiver didn't object. 

I don't think the officiating affected the outcome of that game whatsoever.  Biggest question mark to me was the NDSU player on the punt catch by SDSU, but when the play rolled out live it looked like the NDSU player got shoved in the back into the punt receiver.  Another situation where ESPN didn't do a great job of rolling the full replay. 

It was a defensive slugfest.  Kind of old school, ugly football.  Both are beatable teams on the right day, that's pretty clear.   

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Is it just me or has the overall QB play at the FCS level completely fallen off a cliff in the past few years? Credit to Miller as he made some great throws when needed but Gronowski was awful.....and he looked like Dan Marino compared to what I saw on both sides at the Alerus yesterday. 

I mean when you lose the likes of Tommy Schuster to a big ten school it's tough to recover.  

5-5 against Oregon with a 162 RTG!

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Is it just me or has the overall QB play at the FCS level completely fallen off a cliff in the past few years? Credit to Miller as he made some great throws when needed but Gronowski was awful.....and he looked like Dan Marino compared to what I saw on both sides at the Alerus yesterday. 

Makes you wonder how talented Gronowski really is when he doesn’t have nfl talent surrounding him at every position. 

4 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Makes you wonder how talented Gronowski really is when he doesn’t have nfl talent surrounding him at every position. 

On the broadcast it said he had one NIL offer of 1 million. He probably shoulda taken that. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

On the broadcast it said he had one NIL offer of 1 million. He probably shoulda taken that. 

1.2 mil I heard.

Loyalty is one thing, but 1.2 million in your pocket at age 22 is life changing. Especially for a guy that isn’t guaranteed to make nfl money.
Hate to tell a kid not to stay loyal to his teammates, but in this case, I think he should’ve taken the money.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

1.2 mil I heard.

Loyalty is one thing, but 1.2 million in your pocket at age 22 is life changing. Especially for a guy that isn’t guaranteed to make nfl money.
Hate to tell a kid not to stay loyal to his teammates, but in this case, I think he should’ve taken the money.

Agree. If he just took that money and put it in a S&P 500 index fund and didn't touch it that alone would fund his retirement in 25-30 years. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

1.2 mil I heard.

College sports as a whole would be better if more kids were like this.

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Why??  The portal has ruined college sports.

That’s an incomplete view of the portal. 

The prior rules held a player hostage. The new rules are too loose. The pendulum will swing back to a more appropriate place, but change was absolutely necessary.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

The prior rules held a player hostage. The new rules are too loose. The pendulum will swing back to a more appropriate place, but change was absolutely necessary.

It's basically taught these kids to be quitters and that they don't need to put the work in to be successful,"I am taking my toys and going home".  Look at Trey Feeney.  Didn't get what he wanted and quit on the team.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

This is such a bad take.. why should we hold kids to a higher standard than the coaches who can leave whenever they want.

they clearly need to fix some things around the edges.. but kids should be able to get paid a reasonable amount, and they should be able to transfer at least once without any punitive issues. 

feeney gave 3 yrs to UND.. Barely saw the field.. I have no issues with him leaving and trying to get playing time before his clock runs out. 

They aren't employees until the NCAA passes something where they can actually pay athletes until then they aren't so they shouldn't be allotted the same freedoms as coaches.   Feeney probably isn't as good as he thinks he is and there is probably a good reason why he didn't play that much.  If Simon beat him out that really says something. 

4 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I liked the prior rule. All for being allowed to transfer when you earn a degree, go down a division, coach leaves etc. don’t know if there is a better answer. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, DL Sioux said:

I liked the prior rule. All for being allowed to transfer when you earn a degree, go down a division, coach leaves etc. don’t know if there is a better answer. 

I think the current rule works. These are adults, if they want to leave for a better opportunity they should be allowed to.

Separately, if NIL money is involved, I expect some sort of contract situation to get involved moving forward. eg. A portion of your NIL money is vested each year you are on the team or something to that effect.

30 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

They aren't employees until the NCAA passes something where they can actually pay athletes until then they aren't so they shouldn't be allotted the same freedoms as coaches.   Feeney probably isn't as good as he thinks he is and there is probably a good reason why he didn't play that much.  If Simon beat him out that really says something. 

Two different offensive coordinators agree with your take so I would guess it’s a reasonable perspective,  Which is even more reason for the portal.. let a kid go to a team where they will get to play. 

• Upvote 1