• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

heres the AP story from espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=1974594

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is hard to know at this point whether it is a positive or negative that he requested an independent examination of his choosing, in this case urine and not blood. What is not good is his choosing a urine test, which typically yields higher alcohol concentrations than either breath or blood.

The fact that he failed the preliminary breath test (field breath test - pbt) is of little consequence as those results are inadmissible should this matter make it to trial. Its sole function is to help the officer establish probable cause that the driver had a blood alcohol concentration in excess of 0.10. But often times the PBT calibration is manipulated by law enforcement agencies to yield a higher result and assist the officer in more easily establishing probable cause.

In my opinion, it is a positive that he didn't refuse to submit to alcohol testing. If he had done so, he faced, as NDH explained, a refusal to test charge, which in MN is a gross misdemeanor - a more elevated charge than the majority of first-time DWI charges.

I don't remember anyone getting too bent out of shape when Zach Parise and some others got MIP's last season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's because it was funny. :D

There is a difference though between what Zach did and what Matt supposedly did. Was Zach even drinking? Either way, what Zach did didn't risk endangering others.

What makes this worse than your typical college student DUI? How about the fact that Greene knows that the spotlight is on him and still gets busted.

By the way, I like how some Sioux apologists still think that all is well. Where is the leadership from the Sioux Captains? I do not know if you can do this or not, but I think that effective immediately the new captains should be Prpich, Bina, and McMahon, three guys who never take a night off (and stay out of trouble off the ice too).

This hit me as a little bizarre....Both Sweeney and the Espn article reference a final determination is pending a "urine test"? Don't they usually go for a blood test with booze? Thought urine tests were reserved for other substances BUT I'm NOT making any other allegations here. Just seemed a little odd...

Does anyone know the ramnifications of an American with a DUI their record and being allowed to travel into Canada? Seems to me that I heard that Canada has certain restrictions about allowing foreigners into their country who have this on their record.

What makes you think those other three guys never have a little fun? I believe your very wrong. Who even cares about what happens in there personal lives? Are you all you people on this message board really that obsessed with these guys you need to know there every move in life? Hes 21- he can drink.. thats not gonna stop him. Anybody whos 21 will have a damn beer...wether you play hockey for the sioux or work at a bank. Hell you know how many other athletes at college who are 21 drink? WOW just think if one of these boys on the hockey team who are under 21 got caught driving too after a beer or too... woo s&!t would hit the fan. Yah I relize no matter how many people say,, who cares its there personal lives you people will never stop talking about it.. I swear some you must have a nice easy job and you just sit on the computer all day long and talk on message boards.

Does anyone know the ramnifications of an American with a DUI their record and being allowed to travel into Canada?  Seems to me that I heard that Canada has certain restrictions about allowing foreigners into their country who have this on their record.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am sure the Edmonton organization will make sure Green will be playing in the AHL after UND's season without any problems. It's not like he's a tourist trying to get into the country he's a 2nd round draft pick on a Canadian team.

I believe American citizens with a DWI need to get what is called a Ministers Permit to enter the country.

Aside from that, I think everyone on this forum and others like it need to take a step back, we are college hockey fans and I say criticize all you want his play on the ice but be a little more careful about things like this. Most people have made some bad choices growing up. I hope for Matt's sake he learns from it and gets on with his life.

best thing to happen to the Sioux is if the coaches toss this dirtbag off the team. The Sioux are full of good young players - Greene hasn't helped the team for the past 3 years and this is certainly no help...let the good young kids get more playing time. Also, it is absolutely stupid to say that he made mistake and we all make mistakes because a mistake would have been if he had turned left rather than right...you don't mistakenly drink and drive - that is a willful and selfish move

ps - It is a given that they should at least yank the C

Some background:

1. I do not enjoy writing negative stories about Sioux players. In fact, I hate it.

2. If someone hadn't posted a message on this board Monday morning about what Greene allegedly did in Warroad, I wouldn't have known about it.

3. After I read the message on this board, I immediately alerted UND officials to it. That gave the Sioux coaches time to visit with Matt and find out more details.

4. Shortly after 1 p.m. on Monday, I received confirmation from a media source in Warroad that Greene had been stopped for suspicion of DUI and failed the sobriety test. I alerted UND officials to this, too.

5. About mid-afternoon, I was told that UND was working on a statement regarding the incident involving Greene in Warroad.

6. At 5:22 p.m., I received an e-mail from the UND athletic department containing the official statment. I also received a phone call saying that the statement was being faxed to the media.

7. At 5:48 p.m., I submitted my story to USCHO. It was posted online a short time later.
If you want to be angry at somone, be angry at the person who anonymously posted the rumor about Greene on SiouxSports.com. I let UND know the rumor was out there. And when I learned that the Warroad media already had the story, I informed UND about that, too. As far as I know, USCHO knew nothing about the Greene story until I submitted my article based on UND's official statement.

Some background:
  1. I do not enjoy writing negative stories about Sioux players. In fact, I hate it.

2. If someone hadn't posted a message on this board Monday morning about what Greene allegedly did in Warroad, I wouldn't have known about it.

3. After I read the message on this board, I immediately alerted UND officials to it. That gave the Sioux coaches time to visit with Matt and find out more details.

4. Shortly after 1 p.m. on Monday, I received confirmation from a media source in Warroad that Greene had been stopped for suspicion of DUI and failed the sobriety test. I alerted UND officials to this, too.

5. About mid-afternoon, I was told that UND was working on a statement regarding the incident involving Greene in Warroad.

6. At 5:22 p.m., I received an e-mail from the UND athletic department containing the official statment. I also received a phone call saying that the statement was being faxed to the media.

7. At 5:48 p.m., I submitted my story to USCHO. It was posted online a short time later.
If you want to be angry at somone, be angry at the person who anonymously posted the rumor about Greene on SiouxSports.com. I let UND know the rumor was out there. And when I learned that the Warroad media already had the story, I informed UND about that, too. As far as I know, USCHO knew nothing about the Greene story until I submitted my article based on UND's official statement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought your story was professional. The only people angry at you are the Sioux apologists that think the team can do no wrong.

wow, hard to believe all the peeps here trying to defend these actions! I beleive in innocent until proven guilty myself, but to try and defend these actions is just plain silly. IF he is guilty, he should be treated as any other person with a DUI, and not have fans try and shrug it off. I know if this was a member of any other team the SS.com crew would be railign on they guy bad.... :D

WPoS

$5000 and a good attorney will clean the slate. Repeat after me...

No it won't. Ain't a prosecutor around gonna let that one go, and there

ain't a defense lawyer around gonna do any better than Matt will going in

and telling the judge, and "society," that he is sorry.

$5000 to hold a hand? Lawyers. Drunks. And money. Bad combination.

No it won't. Ain't a prosecutor around gonna let that one go, and there

ain't a defense lawyer around gonna do any better than Matt will going in

and telling the judge, and "society," that he is sorry.

$5000 to hold a hand? Lawyers. Drunks. And money. Bad combination.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Time will tell....My money is on the $5 g's and a good defense attorney.

By the way great comment about being on the ice for Techs Massacre @ Mariucci!!

This hit me as a little bizarre....Both Sweeney and the Espn article reference a final determination is pending  a "urine test"?  Don't they usually go for a blood test with booze?  Thought urine tests were reserved for other substances BUT I'm NOT making any other allegations here.  Just seemed a little odd...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In MN, if probable cause exists that someone is driving while intoxicated, you have to submit to an Intoxilyzer test (breath), but you also have the right, by statutue, to an independent examination of either your blood or urine - which one is opted for is solely the defendant's choice, but it typically has to be arranged and paid for by the defendant. What it generally entails, is contacting the local paramedic to come to the jail and draw blood or hold the cup while you pee in it. The evidence collected is then sent to a lab for analysis and the results are generally returned in two-four weeks.

To clear up a few things that NDH posted, if MG is charged with misdemeanor dwi, he will likely pay a fine and receive a sentence of stayed jail time (meaning he won't actually serve any jail time). There is no minimum mandatory jail requirement on misdemeanor dwi's in MN and I have yet to see a judge require someone to actually sit time on a misd. dwi. If MG invokes his constitutional right to a trial and is convicted, he will lose his privileges to operate a motor vehicle in MN for 90 days (I am assuming he is a Michigan of ND licensed driver). If he foregoes a trial and pleads guilty, he will losing his driving privileges in MN for only 30 days. Either way, it will cost him $680.00 to get his MN privileges reinstated and he will also lose his license in the issuing state.

As for $5000.00 and you walk, that is nothing but a farce. That may work in the metro area, but in the rural areas, no way. I work in Clay County (Moorhead) and have for years and this County Attorney's Office has taken a hard-line stance on DWI's. They do NOT negotiate. It doesn't matter if you are Gerry Spence or some lowly poster from this board :D. If the client is over 0.10 and there was a legitmate basis for the stop, the defendant is screwed. They can plead guilty or go to trial. And let me tell you, juries have no patience, sympathy or love for those on trial for DWI. In fact, in this county, prosecutors have taken 0.07's to trial, which they can do by statutue when the defendant fails several field tests providing evidence of intoxication, and won convictions.

First:

Why is anyone trying to shoot the messenger? PCM's story didn't go to USCHO until after UND released a statement. Guess what! Cat's out of the bag already at that point.

Next:

So, this is the kind of captaincy this Sioux team has had all season. So this is the sort of (alleged) "leadership" this team has been under up to this point.

It all makes sense now.

Finally:

I'd pull the "C" from the jersey on the way to the arena door (and I'd keep the jersey too). I'd suspend him from the team until this matter is dealt with.

I'm watching for how not one but two people respond to this:

Matt Greene

and David Hakstol.

PS - dagies, I've been in a car, driving, broadsided by a drunk driver.

Schmidt- The world revolves around Who you Know or How Much Money you have....I don't care if you are in rural Nebraska or smack in the middle of NYC...that is the bottom line. Speculation on this is worthless...Lets wait and see how this plays out.......