SiouxSports.com Forum

Some Thoughts on UND's FB Program

UND Fan

Big Donors, Bubba, Prez Andy, Alumni Assc, Champions Club, hell anyone with a brain comes on this forum to figure out ideas to improve UND athletics. AND if they did they would read a couple threads and never come back on this forum! This B*^*#€+= is not going to fix anything.

all this does is make UND look bad to the actual people who might come on this forum to gauge what’s going on like prospective recruits and their parents. UND Football Fan makes us look BAD! I really hope UND football kicks arse this fall so that UND Football Fan chokes on some CROW!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, NDRA said:

My point was that he says UND has to better at many things.  Recruiting being a key area.  He has a valid point if you ask me.  As far as everything else.. I'm Switzerland.

Of course UND needs to get better at recruiting, that’s all of our points. Can you explain to me how him come on this forum is going to get us better recruits? Talk is cheap, I can talk all day long and get nothing done for UND football. 

I want to beat out AG U for recruits, I want to recruit bigger and better talent, I want the next Trey Lance or Billy Turner. Just because I say I want it on this forum won’t get UND anywhere. If we pony up cash for NIL or facilities, volunteer my time to fundraise , buy season tickets,  etc, for the betterment of the program is the only way change things.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Of course UND needs to get better at recruiting, that’s all of our points. Can you explain to me how him come on this forum is going to get us better recruits? Talk is cheap, I can talk all day long and get nothing done for UND football. 

I want to beat out AG U for recruits, I want to recruit bigger and better talent, I want the next Trey Lance or Billy Turner. Just because I say I want it on this forum won’t get UND anywhere. If we pony up cash for NIL or facilities, volunteer my time to fundraise , buy season tickets,  etc, for the betterment of the program is the only way change things.

I don't get the problem we have with recruiting.  It seems like nothing ever changes and now NDSU is pulling them in left and right.  Big, sought after players too.   I think my skin would crawl if I had to sit in the same room with Entz listening to him recruit any kid of mine and yet they they get the job done.   The only good thing about NDSU getting all these top notch recruits is that in 2 or 3 years they'll all be in the portal.

The fact still remains UND isn't doing it right on recruiting and I've complained about this for years.  No, I don't have the answer.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

“Ralph Engelstad Arena, a $110 million gift from her father to the university, was completed in 2001 as the new home to UND hockey. The arena, contracted to be turned over to UND in 2030, was just one topic of many discussed in a wide-ranging interview between McGarry and Forum News Service. McGarry requested the meeting.”

“According to her, Kennedy characterized the arrangement made between the university and her father, Ralph, as written to the benefit of the donor at the expense of UND.

“(He said) my dad made a bad deal when he first gave them this gift,” she said, a comment Kennedy said he doesn’t recall saying.

The school eventually retired the Sioux name and logo at the behest of the NCAA and now officially uses the Fighting Hawks nickname for its athletic teams. But the Sioux logo still remains in the Ralph, embedded in marble floors, and on seats and other fixtures.

Because of that, McGarry said, Kennedy has accused the family of “creating brand confusion” for the school, a charge she views as unfair.

source: https://bismarcktribune.com/i-want-to-see-him-do-his-job-kris-engelstad-mcgarry-describes-hostile-relationship-with/article_35608880-d9e5-5293-b78c-231b98677ae8.html

In 2018 and 2019, Engelstad spoke publicly about her strained relationship with Mark Kennedy, who at the time was UND's president. The Herald reported in 2019 that Engelstad said the foundation wouldn’t give direct funds to the university until Kennedy was no longer president, though it continued to support student scholarships and the hockey program. Kennedy left UND in May 2019.

Source: https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/north-dakota/engelstad-foundation-crosses-500-million-in-giving-kris-engelstad-hopes-to-strengthen-relationship-with-und

Kennedy was right. He knew what needed to be done to right the ship and help out football, and quite frankly make funding fair, but he was ousted due to public outcry, stirred up by Engelstad. When called out, though, they would still fund hockey, just nothing else, which is basically the current arrangement now that all is good again for the hockey moguls. You think the Engelstads walk on water too, I see. You’re easily convinced, but that’s no surprise. And I don’t find my desire to improve UND football hilarious, but thanks for posting your opinion, @siouxfan512. And as for numb comments by @jdub27, you think it’s a coincidence Kennedy left for Colorado in 2019? That’s the real hilarious piece in all of this. Ha! Ha! Ha! Why don’t you read up on some facts and get back to us. Thanks. Easily manipulated like the majority of GF was back in 2018-19 … shame, shame, shame. 

So, if we received a $100M gift for football tomorrow (Stadium, Uniforms, NIL funds, practice facilities, etc.), would you be complaining about how it puts the football program on a pedestal and isn't fair to the basketball or volleyball program? or golf, or whatever?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

No one cares about all this talk, do something about it and quit tainting this forum!

The whole point of a forum is “talk”. You can’t “do something” on a forum, but you can set forth the foundation and discuss ideas.

Nice try, though.

• Like 2

Big Donors, Bubba, Prez Andy, Alumni Assc, Champions Club, hell anyone with a brain comes on this forum to figure out ideas to improve UND athletics. AND if they did they would read a couple threads and never come back on this forum! This B*^*#€+= is not going to fix anything.

all this does is make UND look bad to the actual people who might come on this forum to gauge what’s going on like prospective recruits and their parents. UND Football Fan makes us look BAD! I really hope UND football kicks arse this fall so that UND Football Fan chokes on some CROW!

I won’t be choking on sh*t; if that happens. I’ll be attending the games with a smile and congratulating the staff each step of the way, from the blue turf to the Alerus Center as the piss yellow fan base exits in disappointment. With all that said, I can also be realistic. The direction of the program is worrisome - more so due to the lack of support from Chaves and the hockey-centric mindset enabled by Engelstad gift(s) - but there are things that can be done to fix it. Since @Sioux>Bison is too sensitive to read comments about that on here, I guess I’ll have to move it to other forms of communication, which I have no problem with. 

• Like 1

Just because I say I want it on this forum won’t get UND anywhere. If we pony up cash for NIL or facilities, volunteer my time to fundraise , buy season tickets,  etc, for the betterment of the program is the only way change things.

You sure must be a hell of a leader …

Do you realize UND hires people to do what you’re suggesting? Obviously not, albeit it’s fair to argue they’re not getting the job done. 

It’s okay to use a forum to communicate with passionate fans about ways to encourage more support, but as your replies indicate, there will always be some “fans” who don’t get it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

So, if we received a $100M gift for football tomorrow (Stadium, Uniforms, NIL funds, practice facilities, etc.), would you be complaining about how it puts the football program on a pedestal and isn't fair to the basketball or volleyball program? or golf, or whatever?

It’s standard place for football to receive the major donations in terms of collegiate athletics in the U.S.A.

It is NOT commonplace for hockey to receive the major donations.

Public opinion matters because that is what fills the seats. 

UND and greater GF region consistently fills the REA, but regionally and nationally speaking, UND has become more and more irrelevant of late in other sports because they aren’t funded (nor focused on) at the level needed to excel. It’s not all just about filling up the REA, which many are content with cause that is done year after year, but it’s about pushing the brand forward regionally and nationally. That will increase enrollment, recruiting, and further perpetuate success. Football and basketball are far more popular nationally than hockey, so those other sports absolutely matter. 

So to answer your question, yes; a $100M gift to UND football would do wonders for UND athletics as a whole, but that surprises no one. You get what you pay for. 

59 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’s standard place for football to receive the major donations in terms of collegiate athletics in the U.S.A.

Yeah. And? 

Differentiation. 

What if some anonymous donor gave $350M for brain research or engineering, and not football? Still a problem? It also happened 20 years ago. Should RPI have dumped it into football and basketball?  

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Public opinion matters because that is what fills the seats. 

UND and greater GF region consistently fills the REA, but regionally and nationally speaking, UND has become more and more irrelevant of late in other sports because they aren’t funded (nor focused on) at the level needed to excel. It’s not all just about filling up the REA, which many are content with cause that is done year after year, but it’s about pushing the brand forward regionally and nationally. That will increase enrollment, recruiting, and further perpetuate success. Football and basketball are far more popular nationally than hockey, so those other sports absolutely matter. 

So to answer your question, yes; a $100M gift to UND football would do wonders for UND athletics as a whole, but that surprises no one. You get what you pay for. 

I love how blatant and obvious your hypocrisy is. Just to clarify, its ok for football to receive a big donation, but not for hockey to. So what would your suggestion have been to the school; turn down the REA donation? Thanks, but no thanks? Would you have cared if this was for track and field? or golf? Or is this once again just your hatred of hockey shining through.

Sorry, I just get sick of reading your nonsense, it equates to a kid throwing a tantrum because something isn't fair. Lets call it what it is ... jealousy. Which I totally understand. When someone has something really nice, why wouldn't you want the same. I'd love for football to have the same caliber of facilities as hockey, but unless you've got another extremely wealthy donor ready to put their name on a building the conversation is moot. Hockey got the money because Ralph was a hockey guy. Pretty clear that when someone specifies what their donation is for you can't just divert their funds to something else.

Also worth noting that even if Football had all the donations in the world, it wouldn't necessarily flip a switch and make UND a dominant program (it would certainly help). We still have NDSU in our backyard and they will still win recruiting battles because they win on the field. Obviously money and facilities help; I'd never deny that. Though lets also look back at hockey. We had plenty of high end players before the REA was built, and we've missed on plenty of high end players since the arena was built. Plenty of other factors.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

Is it really so bad excelling at hockey and being just ok with football? 

Pick one and do it the best?

Its not terrible that North Dakota has a great football school and a great hockey school IMO.

Nah, I think that is kind of lame. You should strive to be strong in all programs. I don't care to settle for mediocrity. That seems to be the common cry from NDSU fans, which makes sense, they don't want another strong football program in the state. Things are going just fine the way they are for them and they have enough competition regionally with SDSU, wouldn't want someone else stepping in.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Nah, I think that is kind of lame. You should strive to be strong in all programs. I don't care to settle for mediocrity. That seems to be the common cry from NDSU fans, which makes sense, they don't want another strong football program in the state. Things are going just fine the way they are for them and they have enough competition regionally with SDSU, wouldn't want someone else stepping in.

Nice assumption, wrong but ok.

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

more so due to the lack of support from Chaves and the hockey-centric mindset enabled by Engelstad gift(s)

Imagine not supporting a program but somehow managing to get 19 regular season home games over the next 3 years scheduled. Truly amazing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

NDSU has strong programs in almost every sport. Not the best at all of them but many of them near the top of the standings. 

I think it’s possible to have a top 10 FB team and a top 5 hockey program , but for football to get to the elite level of NDSU it’s going to be really tough even with more donor money. Nothing wrong with a UND football program that on an average season makes the playoffs. I want titles but I know that’s going to be really tough to repeat year after year

24 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Imagine not supporting a program but somehow managing to get 19 regular season home games over the next 3 years scheduled. Truly amazing.

He also fails to realize that hockey has triple the amount of home games to fill the Ralph with 11k fans each night. That means we should spend triple the amount on hockey as we do football. Football at best will only sell 72,000 ish tickets per year for 6 home games

1 hour ago, SlowHand said:

Is it really so bad excelling at hockey and being just ok with football? 

Pick one and do it the best?

Its not terrible that North Dakota has a great football school and a great hockey school IMO.

This would be a terrible attitude to have. You want us to be just ok with being mediocre at football? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SlowHand said:

Not saying you specifically, but there are plenty of Bison fans that would love to see UND fold there football program altogether. Look no further than Bisonville, where they clearly state they do not want UND to be a football school.

• Upvote 2