SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2024-25

cberkas

56 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Exactly. The Tommies followed the rules as laid out by the CCHA. Now the CCHA is complaining about it! :silly:

They should just let it go and move on.

We don't know that.  The article says that some people at St. Thomas feared that CCHA could kick them up.  That could just be projecting after the MIAC booting.  

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

The CCHA would be wise to let this dog sleep. 

Yes, in a sport like college hockey, it might be best not to burn the bridge, as everybody is looking for games at one point or another.   The CCHA might need games against a conference like the NCHC to improve their Pairwise standing.

19 hours ago, LuvHockey said:

The CCHA might need games against a conference like the NCHC to TRY to improve their Pairwise standing.

Fixed your post. 

Quality loss?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Did Potulny see the (Alston, NIL, full cost) handwriting on the wall and decided now is the time to leave NMU? 

The whole coaching staff left (Spratt is only one left), Potulny to the AHL, Pool to Dartmouth, Peruzzi to UConn. Maybe NIL a small part, but why would the whole staff leave? Potulny leaving for the AHL makes sense but the other two taking basically the same job somewhere else doesn't. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Did Potulny see the (Alston, NIL, full cost) handwriting on the wall and decided now is the time to leave NMU? 

I'm wondering about the background of the exodus of players before he announced he was leaving. 

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

I'm wondering about the background of the exodus of players before he announced he was leaving. 

Hockey is a small world; they likely knew something was up. And in a portal world ... 

On 6/17/2024 at 2:56 PM, tnt said:

Yes, in a sport like college hockey, it might be best not to burn the bridge, as everybody is looking for games at one point or another.   The CCHA might need games against a conference like the NCHC to improve their Pairwise standing.

TBH is it best for both conferences for St Thomas to join the NCHC next year.  With Augustina joining the CCHA and Arizona st joining the NCHC in 2025-26 it leaves both conferences with an odd number.  Get St Thomas into the NCHC and both conferences should be happy.

I see it more as letting St Thomas out of their last year as it is mutually beneficial

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Big Green said:

TBH is it best for both conferences for St Thomas to join the NCHC next year.  With Augustina joining the CCHA and Arizona st joining the NCHC in 2025-26 it leaves both conferences with an odd number.  Get St Thomas into the NCHC and both conferences should be happy.

I see it more as letting St Thomas out of their last year as it is mutually beneficial

Arizona State joins this year

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Hammer is now a Bronco.  Wonder what kind of scholarship they got for brother Grant. 

They are going to have 4 goalies

Grant and Hampton Slukynsky say, 'Broncos country, let's ride,' and pick Western Michigan - The Rink Live | Comprehensive coverage of youth, junior, high school and college hockey

The Broncos goalie room for next season will include graduate student Cameron Rowe — who was the goalie of record in all but two games for Western last season — along with Slukynsky and two juniors. Owen Bartoszkiewicz played in the USHL and NAHL last season and transferred to Western after parts of two seasons at Minnesota. Kirk Laursen saw action in four games for the Broncos last season.

"It's kind of odd timing to be uncommitted and want to go in. Every team I was talking to had three goalies, so I knew that was going to be the case no matter where I went," he said. "I'm just going to go there, compete for the net in practice, support the team and see whatever happens."

21 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Will be interesting to see how they work the rotation with Rowe, Hampton, and that UMN transfer. 

Bartoszkiewicz was told by Motzko to go back to the USHL because he didn't want him to sit on the bench all season and he would come back the following season. But he was so bad in the USHL he was sent to the NAHL and he got replaced by a transfer. :lol:

57 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Will be interesting to see how they work the rotation with Rowe, Hampton, and that UMN transfer. 

I think Rowe initially before Hammer figures out the pace and enters the rotation.  I thought he'd back up Castro this year, but he took the bull by the horns and became the guy.

Looking forward to a January start for him when the Broncos visit REA.

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Looking forward to a January start for him when the Broncos visit REA.

That'd be cool to see.  That's the series that I plan on flying up for this year.
Planning on trying to get tickets to the ASU series here in Jan (might be difficult) and then the next weekend against WMU at the Ralph.  :)

33 minutes ago, brianvf said:

That'd be cool to see.  That's the series that I plan on flying up for this year.
Planning on trying to get tickets to the ASU series here in Jan (might be difficult) and then the next weekend against WMU at the Ralph.  :)

My ASU tickets will be free, but the parking and beer/food basically make it come out like I bought tickets :D

9 minutes ago, cberkas said:

My ASU tickets will be free, but the parking and beer/food basically make it come out like I bought tickets :D

Ha!
Any chance you might have access to snag a couple more tickets for that series?  I'm guessing that it's gonna be a popular ticket with a bunch of UND fans both locally and flying in.
No worries if not...would be fun to meet up with you between periods or something either way!

10 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Ha!
Any chance you might have access to snag a couple more tickets for that series?  I'm guessing that it's gonna be a popular ticket with a bunch of UND fans both locally and flying in.
No worries if not...would be fun to meet up with you between periods or something either way!

I get a student ticket and they only like to give one ticket out per game since it is the hottest ticket on campus (they only give students 2 at the most). They also release them the week of the game, so Friday is released Monday and Saturday/Sunday is released Wednesday. I have seen UND fans at the games, but I expect more when UND is there this season. I'm always standing above the student section by the band since you can't drink in the student section.

Steve Peters has said he'll be at ASU games this year while working for PHNX Hockey, I have yet to see him at a game.