SiouxSports.com Forum

Bad News: Greene arrested

PCM

Maybe someone could start another thread about karma. The two last week were entertaining.

The best karma combatant to summon against MN has to be Mike Legg.  (Hey, look, the Gophers are on Sportscenter!)  And on the bells tonight, please welcome Randy Skarda (clang it, Randy).  Sorry for picking the low-hanging fruit, but 23 years.

I'll bet you were being entertained by this snippet from jk's post all weekend. :blush:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So why do you shamelessly plug all the articles you write? There is another poster on this board who is a reporter who never plugs the articles he writes.

Also, why would you contact UND not once, but twice regarding this matter?

I would think if you had the trust and admiration of Mr. Greene and the rest of the Sioux players you would actually allow him to speak to the coaches first. Then they can handle the situation. I am sure they realized it would make news and they would have to issue a statement. Seems to me you weren't being objective and you were trying to become the story. I think you were afraid somebody would report it first. Especially after you said you knew a media source had the information in Warroad, because then you went and notified UND again. Also, if you notified USCHO at 5:48 then you waited a whole 9 minutes to plug your article on this board.

So why do you shamelessly plug all the articles you write?  There is another poster on this board who is a reporter who never plugs the articles he writes.

I would think if you had the trust and admiration of Mr. Greene and the rest of the Sioux players you would actually allow him to speak to the coaches first.  Then they can handle the situation.  I am sure they realized it would make news and they would have to issue a statement.  Seems to me you weren't being objective and you were trying to become the story.  I think you were afraid somebody would report it first.  Especially after you said you knew a media source had the information in Warroad, because then you went and notified UND again.  Also, if you notified USCHO at 5:48 then you waited a whole 9 minutes to plug your article on this board.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So would you rather let the rumors run rampant and have UND eventually get accused of covering up for one of their hockey players? Personally I prefer getting the information on the table as soon as possible. I suppose you prefer the way our two most recent presidents have handled their mistakes?

The way some have reacted on this board you would think the guy had killed someone. Has anybody heard of innocent until proven guilty? Even if he is found guilty it is a misdemeanor. Unfortunately a decent percentage of our population has been faced with the same charge Greene is facing. It is not the end of the world, the key is to learn something from the mistake.

"I agree with bullet 3 but I would take away the C as the person wearing it should be one who sets an example for the rest of the team both on and off the ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"

you know every guy on that team drinks, so i guess we shouldnt have captains?

How about letting Mr. Green go tell Coach Hak what he did? 

Let's see, 0230 hours Sunday until Monday late afternoon. That's over 36 hours. Ever hear of a telephone? Scarier yet, how about a cell phone. What do you bet Greene and Hakstol each have one? And what about Associate Head Coach Berry? Or Assistant Coach Eades?

"On the table" is much better than "whispers and rumors." (Heavens, did I just agree with Gopher-lovin' sagard?)

So why do you shamelessly plug all the articles you write?

"Shamelessly plug"? That sounds like you assume PCM is compensated by USCHO. Knowing PCM, that'd be wrong.

Apparently what PCM does get for reporting, reporting what UND had released to the press 30 minutes earlier(!), is a long, deep line of excrement from folks that can't handle the truth.

UND released it late in the day (hey, PCM could have gone "exclusive" on it much earlier in the day but he didn't! -- see his point d), PCM wrote it after the UND release, USCHO posted it, it was going to be here sooner or later.

But all of that is off the key issue:

Mr. Greene triggered this whole sequence with his choices.

To reiterate the timeline as PCM already outlined, UND issued the press release largely because the rumors were ALREADY running rampant.

There had been posts on this message board very early Monday that we removed because at the time they were unverifiable; many people had seen this rumor but were doing exactly the right thing by sitting on it to wait for confirmation. Once UND officially confirmed some facts, hastily reintroducing those confirmed facts into this forum was exactly the right move.

Posting links to external writings, news releases, photos, your personal thoughts, etc... about the Sioux is precisely the purpose of this forum.

So why do you shamelessly plug all the articles you write?

Call me an egomaniac, but I write articles with the idea that people will want to read them. That's why most writers write. Some writers like the idea of languishing in obscurity, but I'm not one of them. Sue me.

Yes, I could write articles and hope that people interested in Sioux hockey happen to stumble upon them. Or I can give Sioux fans a heads-up here and provide them with a link. Nobody has to read it.

In any event, I don't really understand why anyone should care whether or not I plug an article I write. It's not as if I make any money from it. I don't make a single penny.

There is another poster on this board who is a reporter who never plugs the articles he writes.
And who would that be?

First contact: There's a rumor on the Web about Matt Greene.

Second contact: The rumor is true and the media knows about it.

In both cases, the people I contacted thanked me for providing them with information because they didn't know anything about it. I did them a favor. I didn't have to, but I did. If I hadn't contacted UND, the coaches would have been blindsided when the story came out. I gave them the opportunity to get ahead of the curve.

I would think if you had the trust and admiration of Mr. Greene and the rest of the Sioux players you would actually allow him to speak to the coaches first.  Then they can handle the situation.
I was told that at least one coach would talk to Greene before practice. I could easily have written a story and submitted it to USCHO before that happened, but I didn't. Why? To give the coaches time to speak to Greene before the story broke publicly. It was only a matter of time before that happened.

I am sure they realized it would make news and they would have to issue a statement.

I have no idea what the players knew or intended to do. I do know that when I contacted the athletic department and told them what I knew, neither Dave Hakstol nor Brad Berry had any inkling about Greene's problem.

Seems to me you weren't being objective and you were trying to become the story.
If I wasn't being objective, it was in erring on the side of letting UND know everything that I knew before I publicly released anything the information I had.

I think you were afraid somebody would report it first.

Wrong. I could have reported it first, but I didn't. I didn't even start writing a story until UND issued its statement and told me that the statement was being faxed to the media.

Especially after you said you knew a media source had the information in Warroad, because then you went and notified UND again.
Right. I did know that at least one media outlet had the story. And I did know that the rumor about Greene had been posted on a public forum. I had no idea how many people in the media knew about it and were pursuing the story.

If I was interested in scooping everyone with this story, I certainly wouldn't have waited until UND issued a statement to the media to begin writing my story.

Also, if you notified USCHO at 5:48 then you waited a whole 9 minutes to plug your article on this board.

So?

"Shamelessly plug"? That sounds like you assume PCM is compensated by USCHO. Knowing PCM, that'd be wrong.

Apparently what PCM does get for reporting, reporting what UND had released to the press 30 minutes earlier(!), is a long, deep line of excrement from folks that can't handle the truth.

UND released it late in the day (hey, PCM could have gone "exclusive" on it much earlier in the day but he didn't! -- see his point d), PCM wrote it after the UND release, USCHO posted it, it was going to be here sooner or later.

But all of that is off the key issue:

Mr. Greene triggered this whole sequence with his choices.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sicatoka,

Don't you work for UND? I hope you aren't posting messages instead of working? Maybe I should inform the university. I am sure they know nothing about it. Have you been telling your boss you post messages at work?

The way some have reacted on this board you would think the guy had killed someone. Has anybody heard of innocent until proven guilty? Even if he is found guilty it is a misdemeanor. Unfortunately a decent percentage of our population has been faced with the same charge Greene is facing.  It is not the end of the world, the key is to learn something from the mistake.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Innocent untile proven guilty" is reserved for a court of law. The public at large has every right to assume anything they want.

I just don't understand everyone's panties in a bunch over this. The only difference between Greene and 100s of other people this past weekend is that Greene is part of one of the premier college hockey programs in the country. I certainly have faith that he'll learn from this mistake that a lot of people make. Just be thankful that his lack of discretion did not get some hurt, or killed. The court system will handle this, and his playing time MAY be affected. But this is not a "life" changing event. It is simply having to face the consequences of a bad decision.

It does seem odd that you would contact UND administators and tell them that there was someone on a message board that was spreading rumors about Greene failing a field sobriety test.

It looks like I was right, they were ice fishing. They musta been pounding them to stay that late. (Yes the pun was intended) :blush:

Sicatoka,

Don't you work for UND? I hope you aren't posting messages instead of working? Maybe I should inform the university. I am sure they know nothing about it. Have you been telling your boss you post messages at work?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, you know what? I love flaming too!

I think you have no life. I think all you want to do is to come here, claim you are a Sioux fan, and then flame people whose opinion is different than yours.

What I think, is that you are from Texas. And since Texas boasts the city with the largest dropout rate among high school students in the nation (Houston), perhaps your reading competancy isn't all that high. So, let me backscroll a bit and find the key points and put them like this so you may figure this out.

Item A: PCM's article was released AFTER UND's official release

Item B: Rumors were flying BEFORE UND's release

Item C: What good is an article if no one knows about it?

Item D: What forces you to follow the link? If you don't like it, don't read it!

Item E: Obviously you've never seen a talk show such as the Jay Leno Show, Tonight Show, Daily Show, etc. I'm sure you must explode every time you see an actor or a director talking about their latest work.

Item F: I recall PCM's story being written about Matt Greene and what he did. If he wanted to become the story, maybe he would write his memoirs?

Item G: MATT GREENE ALLEGEDLY DROVE UNDER THE INFLUENCE!!!!! IF HE DID IT, OR EVEN IF THE CHARGES ARE DROPPED MATT DID THIS TO HIMSELF!!!!!

Questions?

I for one very much appreciate that PCM posts a link to a new article he's written for USCHO here. If PCM writes the articles, I know they have interest to a Sioux fan. I don't check in on USCHO on a regular basis and often when I do it is to read the message boards, not the front page. I wouldn't know about the articles if he didn't mention them here.

Nope. Sorry. I'm just a shill for, not an employee of, UND.

At the risk of repeating myself:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm gonna tell your Mom :blush:

All of a sudden this board has a few people resorting to personal attacks. Maybe I now know why most people have anonymous names.

If the Sicatoka did work for UND that would make him a government employee, I would expect no less of a government worker to spend there days on internet chat rooms.

I think you have no life.  I think all you want to do is to come here, claim you are a Sioux fan, and then flame people whose opinion is different than yours. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blush::D

Yeah, I'm sure SIOUXTX is responsible for high school dropout rates in Texas.

He has no life? I've read many of your posts in the past and I would be careful to throw any stones like that.

I agree with Cratter, I think "odd that you would contact UND administators and tell them that there was someone on a message board that was spreading rumors about Greene failing a field sobriety test."