SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday Afternoon VS Denver

NDFAN

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about the loss guys, Denver didn't impress any of my group at all.

My favorite part of the game was Diggler's boy toy getting his stick stuck in the boards, then falling over trying to pull it out. It was entertaining.

I sure hope Robbie Bina is okay, that hit looked so horrible and he was down for so long! I'll be checking in here to find out how he is. Also, I hope Brady Murray is all right. I saw him go off the ice with one arm just hanging, didn't stop to talk to anyone, just ran into the locker room.

Compared to Paukovich, I'm guessing Marco Peluso doesn't look so bad anymore... :D

And as much as I find Matt Greene to be annoying, he had a lot of self control in not retaliating for the hit on Bina. He was also right there with him most of the time when the trainer was there. The rest of the team kept their cool, too. I wonder, though, what would have happened if it was 3-1, or 4-1, if there would have been some fights.

BTW, Colorado College absolutely BLEW ME AWAY. They looked so good out there tonight! Partially because the Gophers played like crap.

WCCO picked Barry as the #1 star of the game, and he was the player of the game for the Gophs. WHAT? Barry turned the puck over every time he touched the puck. He couldn't get a decent shot on net, if he could even hang on to it long enough to get a shot off.

Huge difference between the fans at the early and late games. The early fans (Gopher, Sioux, etc.) were really nice and talked hockey with my bf and me. The late fans were either on their cell phones, drunk and talking about stupid crap, or trying to start a fight with me about the Bulldogs because I was cheering for CC and yelled at Chucko. It's OBVIOUS they didn't care about hockey at all! I mean, it's one thing to be wasted at a game, but another to be wasted and not even paying attention. Or to be rude to other people and not have a single supportive comment to make about your own team. I was totally disgusted by the people we sat near. They were freaking out about the final CC goal (where the goal light mistakenly went on, but then they scored for real a few seconds later.) My boyfriend was trying to explain that turning on the goal light does not stop the play, but they were just screaming at Shepherd. God, Shepherd called a lot of ticky-tack on CC and let a lot go for the Gophs, he was trying to donate the game to the Gophers, but they couldn't even capitalize on that.

CC stays with their man, stays in position, and defends well against the oddman rush. I was so impressed!

I saw one guy in a chiefs jersey, we yelled at each other about old time hockey and Eddie Shore. I want one of those jerseys.

I sent them a little note but got a "delivery failure" on both...You sure on the addresses?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What two-bit operation the WCHA website is. I copied the addresses directly off of it. God forbid anything does it's job when it comes to the WCHA. :D

If the game would've become a blowout, I think fights would have happened. You could tell from Greene's voice that he was very pi$$ed off after the game and I'm sure he spoke for the entire team. It wouldn't have been pretty.

On the Sioux goal that was disallowed both the goal judge and Adam signaled a goal so I assume there needs to be conclusive evidence that it did not go in to change the call.  I haven't seen a replay but was it conclusive that it didn't go in or "couldn't tell".  If you couldn't tell on the replay then I would hope the rule is that the ref and goal judges ruling stands.

On the Denver goal that was disallowed Adam never signaled goal or no goal just went to the replay.

Adam sucks, Anderson sucks more, and Shepard is a black hole.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was sitting right next to a cameraman on the photo stand, and his replay screen made it look pretty likely the puck didn't cross the line. Makes you wonder why Adam crouched down and pointed directly to a spot in the goal, signaling he saw a goal...

John

Greene should've taken one for the team and throttled that loser. who cares if Greene would miss tomorrow's game. Let's keep the Goofers goal count at zero for the tourneywith a shutout on Sat. send them home.........(wait, they're AT home) with nothing.

by the way, shouldn't the Sioux play the night game on Sat.? Need that attendance, right? Doesn't MN always get the night game??????????????

What a great team we have to cheer for. This is a team we can really be proud to cheer for. What a gutty effort today. Sure, I always wish we would win but I don't even feel bad about today's game. The guys gave it everything, and it was almost enough.

What Adam's problem is, I don't know. Got home and watched the tape and it's hard to figure why that was only 2 minutes.

Mad Man, in watching Zajac's called-off goal I can see what you mean about the puck maybe being under his elbow. But in watching it a few times I became satisfied it was under his butt. But I could still be convinced it was farther back there....

Great job by Lammy.

Great job by the players to play a clean game after the Bina hit.

Our speculation was that Greene would take Paukovich to the woodshed. Who cares if he get's held out of tomorrow's game. But Greene didn't and that's ok. Frankly, Paukovich is one huge dude, and frankly he looks bigger and more solid than Greene. Which is probably why he acts like such a punk. He can get away with it.

Bench minor to the Sioux fan sitting behing me who felt it necessary to tell me that I wouldn't call Paukovich a "cheap ass" player if he was standing in front of me (when I yelled at him to sit his cheap ass down). Duh. And I'm not bigger than Paukovich either, but I could be. But neither of those things was happening, so STFU.

I've respected Gwoz in the past but if he keeps putting these kind of guys on the ice it's hard to do. I also noticed Paukovich didn't see any ice for a while until they needed him on special teams. I'm wondering if Gwoz felt it best to let the ice "cool down" for a while before putting him back out there.

After Bina was taken off the ice, the players were coming back on the ice to take the faceoff and there was this loud "smash" you could here all over the arena. I missed it but my friend said Fuher smacked his stick against the glass on the penalty box, sending a little message Pauko's way.

Personally I have little faith that the Sioux have enough left to do much this year. I fervently hoped they'd pull out today's game. I have no hope for a win tomorrow, and hope only for a respectable effort. And with losing Murray, Prpich and Bina I just don't know if we have the pieces to do any damage next weekend. That, and this weekend will have taken a physical and mental toll on the boys.

I'm with others that thought forfeiting tomorrow's game would be a good idea. But as my friend pointed out, no way would the WCHA allow that (or the NCAA?). They'd want the gate receipts...

So I say give Brandt the goal one last time, play everyone and their mother, and let the chips fall where they may. I'll be there to cheer them on.

Get well, Robbie.

So I say give Brandt the goal one last time, play everyone and their mother, and let the chips fall where they may.  I'll be there to cheer them on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like this idea. Unless Robbie shows up for the game the guys' heads may be elsewhere. I'm not expecting a great performance and that just may wreck Parise's hot streak. I like the idea of Brandt in net for a stand on his head performance.

After reading this entire thread of posts, I just wanted to add a few words also.

I have been a Sioux fan since the early 60's. I have seen many games and have known many of the players and all of the coaches for many of those years. I have even had the honor of coaching some of the Sioux players previous to their becoming Sioux players (and in some cases, NCAA Champions). I can honestly say that the pride I felt while watching the guys play against Denver was right up there with any of their Championship performances. What heart, guts, grit, determination, and class they exhibited. And to Hak and his staff, I am so proud of your display of class and control during what has to be one of the worst nightmares a coach can experience. Hak's control of his own and his team's emotions at such a volitile moment only shows that they did pick the right guy for the job, and it's only going to get better as time goes on.

The fact that they get to play the Gophers, even under such trying conditions (lacking manpower, etc.) only will bring out the best in our team.

WCHA: Don't let Adam ref another game, ever! That lack of rules enforcement seems like excellent grounds for a lawsuit that might help prevent another player from such an unneeded injury and risk of life.

Pray for Robbie Bina to fully recover.

Here is excerpt from article in today's Rocky Mountain News:

Sioux coach Dave Hakstol and his players were upset with Paukovich and referee Don Adam, who assessed a minor penalty for boarding while Bina lay on his back. Bina eventually was immobilized and carried off on a stretcher.

North Dakota spokesman Dan Benson said Bina would remain at Regions Hospital in St. Paul overnight for further evaluation.

"It's believed to be a serious injury and we hope to have more information to release (today) with the family's permission," Benson said.

"You never want to hurt somebody when you're playing," Paukovich said. "(Bina) was going for the puck and I was just going on the forecheck and I hit him. I hope he's all right. I never mean to intentionally hurt anybody.

"I didn't think it was a big deal until he was laying on the ice."

North Dakota's Nick Fuher, who scored a first-period power-play goal, skated in front of the penalty box where Paukovich sat and slammed his stick against the boards. Paukovich got an earful from the fans and Sioux players every time he stepped on the ice after the incident.

"I wasn't really worried," Paukovich said. "All of us are able to protect ourselves, and there was too much on the line for anything to happen."

Appears the poster took the quotes out of context. Of course his inability to recognize what a hit from behind can do is not good. I don't think a punk like this should be playing hockey for a long while. It's not a "forecheck", idiot, from behind after the whistle on a delayed penalty. Get a clue.

Greetings to all the great fans on this board. For my first post I wish the topic was a little more on the happy side of things, but I have a question for anyone that can answer. I missed the action that led up to the cheap hit, but, was there not a delayed penalty against the Sioux? Was Robbie not moving to touch up?

Greetings to all the great fans on this board.  For my first post I wish the topic was a little more on the happy side of things, but I have a question for anyone that can answer.  I missed the action that led up to the cheap hit, but, was there not a delayed penalty against the Sioux? Was Robbie not moving to touch up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is correct.

What is the chance that UND will be able to play DU in the NCAA tournament? If these two teams meet again there will be fists of fury. And there should be. Paukovich should pay more than a one game suspension for what he did. I'm not saying go Bertuzzi on him, but pound his face in nice and good.

That's what I thought. I agree with Sprig, nice "forecheck". This punk is not only dangerous, He's as dumb as a bag of hammers. I remeber how he acted when we played them up here, the pointing, the taunting. Makes me wonder how our guys kept from coming unglued. Kudos to Hak.

I hope we see Denver again and kick the crap out them. Especially Paukovich. He deserves a good a** whopping. He never needed to even forecheck him. Like he says he was trying to do. He new damn well it was a delayed pentaly on Sioux and all Bina had to is touch the puck. There was not need for him to come flying full speed like and crash a player that isn't even expecting it. I think Adams needs a butt kicking too. Even a person who hardly knows the game coould have made that call. since he was standing 3 feet away.

It doesn't appear they'd end up in the same region, both would likely have to make the FF. I doubt you'd see the gloves dropped in an NCAA tourney game (at least not until late in the game with the outcome decided), especially when the Sioux stayed away from it in a more meaningless game yesterday.

It appears Wisco is in, as BU's loss tipped that comparison in Wisco's favor, making them #13. All the favorites are in conference tourney finals, so no conference champion will take the place of anyone in the 1-14 slots (since all are already in one of those spots).