SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

On 1/10/2024 at 6:49 AM, Johnny Five said:

Maybe  not a lot of interest in girls hockey here but it's just a sh*show right now.  

GF swept N/S on the season.  On Saturday, GF was in Bismarck and put up 13 SOG total on Legacy/Bis (won 3-2).  Travel to Fargo last night and beat N/S 5-1 to complete the season sweep.  Jamestown (currently sitting 8) has now taken WF (currently sitting 1) to OT in both games this year....all the while losing to Devils Lake 7-1 a few weeks ago.  

The final 5 weeks is going to be an absolute mess for spots 6-7-8 to get into the state tournament. 

Jamestown needs to find some offensive consistency if they want to stay in the hunt for those last 2-3 spots. In their last three games, they've put up 9 shots at home against Mandan, 36 on the road vs WF (OT) and 6 at home against FN/S (OT). Luckily Olivia was locked in and stopped 139 of 142 shots in those games and they were able to pick up two points. If they keep getting outshot like that, the season probably won't end well for them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Red River and GFC playing tonight is the highlight game of this week.  

You can view this game by going to www.knoxradio.com and click on the Sports Link then click on the KNOX Live Sports Link.  Ryan Cunningham and Ryan Kuntz will have the Play-by-Play with the Pre-Game at 7:00 pm and face-off at 7:30 pm

Legacy at Minot on PSP Network.  Also Davies and North.  Plus WF and N/S on the girls side.  

Some juicy battles this evening.  

24 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

You can view this game by going to www.knoxradio.com and click on the Sports Link then click on the KNOX Live Sports Link.  Ryan Cunningham and Ryan Kuntz will have the Play-by-Play with the Pre-Game at 7:00 pm and face-off at 7:30 pm

Legacy at Minot on PSP Network.  Also Davies and North.  Plus WF and N/S on the girls side.  

The fiercest rivalry in the state. Also #1 seed on the line

Fiercest rivalry in the state doesn’t disappoint 

gfc goalie got the boot for punching 

no gfrr playa in trouble

gyess rumor has it gfrr playas ate at the golf course before game while gfc playas had Italian moon

8 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Watching PSP, Matt Morelli is hilarious when he gets irritated with Minot's play.  He's pretty hard on his hometown team.  I think it's him doing color tonight? PSP is such a great thing, they do an outstanding job.  Think they are doing WDA again.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Clark17 said:

Watching PSP, Matt Morelli is hilarious when he gets irritated with Minot's play.  He's pretty hard on his hometown team.  I think it's him doing color tonight? PSP is such a great thing, they do an outstanding job.  Think they are doing WDA again.

Yes that's Morelli.  He's had complaints from Minot fans for being hard on their own team before lol!  He calls it like it is, whether it's Minot or their opposition....good or bad.  Minot had Legacy on the ropes last night, Miller won that game for them.  Legacy hung around and got a timely goal to tie it up and then it got a bit controversial at the finish, which unfortunately, took a bit away from the game itself.  These 2 teams got into it during the jamboree this year and with the way the 2 matchups have played out, if they go round 3 in WDA it will be must watch. 

On 1/15/2024 at 2:55 PM, SiouxperDave said:

Jamestown needs to find some offensive consistency if they want to stay in the hunt for those last 2-3 spots. In their last three games, they've put up 9 shots at home against Mandan, 36 on the road vs WF (OT) and 6 at home against FN/S (OT). Luckily Olivia was locked in and stopped 139 of 142 shots in those games and they were able to pick up two points. If they keep getting outshot like that, the season probably won't end well for them.

I saw it happened again last night.  Another 1-0 loss, this time to Davies and 42 saves for Sorlie.  Abrahamson is Abrahamson, but I Sorlie is giving her a run for SR Athlete of the year with the saves numbers she's putting up.  

• Like 1

Happened to catch the GFRR/GFC scrum that led to the ejection. Cant argue with the way the ruling was handled but looked like a few other things went uncalled as well leading up to it and after.

Was that Cunningham on the pXp call with Kuntz as color for KNOX live?

A bit too much exagerating on the pXp IMO, and it isnt needed the game was/is good enough.

PSP is spectacular and Morelli is great as a color guy, just brutally honest and fair, exactly what you want in the booth.

The Minot/Legacy game was great, although poorly reffed all night, and then with what like 5 and a half to go Minot was tagged with a major. 

Here's  the clip of the 5/&Game that was called.... 

11 hours ago, Clark17 said:

I love how Morelli doesn’t sugar coat anything. I had the privilege of coaching a AAA squirt team with him for 2 years when his son Mason and my daughter were on the same team. He’s a good dude and passionate about the game 

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Happened to catch the GFRR/GFC scrum that led to the ejection. Cant argue with the way the ruling was handled but looked like a few other things went uncalled as well leading up to it and after.

Was that Cunningham on the pXp call with Kuntz as color for KNOX live?

A bit too much exagerating on the pXp IMO, and it isnt needed the game was/is good enough.

Yep.  Cunningham and Kuntz.  I thought Cunningham was moving to Valley City, but he does most GF high school games. 

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yep.  Cunningham and Kuntz.  I thought Cunningham was moving to Valley City, but he does most GF high school games. 

Guess he couldn’t sell his house in Thompson’s as they zoned it commercial 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I was kind of watching the Minot/Legacy game, but didn't hear what the call was?  Boarding perhaps?  Not sure.  Obviously a few upset people.   

I know the official that made that call personally, a tremendous guy, worked at State Hockey last year, and has done some USHL games.  It isn't easy to be an official some days.  I find myself being over critical even after being one myself.  They are all human.  

I think it was a board and then the kid must've said something and he got a 10 too boot (actually the misconduct could've been tacked on with the boarding if the refs deemed it bad enough).  PSP guys kinda went overboard on their criticism of the officials the last 5 minutes of the game and postgame, not a good look IMO.  HS hockey, not the Stanley Cup, call the game and the action and promote the kids and the awesome coverage/promotion you are giving them....  

If the stats on ND HS are accurate, Minot is AVG 13 PIMS a game.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

I think it was a board and then the kid must've said something and he got a 10 too boot (actually the misconduct could've been tacked on with the boarding if the refs deemed it bad enough).  PSP guys kinda went overboard on their criticism of the officials the last 5 minutes of the game and postgame, not a good look IMO.  HS hockey, not the Stanley Cup, call the game and the action and promote the kids and the awesome coverage/promotion you are giving them....  

If the stats on ND HS are accurate, Minot is AVG 13 PIMS a game.  

I know the PSP guy really well and he is so passionate about Minot High School athletics.  I can honestly tell you that he is the first one to take a step back after his broadcasts and ask others if he is over critical because that is the last thing he wants to be on the air.

His business relies on high school athletics and sponsorships.  High school athletics relies on having officials available to do those games.  I think he is very well aware of that fact.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I know the PSP guy really well and he is so passionate about Minot High School athletics.  I can honestly tell you that he is the first one to take a step back after his broadcasts and ask others if he is over critical because that is the last thing he wants to be on the air.

His business relies on high school athletics and sponsorships.  High school athletics relies on having officials available to do those games.  I think he is very well aware of that fact.   

Ya I don't want them going nowhere they are awesome.  Nothing wrong with a little self reflection once in awhile.  Make it tough when it's an intense game on the guy on the color is also a parent.  

• Upvote 3

Jamestown nips Minot in OT.  Busy week for Minot.  Legacy, BHS, Jamestown tonight, North tomorrow.

4 games in 5 days.  

Sheyenne beats South/Shanley 5-1.  Different year for the Bruins.  

9 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Sounds like it goes to GFC this year.

As good as EGF has been in MN 1A I think a lot of Minnesotans would be surprised to hear they haven't even been able to win their inner-city title for what 6-7 years now? I think 1 time in the past decade?