SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2024-25

cberkas

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

2027 and 2028 Regionals will be in Fargo

Why does UND keep bailing out the NCAA by submitting to host in Fargo?  Submit bids to host at the REA and nowhere else.  I don't think many teams are submitting bids so either they accept the REA, host in Empty arenas or they will need to start having #1 Seeds host.  UND call their bluff.

1 minute ago, Big Green said:

Why does UND keep bailing out the NCAA by submitting to host in Fargo?  Submit bids to host at the REA and nowhere else.  I don't think many teams are submitting bids so either they accept the REA, host in Empty arenas or they will need to start having #1 Seeds host.  UND call their bluff.

Brad did say a few years ago UND bids both Fargo and the REA every year. The problem in the West/Midwest regionals is there isn't that many AHL/ECHL sized arenas to host, NHL arenas are only for the Frozen Four.

24 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Brad did say a few years ago UND bids both Fargo and the REA every year. The problem in the West/Midwest regionals is there isn't that many AHL/ECHL sized arenas to host, NHL arenas are only for the Frozen Four.

Kind of makes my point.  The NCAA will NEVER choose the REA if Fargo is an option.  Only Bid the REA every year.  Besides the Fact if I'm the GF Chamber I'd be a little pissed that we are bidding to host in Fargo.  

7 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Kind of makes my point.  The NCAA will NEVER choose the REA if Fargo is an option.  Only Bid the REA every year.  Besides the Fact if I'm the GF Chamber I'd be a little pissed that we are bidding to host in Fargo.  

If they bid every other year, that might mean that one or the other bid for last year's West Regional, and they ended up putting it in a small arena in Missouri.  I'm guessing they would avoid the Ralph at all costs unless they are forced with no other bids at all.  Of course last year might have been an exception since they had one in Sioux Falls, and having them that close would be strange, but to me a super small arena could be considered a strange move too. 

4 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Then someone bids with temporary ice in the Winter Show Building in Valley City (5000 rodeo seats) and gets it because it's just them and a campus rink (REA) bidding. 

@siouxrube is probably writing up the bid now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

If they bid every other year, that might mean that one or the other bid for last year's West Regional, and they ended up putting it in a small arena in Missouri.  I'm guessing they would avoid the Ralph at all costs unless they are forced with no other bids at all.  Of course last year might have been an exception since they had one in Sioux Falls, and having them that close would be strange, but to me a super small arena could be considered a strange move too. 

Lindenwood hosting last year was because of the Frozen Four this year. Really a dumb reason because Denver wanted to host that regional. Right now, there looks to be a rotation between Fargo, Sioux Fall, and Loveland with two hosting a single year

The 2028 Frozen Four is hosted by Denver and looks like they also want to bid Ball Arena to host. Ball Arena is hosting the 2025 US Hall of Fame Game.

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Then someone bids with temporary ice in the Winter Show Building in Valley City (5000 rodeo seats) and gets it because it's just them and a campus rink (REA) bidding. 

@siouxrube is probably writing up the bid now. 

Perfect.  Nothing will change if the NCAA can put it in Fargo and sell out a 5K arena.  If UND is serious about wanted to have #1 seeds host they need to stop bailing the NCAA out by hosting in Fargo.

9 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Perfect.  Nothing will change if the NCAA can put it in Fargo and sell out a 5K arena.  If UND is serious about wanted to have #1 seeds host they need to stop bailing the NCAA out by hosting in Fargo.

And risk playing in which converted cattle barn where? 

Fargo/Scheels is not my first choice but it is my second. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And risk playing in which converted cattle barn where? 

Fargo/Scheels is not my first choice but it is my second. 

First of all a converted Cattle barn is not going to happen.  Secondly there are 4 regional's so a  1 in 4 chance to get sent to a crappy place.  And Finally they will be playing in the same place as 3 other teams so no advantage or disadvantage. 

#1 Seeds will never host as long as Fargo/Scheels is an option. 

Something you need to make short term sacrifices for long term fixes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

First of all a converted Cattle barn is not going to happen.  Secondly there are 4 regional's so a  1 in 4 chance to get sent to a crappy place.  And Finally they will be playing in the same place as 3 other teams so no advantage or disadvantage. 

#1 Seeds will never host as long as Fargo/Scheels is an option. 

Something you need to make short term sacrifices for long term fixes.

You’re far too confident to think they’ll give REA the bid. As stated in another post, they’ll avoid it at all costs. And why would UND give up an hour drive home crowd vs fly somewhere? 

1 minute ago, Langster019 said:

You’re far too confident to think they’ll give REA the bid. As stated in another post, they’ll avoid it at all costs. And why would UND give up an hour drive home crowd vs fly somewhere? 

Considering we won #8 without a "home" regional, I don't think flying somewhere is necessarily a huge disadvantage.

1 hour ago, Langster019 said:

They will not have a choice if no one else bids.  But ultimately the goal is to have #1 seeds host.  Goal would be to have a #1 seed from out east come to REA where UND is and UND win the regional.  

#1 seeds should host

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Considering we won #8 without a "home" regional, I don't think flying somewhere is necessarily a huge disadvantage.

Having the regional in Fargo is good mostly for the fans - more convenient & less costly. As far as the team is concerned, it's also less costly & more convenient, but it hasn't amounted to jack for success. Flub after flub. If a team is hungry & clicking on all cylinders, they'll win anywhere.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Big Green said:

They will not have a choice if no one else bids.  But ultimately the goal is to have #1 seeds host.  Goal would be to have a #1 seed from out east come to REA where UND is and UND win the regional.  

#1 seeds should host

There will always be other bids. But yeah hopefully we get to a point of campus hosts 

4 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Did they get Geno Parrish to come back?;)

I wish I could give you the answer that you'd like to hear.  (Yes he's coming back.   The best contrarian indicator around ... if he complains about a call, the correct call is the opposite of what he says.)

But at least no more Jim Rich trolling UND fans by (deliberately?) massacring the names ...

46 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

I wish I could give you the answer that you'd like to hear.  (Yes he's coming back.   The best contrarian indicator around ... if he complains about a call, the correct call is the opposite of what he says.)

But at least no more Jim Rich trolling UND fans by (deliberately?) massacring the names ...

I saw a broadcast last year? with Jim and Geno.  Gotta say it was really a treat ;) listening to two super-homers basically cheering for their team.  Makes me appreciate what Midco has with Alex Heinert and team.