SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

24 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

You don’t actually thing It was implied by him that it’s 100% team and 0% coaching, do you? If you’ve followed this coaching staff at all over the last decade you know they own the bad results and know they are the ones to steer things where they need to go. Not sure if that’s what you meant (I may be confused which happens a lot) but if you thought he was fully deflecting to the team and not the coaches I think you may have misinterpreted things.

It would have been nice to also hear him say something like, "I needed to do a better job at preparing the team for tonight" or "I maybe should have called a timeout when we went down 0-2" or "I should have talked with the captains before the game about what was expected of them tonight", etc. Keyword being "I". ; ) Everyone probably had a hand in that train wreck. 

Perhaps this was just a freakish anomaly in that they ran into a hungry team that was determined to win one for the memory of Demers; seems like sometimes things are scripted to happen a certain way. But anyway, onward & upward to Providence.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Big A HG said:

Not sure what you saw in that presser that I'm not seeing.  Berry's always been a talker and the more he talks the less he gets questioned.  I'm not saying he didn't make any points, but it was like asking ChatGPT to turn a two minute script into an eight minute one.  He immediately starts with subtle, but noticeable excuses from the moment he started speaking.  "Yeah, um, exhibition game tonight."  Yeah, okay?  Like, was there someone in the media or a fan that somehow found the Youtube of the postgame presser that didn't know it was an exhibition?  He only says it to deflect from the team's performance, the team he controls.  "Got everyone in the lineup, everyone got reps tonight".  Hey, we sucked, but everyone played, including the crappy guys, so don't hold us too accountable for the final result.

I wouldn't scrutinize Berry to this level if this was 2018, but it's 2024 going on 2025 and we haven't done !@#$ in the post-season since the title run in 2016.  Cool, we can hang out with our Penrose Cups while watching 14 other schools make a Frozen Four since the last time we did.  Air Force has more tournament wins than UND since 2016.  

Now, we may go destroy Providence on Saturday 8-0, and everything will seem great, but Berry needs to stay on the hot seat for our tournament failures and non-appearances over the stretch of time he's had full control over the program and roster, not with the inheritance he received from Hak.

I'm pretty sure Chaves has no hot seat.

3 hours ago, Sodbuster said:

I noticed that all 3 of them spent a lot of time staring at the floor in the first few minutes.......

They were ashamed of the performance, as they should have been. When Brad asked if there was anything they liked in their game tonight, all 3 of them were dead silent which seemed appropriate because there wasn't a single positive thing that presented itself in the game. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The off-season pomp & circumstance that is UND hockey is officially over. All the hype & promises made over the summer now have to be equally matched by wins on the ice. Now is the time when the rubber meets the road & fans no longer care about what was said in June. Purge whatever mental pathogen is plaguing the team & hang #9. Carpe diem.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, .357 said:

Berry highlighted the team's deficiencies, but one thing he didn't mention was any responsibility he may have had in the poor results across the board. Can't imagine that last night's game was 100% on the team & 0% on the coaching staff. Good coaches can see weaknesses in their players, great  coaches can see weaknesses in themselves. 

So apparently he see's weaknesses in his players better than Carle.   Yes, it sucks that they had a poor performance, but let's face it, Berry will be judged where Carle has thrived, in the postseason.   How many times has Denver laid eggs early in the season, even against us, but in the end it isn't remembered much because they have reached the ultimate goal quite a bit recently.   Plenty of room to build from here.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, .357 said:

The off-season pomp & circumstance that is UND hockey is officially over. All the hype & promises made over the summer now have to be equally matched by wins on the ice. Now is the time when the rubber meets the road & fans no longer care about what was said in June. Purge whatever mental pathogen is plaguing the team & hang #9. Carpe diem.

So are you saying maybe we should have waited until a game that counted before we all become ledgies again? ;) Makes a lot of sense to me lol.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So are you saying maybe we should have waited until a game that counted before we all become ledgies again? ;) Makes a lot of sense to me lol.

I'm thinking some folks remain ledgies during the offseason.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

I'm thinking some folks remain ledgies during the offseason.

I get it. People are not happy with what happened on Saturday. Hard not to be upset. If it happens again against Providence, I'd find more concern. We'll see!

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I get it. People are not happy with what happened on Saturday. Hard not to be upset. If it happens again against Providence, I'd find more concern. We'll see!

It was frustrating to watch but I’ve seen games like this before where nothing seems to be working and it typically works itself out. I’ll worry more if this continues to be a trend in the next couple weeks. 

I’ve seen some pretty insane overreactions from non-UND fans. Apparently 4 days into the season there is no hope for our team to turn this around.  :whistling:

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

It was frustrating to watch but I’ve seen games like this before where nothing seems to be working and it typically works itself out. I’ll worry more if this continues to be a trend in the next couple weeks. 

I’ve seen some pretty insane overreactions from non-UND fans. Apparently 4 days into the season there is no hope for our team to turn this around.  :whistling:

It's wild and unhinged. Social media is a cancer.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I also am tired of the cliches and boilerplate talking points.

What should they say? This is quite literally everything that is said in media in every sport. I don't understand what people want from a coach in a presser. Or, what they expect. Bubs absolutely held his team and his staff accountable after Saturday night's game. 

50 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

To all SS.com members that are struggling with last weekend's results...

YARN | It's not your fault. | Good Will Hunting (1997 ...

That's not the narrative...  by now you should know it's fan desire that brings success. Try to do better. 

52 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What should they say? This is quite literally everything that is said in media in every sport. I don't understand what people want from a coach in a presser. Or, what they expect. Bubs absolutely held his team and his staff accountable after Saturday night's game. 

Once upon a time, there were two head coaches at the University of North Dakota that always spoke their minds and told it like it was. One coached men's hockey. The other coached women's basketball. One was named Dean Blais. The other was named Gene Roebuck. Does that answer your question?

Here's a drinking game for you: Every time Berry says "At the end of the day....." in the post-game interview, take a shot of Jack Daniels. Just make sure you don't have to drive afterwards.

I guess that sums up my feelings on this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Once upon a time, there were two head coaches at the University of North Dakota that always spoke their minds and told it like it was. One coached men's hockey. The other coached women's basketball. One was named Dean Blais. The other was named Gene Roebuck. Does that answer your question?

Here's a drinking game for you: Every time Berry says "At the end of the day....." in the post-game interview, take a shot of Jack Daniels. Just make sure you don't have to drive afterwards.

I guess that sums up my feelings on this.

There's no doubt that Berry is an affable, genuine guy who cares deeply about his hockey team. He bleeds green & it's obvious; wouldn't doubt it if he has stress-related ulcers because of all the pressure to succeed here. He also has an eye for talent & recruits quality players with good characters. But I have my doubts if he's capable of taking a team to the championship & winning it all. Yes, he did it 9 years ago, but he inherited that loaded team from Hakstol, who was singlehandedly responsible for landing Boeser & all those other studs.

Not a slam on Berry, but I envision him more as a salesman. I think he would be a natural working in the UND Alumni Department, reaching out to wealthy grads & convincing them to dig deep into their pockets to donate to their old school. He's a very likable guy & has a talent for relating to people & putting them at ease: qualities that will get one far in sales. But behind the bench of a major D1 hockey program & guiding a team to no. 9? Not saying he can't do it, but the proof is in the pudding.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, .357 said:

There's no doubt that Berry is an affable, genuine guy who cares deeply about his hockey team. He bleeds green & it's obvious; wouldn't doubt it if he has stress-related ulcers because of all the pressure to succeed here. He also has an eye for talent & recruits quality players with good characters. But I have my doubts if he's capable of taking a team to the championship & winning it all. Yes, he did it 9 years ago, but he inherited that loaded team from Hakstol, who was singlehandedly responsible for landing Boeser & all those other studs.

Not a slam on Berry, but I envision him more as a salesman. I think he would be a natural working in the UND Alumni Department, reaching out to wealthy grads & convincing them to dig deep into their pockets to donate to their old school. He's a very likable guy & has a talent for relating to people & putting them at ease: qualities that will get one far in sales. But behind the bench of a major D1 hockey program & guiding a team to no. 9? Not saying he can't do it, but the proof is in the pudding.

I also like Berry as a person. But, like you, I am starting to doubt if he can take us where we need to go.