SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-1) vs VCSU (4-3) 11/16 7PM

sioux24/7

Well in @SWSiouxMN absence figured I would start this. Don’t have any commentary to add about the opponent, just that this should be a blowout. This game counts for us but is an exhibition for them. 

Now what I do want to talk about is how the NCAA needs to fix this scheduling or the mid-majors need to come together to help each other out. We have 3 non-D1 games on the schedule and that’s not including the exhibition game. This isn’t just a UND problem either. NDSU has 3, SDSU has 3 and USD has 3. So seems pretty standard, I just don’t think it should be. They’ve added the Big Sky/Summit challenge so that helps with 1 game. Pair up with the MAC or something for another game or 2.

I don’t know exactly how to fix it but I personally don’t want to go to the Betty 3+ times to watch some D2 or NAIA program. 

• Upvote 1

• sioux24/7 changed the title to UND (1-1) vs VCSU (4-3) 11/16 7PM
4 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Well in @SWSiouxMN absence figured I would start this. Don’t have any commentary to add about the opponent, just that this should be a blowout. This game counts for us but is an exhibition for them. 

Now what I do want to talk about is how the NCAA needs to fix this scheduling or the mid-majors need to come together to help each other out. We have 3 non-D1 games on the schedule and that’s not including the exhibition game. This isn’t just a UND problem either. NDSU has 3, SDSU has 3 and USD has 3. So seems pretty standard, I just don’t think it should be. They’ve added the Big Sky/Summit challenge so that helps with 1 game. Pair up with the MAC or something for another game or 2. I didn’t my know exactly how to fix it but I personally don’t want to go to the Betty 3+ times to watch some D2 or NAIA program.

I've pointed this out before, but keep getting told that nothing can be done about it because the athletic department has no $$$$ to fix it. And it's about keeping more of the gate. But I agree with you.

11 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I've pointed this out before, but keep getting told that nothing can be done about it because the athletic department has no $$$$ to fix it. And it's about keeping more of the gate. But I agree with you.

No on is arguing that it sucks. And it isn't that nothing can be done about it, they have actually made some decent strides the last few years. The staff and athletic department would love nothing more to get more D1 home games.

As mentioned, no different than the other Dakota schools. The options are to try to find money games on the road, where you're likely going to be a significant underdog, play smaller schools to get more guys some playing time and at least have a few home games or completely overpay to convince some team to come, and even then, a lot of teams aren't going to bother because they spend their guarantee trying to travel up here. 

They need to continue to work with NDSU and to a lesser extend USD/SDSU to try to get teams two games for one travel itinerary. That's likely going to be the best chance to continue to make improvements. As previously mentioned, the conference helping out even further would be ideal. Getting more D1 games on the schedule will help everyone's SOS and possible tournament seed for the winner.

• Upvote 1

I completely understand the issues with scheduling and why they have to play the D3/NAIA schools at home. Completely get that. My biggest gripe is that they keep playing the bad teams at that level. Try and schedule the better D3/NAIA teams so that the games are at least competitive.

It really does nothing for UND to play Northland that they beat by over 50 or a Waldorf or a North Central. Sure your bench guys get some playing time, but when it's a 30-40+ point game it isn't even competitive and doesn't really help much. 

Try get a Morningside (Iowa), Northwestern (Iowa), Jamestown, Dordt (Iowa), or other teams that are consistently top-25 teams at that level to come play a competitive game that helps both teams get better. But then again, I guess you run the risk of losing to a NAIA team on your home court and nobody wants that. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If you're going to have to play a Non D1- you want that game to be a guaranteed win- No reason to play good teams at a lower lever because UND assumes all the risk.

• Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, SD UND said:

If you're going to have to play a Non D1- you want that game to be a guaranteed win- No reason to play good teams at a lower lever because UND assumes all the risk.

I'm sure the players love playing in a non-competitive 50 point blowout 4 times a year!! I bet the fans enjoy watching it even more!! 

I'm also sure these games really help the team be at their best and prepared when it really matters, in conference season and in the conference tournament! 

*This is all sarcasm.*

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I'm sure the players love playing in a non-competitive 50 point blowout 4 times a year!! I bet the fans enjoy watching it even more!! 

I'm also sure these games really help the team be at their best and prepared when it really matters, in conference season and in the conference tournament! 

*This is all sarcasm.*

You are right, it's really easy to schedule D1 Home games because other teams around the country have a strong desire to travel to Grand Forks, ND for a Thursday game in November-December.

Noone likes it, it sucks. But it is what it is right now.

Just now, SD UND said:

You are right, it's really easy to schedule D1 Home games because other teams around the country have a strong desire to travel to Grand Forks, ND for a Thursday game in November-December.

I literally just provided a solution. Schedule better non-D1 teams. It is really that simple. I can guarantee plenty of good D3/NAIA teams around the area would be all for playing an exhibition game against a D1 team because they know it will make them better. As well as it would make UND better than playing these 50 point blowouts. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Thats not what he is saying.  He said IF we have to schedule Non D1 schools at LEAST schedule competitive Non D1 schools.  Why schedule a Northland. Schedule a local college that is good in their league that may have some local players on it. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, NewUndFan said:

Thats not what he is saying.  He said IF we have to schedule Non D1 schools at LEAST schedule competitive Non D1 schools.  Why schedule a Northland. Schedule a local college that is good in their league that may have some local players on it. 

I also stated why they don't schedule teams like that. It is not worth the risk to stumble against someone like Jamestown. So you schedule Northland, win by 100 and move on to the next one.

• Downvote 2

12 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

We have 3 non-D1 games on the schedule and that’s not including the exhibition game. This isn’t just a UND problem either. NDSU has 3, SDSU has 3 and USD has 3. So seems pretty standard, I just don’t think it should be. 

But as you say, "seems pretty standard"; thus, is it really a problem or the de facto new standard.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SD UND said:

I also stated why they don't schedule teams like that. It is not worth the risk to stumble against someone like Jamestown. So you schedule Northland, win by 100 and move on to the next one.

I’m very confused about our opinion NAIA, when we want to recruit NAIA transfers they aren’t talented and can’t make the jump to D1. But when trying to play against an above average NAIA its too big of a risk that we’ll lose. Playing against an NAIA at home we should win by a lot, now playing against an above average NAIA should still win very comfortably but now is just more competitive 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

But as you say, "seems pretty standard"; thus, is it really a problem or the de facto new standard.

No one is arguing that. It is standard at the moment.

All some of us are saying is that since they have to schedule non-D1 games, they should at least schedule more quality non-D1 teams. 

If UND is really that scared to lose to a solid D3/NAIA team at home then we have bigger issues....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Totally Agree with Hoopsfan. If we are worried about Jamestown we have way bigger issues.  You get a Jamestown team in here that is at least competitive and have some local kids on the team will draw more interest then a Northland college we play every year from Wisconsin that has no local names anyone will recognize.  Last night the women played Concordia and I recognized some the girls that were playing and it was at least fun to see how some of the local kids are doing.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

I’m very confused about our opinion NAIA, when we want to recruit NAIA transfers they aren’t talented and can’t make the jump to D1. But when trying to play against an above average NAIA its too big of a risk that we’ll lose. Playing against an NAIA at home we should win by a lot, now playing against an above average NAIA should still win very comfortably but now is just more competitive 

Us: Hey we should recruit that guy playing in the GPAC. Good NAIA conference, very good player! 
SD: Actually it’s a terrible conference with a terrible level of play. 
Us: Ok, let’s schedule some GPAC teams!

SD: No they’re too good. Can’t risk losing to them. 
Us: wtf??

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

It is a problem if the Summit League as a whole is trying to move up the conference RPI/NET food chain.  It should be a goal to get an at-large at some point, having that many non-DI games is a problem.  Although the way football is going, March Madness may not be a thing in 10 years.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

It is a problem if the Summit League as a whole is trying to move up the conference RPI/NET food chain.  It should be a goal to get an at-large at some point, having that many non-DI games is a problem.  Although the way football is going, March Madness may not be a thing in 10 years.

IMO, I think you will see the Summit league do something to get rid of some the Non D1 games.. whether that's doing more conference "clashes" or mandating only 2 non d1 games.. etc.. I think we will see something like that moving forward. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, SD UND said:

IMO, I think you will see the Summit league do something to get rid of some the Non D1 games.. whether that's doing more conference "clashes" or mandating only 2 non d1 games.. etc.. I think we will see something like that moving forward. 

I think some type of Summit League day/weekend in Kansas City with games at both the T-Mobile Center and the Memorial Auditorium.  Turn it into a real early season event with almost a festival type atmosphere.  Let each school play a game in each venue.  The Hoops junkies can watch games all day, the casual fans can see their team and then go for some BBQ.  Summit-Big Sky challenge is a good start, maybe similar with the Horizon League or WAC.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

I think some type of Summit League day/weekend in Kansas City with games at both the T-Mobile Center and the Memorial Auditorium.  Turn it into a real early season event with almost a festival type atmosphere.  Let each school play a game in each venue.  The Hoops junkies can watch games all day, the casual fans can see their team and then go for some BBQ.  Summit-Big Sky challenge is a good start, maybe similar with the Horizon League or WAC.

Horizon league would be awesome, but there is so many schools within 200-300 mile radius of all those schools that they tend to go south or east to get like opponent games and cut down on travel. 

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

Work something out with MU, KU, and/or KState.  They'd be a huge draw and would relieve the Summit teams from a big payout for a home game.  They'd probably fill the T-Mobile, not to mention Municipal Auditoriuim.