SiouxSports.com Forum

Bad News: Greene arrested

PCM

Matt Greene is wrong. He screwed up bigtime, maybe could have killed someone. Unfortunately, a DUI is pretty common in the high school to college years. How many people do you know that have gotten a DUI, or should have? My point is that Matt is a college student, he did something very stupid that many people in his peer group do. The fact that he is an athlete and in the spotlight magnifies his mistake. Hopefully he learns from his mistake.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some background:
  1. I do not enjoy writing negative stories about Sioux players. In fact, I hate it.

2. If someone hadn't posted a message on this board Monday morning about what Greene allegedly did in Warroad, I wouldn't have known about it.

3. After I read the message on this board, I immediately alerted UND officials to it. That gave the Sioux coaches time to visit with Matt and find out more details.

4. Shortly after 1 p.m. on Monday, I received confirmation from a media source in Warroad that Greene had been stopped for suspicion of DUI and failed the sobriety test. I alerted UND officials to this, too.

5. About mid-afternoon, I was told that UND was working on a statement regarding the incident involving Greene in Warroad.

6. At 5:22 p.m., I received an e-mail from the UND athletic department containing the official statment. I also received a phone call saying that the statement was being faxed to the media.

7. At 5:48 p.m., I submitted my story to USCHO. It was posted online a short time later.
If you want to be angry at somone, be angry at the person who anonymously posted the rumor about Greene on SiouxSports.com. I let UND know the rumor was out there. And when I learned that the Warroad media already had the story, I informed UND about that, too. As far as I know, USCHO knew nothing about the Greene story until I submitted my article based on UND's official statement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great job as always. :D

In light of this situation Mr. Greene has put himself into, let's play word association:

- Craig MacTavish

- Dany Heatley

At least Greene has "lucky" to go with "stupid".

Well, maybe the others were lucky too because they weren't the ones killed by a drunk driver.

If MG invokes his constitutional right to a trial and is convicted, he will lose his privileges to operate a motor vehicle in MN for 90 days (I am assuming he is a Michigan of ND licensed driver).  If he foregoes a trial and pleads guilty, he will losing his driving privileges in MN for only 30 days.  Either way, it will cost him $680.00 to get his MN privileges reinstated and he will also lose his license in the issuing state.

I think that he loses his privileges regardless of a conviction or not. There is the civil forfeiture of his driving privileges based on principles of implied consent, and there is the criminal prosecution for driving while intoxicated. Never the twain shall meet.

Unless he pays some hack lawyer big money to start an implied consent challenge in the Roseau County District Court (an apparent sure loser lawsuit under the facts here present), he loses his privileges to drive in Minnesota after seven days. He doesn't get them back for 90 days, unless he goes in and pleads guilty to a dwi at his first opportunity. In that case, the Department of Public Safety cuts first timers some slack and returns full driving privileges within 30, rather than 90, days.

Certainly there is more information that would be helpful in making a judgement on this particular case. However the idea that you can "wipe the slate clean" is problematic in that you have to question the character of an individual who made the decision to get behind the wheel in an allegedly impaired state. No lawyer or money will change the fact that this decision, again allegedly, was rationalized in his mind. Look at the poster who seems proud of the fact that he has done this multiple times and has "gotten away with it." Ask yourself this question. Whould you or your family members want to be in the vicinity of an individual with this attitude?

I know if this was a member of any other team the SS.com crew would be railign on they guy bad.... :D

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean like the poi crew is doing :D:D You'd like to see similar nonsense here. I'd guess you and partners didn't go out for a brew after a game you attended in GF?

Winter weekends without hockey appears to be "not a good thing". I'm sure Greene will get what is deserved, as do many college kids.

Schmidt- The world revolves around Who you Know or How Much Money you have....I don't care if you are in rural Nebraska or smack in the middle of NYC...that is the bottom line. Speculation on this is worthless...Lets wait and see how this plays out.......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not disagreeing with the money sentiment, but with regard to the county I mainly practice in, it is anything but speculation. I don't presume to know how things work in the airline industry nor do I know how they work in Warroad, but I do know that the attorney in this area that has been voted the best criminal defense attorney in this region charges a $3,000.00 retainer on DWI's and in the five years I have been in this county, he has yet to win a DWI case here - and he is a damn good lawyer.

I have seen many a bigwig from the Cities, from Sioux Falls and other "bigger" areas around here come through the courthouse with their beamers, fancy suits, airs of confidence and leave with their tails between their legs and hanging their heads on DWI matters.

I just hope, for MG's sake, the facts warrant a reduced or dimissed charge. Until then, we might as well take a deep breath because it could take a while for this to play out. . . . .

Certainly there is more information that would be helpful in making a judgement on this particular case.  However the idea that you can "wipe the slate clean" is problematic in that you have to question the character of an individual who made the decision to get behind the wheel in an allegedly impaired state.  No lawyer or money will change the fact that this decision, again allegedly, was rationalized in his mind.  Look at the poster who seems proud of the fact that he has done this multiple times and has "gotten away with it."  Ask yourself this question.  Whould you or your family members want to be in the vicinity of an individual with this attitude?

Five-Hole, I think that's Sal from Cando you are referring to. Sal and Lefty are probably a couple of posters who you shouldn't take too seriously.

I just love reading all these "self righteous" posts. For the record I don't have a DUI nor have ever been pulled over for suspicion of such - however I have used poor judgement in the past on a couple of occasions in driving home from a bar when I probably should have gotten a ride. Not to say my actions were malicious just that I didn't feel all that intoxicated even though had I been tested i might be been close to the limit. That said I'm sure a lot of others can tell the same story including some that are presumably crucifying Matt G for his poor decision in this case. Look in the mirror before casting stones.

wow, hard to believe all the peeps here trying to defend these actions!  I beleive in innocent until proven guilty myself, but to try and defend these actions is just plain silly.  IF he is guilty, he should be treated as any other person with a DUI, and not have fans try and shrug it off.  I know if this was a member of any other team the SS.com crew would be railign on they guy bad.... :D

WPoS

I suppose I should go back and read all the posts but I have a couple of perceptions:

1. the numbers of people shrugging this off and suggesting Greene shouldn't pay his debt to society seems rather small to me. I think most think he should be held responsible for whatever he did.

2. I think a member of the gopher team got into some trouble with the law up in GF in the last couple of years and rather than spread the word via the internet, it came out quite a long time later that knowledgeable individuals who post on this site sat on the knowledge.

I have seen a grown man cry and shriek in pain as he was pulled from the twisted wreckage of a car that he crashed head-on into a tree while driving under the influence.

I have seen the limp, lifeless bodies of two teenaged girls pulled from a mangled car that was hit head-on by a drunk driver. I watched as two of their friends -- broken and bloodied -- were loaded into an ambulance. They survived only because they were in the back seat.

I have seen a mother literally go insane after her son was dragged for miles under a car. A drunk driver read-ended the motorcycle on which he was riding, then ran over him as he lay helpless in the street. A saw a veteran police officer who found the child's body break down on the witness stand in court as she attempted to describe the events of the day.

A judge who routinely presided over DUI cases once told me that a drunk driver was like a bomb traveling down the street. Nobody knew when it would go off. He was exactly right.

You all tell me what it's like to have your head "two-railed" off the driver's side window and windshield of your car (while wearing a seat belt no less) from being broadsided by a drunk driver and I'll tell you all about righteous indignation.

i'll tell you what it's like to watch my cousin roll his wheelchair around the house for christmas, or wait for him to come downstairs for an air hockey game in his house cuz his wheelchair lift takes five minutes. i'll tell you how lucky he is to have his wife and three young children keeping him from being angry about having his neck broken by a friend who decided to drive drunk. my cousing was trying to talk him out of the car when he popped the clutch and rolled the vehicle down a hill. my cousin wasn't lost, but watching him is a constant reminder of how stupid the decision is to drive drunk. greene should be stripped of his 'C' and at least suspended if found guilty. This s&!t is preventable.

There was the earlier suggestion to look in the mirror. I have looked in the mirror and obviously others have too based on the above posts. My look in the mirror involved one of my best friends who was killed in an accident involving a drunk driver. I determined at that point that I would NEVER put myself in the position of drinking and driving. Obviously I take these kind of situations very seriously and I resent being called "self righteous" by those who gloss over this subject. It really all boils down to personal responsibility and no matter who I point at, what excuse I give, or however I choose to rationalize it, it doesn't change the choice that I make. When an individual faces up to this fact then he/she can make positive changes in their lives. Maybe this will be the case for Matt Greene.

You all tell me what it's like to have your head "two-railed" off the driver's side window and windshield of your car (while wearing a seat belt no less) from being broadsided by a drunk driver and I'll tell you all about righteous indignation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

people...people...people... We don't even know the facts of the case. If he broke the law he will be punished just like any other citizen, no judge is going to care that he plays hockey for the Sioux when determining his punishment. Drinking is a huge part of the college culture at UND as I can attest to as a graduate of the institution and negative consequences and poor choices sometimes result. Let's face it there is not much else to do in GF in the middle of winter when it is 30 below outside. If you drive while impaired you will have to be prepared to face the consequences if caught.

Sounds like Mr. Greene made a bad choice, ALLEGEDLY...but you know what? It was his decision and his mistake. Greene is the one that will have to pay the fines, do community service, attend counseling, etc. The fact that he is a hockey player is irrelevant as far as the pending charges are concerned.

The fact that he is a hockey player is the only reason you are hearing about this on SS.com, USCHO, etc. I've read from the "experts" on this board that we should:

1) Let him go, start the cover up;

2) Crucify him, take his captaincy, kick him off the team; or

3) Understand that the guy is human and that he made a mistake

I'll stick with bullet #3 above and hope that Greene learned a valuable life lesson. Luckily, nobody got hurt (this time). How Greene moves forward from this will be the real test.

We all know that college drinking is commonplace on campuses all throughout the country - athletes and non-athletes alike. And, we should be certain that the judge will impose a fair and impartial judgement should Matt Greene be found guilty. What will be most scrutinized in this case will be the action taken by the UND coaching staff/athletic dept. and the message that action sends.

Sounds like Mr. Greene made a bad choice, ALLEGEDLY...but you know what?  It was his decision and his mistake.  Greene is the one that will have to pay the fines, do community service, attend counseling, etc.  The fact that he is a hockey player is irrelevant as far as the pending charges are concerned. 

The fact that he is a hockey player is the only reason you are hearing about this on SS.com, USCHO, etc.  I've read from the "experts" on this board that we should:

1)  Let him go, start the cover up;

2)  Crucify him, take his captaincy, kick him off the team; or

3)  Understand that the guy is human and that he made a mistake

I'll stick with bullet #3 above and hope that Greene learned a valuable life lesson.  Luckily, nobody got hurt (this time).  How Greene moves forward from this will be the real test.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with bullet 3 but I would take away the C as the person wearing it should be one who sets an example for the rest of the team both on and off the ice.

We don't even know the facts of the case. ...

Fact: He failed a field sobriety test. Forgive me if the standard I hold people to is "never have to take that test."

Let's face it there is not much else to do in GF in the middle of winter when it is 30 below outside.