SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Northland (Exhibition) (11/1 7 PM)

SWSiouxMN

5 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Free throws 15-26

need to be better 

If we take out Hong and Erikson, it is 14-22 from the projected regular rotation players(63.6%). 

Still not great but better than 57.7%.

8-15 from 3 from the projected regular rotation players will work however. 

30 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I will be very curious to see how fast Mara gets up to speed.

He looks pretty lost basketball wise. I’m sure will be even more apparent against legit competition but man is he a freak athlete!! And he’s got really good size. Going to be hard to keep him off the floor even with not very polished basketball skill/IQ.

That will come with time and being on the floor more though. 

6 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

He looks pretty lost basketball wise. I’m sure will be even more apparent against legit competition but man is he a freak athlete!! And he’s got really good size. Going to be hard to keep him off the floor even with not very polished basketball skill/IQ.

That will come with time and being on the floor more though. 

Agreed. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I left with 4 to go but from what I saw I think Kraft might have the best chance of being a player here. His shot is legit and he’s got some build to him. His finish of Hong’s great defensive play was awesome. 

Wow, he has gotten bigger since leaving Red River.  Very nice shot. 

15 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Wow, he has gotten bigger since leaving Red River.  Very nice shot. 

I listened to the game on the radio so not able to see the size Kraft put on since being in a college strength program, but I would say Hong and Bothun have the most potential out of the group. We all know where I stand on Hong, but I am excited to see Bothun in 2 years after he puts on some weight and develops to the college game some more.

1 minute ago, McBuckets said:

I listened to the game on the radio so not able to see the size Kraft put on since being in a college strength program, but I would say Hong and Bothun have the most potential out of the group. We all know where I stand on Hong, but I am excited to see Bothun in 2 years after he puts on some weight and develops to the college game some more.

I would agree with Bothun too. I think I will give the edge to Kraft but Hong can be a nice player as well. Maybe Doppler did something after I left but man I just think he’d be better fit in the NSIC unless something clicks for him. 

7 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I would agree with Bothun too. I think I will give the edge to Kraft but Hong can be a nice player as well. Maybe Doppler did something after I left but man I just think he’d be better fit in the NSIC unless something clicks for him. 

Doppler got a couple buckets in the last 2 minutes but yeah he would be a real nice addition for a NSIC team, seems like he loves the midrange which we’ll have to see if that translates to this level. My guess is he’ll have to become a pest on the defensive side of the ball to earn some minutes in the next few years.

39 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

If there is one thing that Bothun knows how to do right now: shoot it. 

9 hours ago, McBuckets said:

Hong don’t miss

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, McBuckets said:

I would say Hong and Bothun have the most potential out of the group. We all know where I stand on Hong, but I am excited to see Bothun in 2 years after he puts on some weight and develops to the college game some more.

Agree 100% here. Of the 5 bench guys that played the final 11 minutes I was most impressed with those two guys. Hong actually has skill and you could tell that he knew how to play basketball at this level. Redshirting all of last year definitely helps. I could actually see him in a year or two being a solid backup PG. Initiate the offense, make the right reads, be a full court pest on defense, and knock down open 3's.

Bothun needs a year or 2 of strength and conditioning at this level to develop more, but he could turn into a really good stretch 4 for UND. I see a lot of Kienan Walter in Bothun. Which is a really good thing!

Not sure how Doppler & Erikson are scholarship players on this team......... but Kraft is a good walk-on for this team. He will help the team a lot as a practice player! Always need guys like him on the team! 

16 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Midco is paying.  Not dumb.  They are also local and actually care about the Summit, so will be a high priority.  That isn't the case with ESPN+.  More money for UND on media deal is a good thing.

I'm not talking about money. As a consumer it's dumb. I haven't seen one fan base excited about it. In fact, the only people I've seen excited about it is Midco employees. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Midco is paying.  Not dumb.  They are also local and actually care about the Summit, so will be a high priority.  That isn't the case with ESPN+.  More money for UND on media deal is a good thing.

Its nice for someone who only cares to watch Summit League games but as a fan of college basketball and other college sports this is just another subscription we have to get plus need ESPN+ to watch some of the non conference games. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

The Midco broadcasts were the ones that were broadcast on ESPN + so there is no difference other then now I have to have a Midco Plus Subscription, ESPN Plus to catch the games on there that are not played at a Summit League school AND Have a TV subscription to CBS Sports to catch those games AND if I want to watch the Iowa game on Tuesday I need a Big 10 + subscription for $15.  Not sure why they didnt just keep with ESPN + definitely more bang for your buck because I can watch other teams as well for exact same price as Midco Plus.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

The Midco broadcasts were the ones that were broadcast on ESPN + so there is no difference other then now I have to have a Midco Plus Subscription, ESPN Plus to catch the games on there that are not played at a Summit League school AND Have a TV subscription to CBS Sports to catch those games AND if I want to watch the Iowa game on Tuesday I need a Big 10 + subscription for $15.  Not sure why they didnt just keep with ESPN + definitely more bang for your buck because I can watch other teams as well for exact same price as Midco Plus.  

Not arguing those points because they are all 100% valid. Subscriptions cost more than cable these days to watch what you want. Stuff like the Iowa game is the same regardless of what the Summit is doing.

They did it because Midco is actually paying them, requiring minimum broadcasts and now all Summit games will be televised (instead of being on whichever platform the home team had, if they even had one). Fenton set up a very successful model that was the same thing with the NCHC and the schools with larger fan bases actually see some return on it. Also, getting away from ESPN allowed them to move the championship, so no more Tuesday night championship game on ESPNU, instead they will have some flexibility on when that can be played. I know one of the big complaints is the Monday/Tuesday finish for semis/finals. If it flops or they get enough negative feedback, ESPN will take them back for the exact same deal they were getting.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Not arguing those points because they are all 100% valid. Subscriptions cost more than cable these days to watch what you want. Stuff like the Iowa game is the same regardless of what the Summit is doing.

They did it because Midco is actually paying them, requiring minimum broadcasts and now all Summit games will be televised (instead of being on whichever platform the home team had, if they even had one). Fenton set up a very successful model that was the same thing with the NCHC and the schools with larger fan bases actually see some return on it. Also, getting away from ESPN allowed them to move the championship, so no more Tuesday night championship game on ESPNU, instead they will have some flexibility on when that can be played. I know one of the big complaints is the Monday/Tuesday finish for semis/finals. If it flops or they get enough negative feedback, ESPN will take them back for the exact same deal they were getting.

Yep, I understand, but I'm hopeful that the Midco deal is a step toward NCHC.tv moving to that platform, which would save me $115 a year on that service.  And again, I like the other wraparound services that Midco provides like weekly highlight shows and better support of the conference than ESPN does.  And I've also had lots of mediocre broadcast quality on ESPN+ streams, while all the Midco broadcasts have been much better and more consistent.  I get that they aren't every going to show Duke-UNC or other big games, but they are very good at what they do and they are actual invested in the community and in the Summit League.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Anyone taking his posts seriously says more about them than it does the basketball program. 

The basketball program has finished 10th and 9th in the summit league the last 2 years. 2 years ago in the opening exhibition we were lucky powerhouse mayville state had its worst team in 5 years and squeezed out a 2 point win. Hopefully this year is better! 

• Upvote 2