SiouxSports.com Forum

The Official WJC Thread

DMT

I was there tonight. It ranked right up there in terms of excitement. Pulling the goalie with 3:45 remaining was incredible.

Stafford hit the pipe and passed the puck to guys who just couldn't bury it. Stafford seemed to really lift the team when he was on the ice... He got the assist, but he did everything but shoot the puck: He took it away on a backcheck, skated up ice, and made a great pass. You could see the pain in the expression on his face after the game. He really wanted it and just couldn't get it done although he and many others really picked it up during the last period.

It will be tough to put it behind them, but they better get ready for Saturday. Sunday against Russia would be a great game, but I'm not sure that is right. I thought the A bracket relegation winner would have to play a cross-over game against Canada.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ISunday against Russia would be a great game, but I'm not sure that is right. I thought the A bracket relegation winner would have to play a cross-over game against Canada.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here, hopefully, is a link to the official schedule of remaining games and possibilities from here on in.

World Juniors Official Game Schedule

I didn't get to see many of the games due to the fact that I was on vacation (Key West) where hockey is some foreign game not worth covering. I did get to see the 3rd period of the Swiss game vs USA and part of the Belarus game vs USA. One thing I notice is that no one is buying into team defense on the US. It looked to me like the player was charged with covering a player and that's it, no real help. Especially among the defending forwards. The difference between this year and last year is obvious when you look at the defensive game.

Canada is playing real team defense AND scoring lots of goals. I really don't think offense is a problem for the US as much as defense is. Montoya is a good goaltender, but a goaltender can only do so much without a defense in front of him. It's odd to say that about a team of unbelievable talent, but I really don't see a lot of talent among team USA's defensemen (no, I'm not slamming Lee individually) in regards to defensive play.

My limited opinion.

So what's the deal now ;) are we out of Gold contention ?

& why did espn2 quit showing USA games cause we lost one ?

This tourney has been hard to follow & I'm more interested than most :D

too bad there are not more tickets (at less cost or give aways) to fill the place

Who is going to be for Russia :silly:

USA is still in it for any medal. they just have 1 exra game to play now instead of getting the bye to the semi-finals. if they win on saturday i beieve they play RUSSIA then i am sure CANADA will be waiting in the finals for whoever makes it.

So what's the deal now ;) are we out of Gold contention ?

& why did espn2 quit showing USA games cause we lost one ?

This tourney has been hard to follow & I'm more interested than most  :D

too bad there are not more tickets (at less cost or give aways)  to fill the place

Who is going to be for Russia  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ESPN2 had announced prior to the games starting that they would broadcast 3 of the USA games. They did not stop broadcasting the games just because USA lost. They are also supposed to broadcast any games during the medal round which USA is involved in.

They officially announce it as: "In addition, all U.S. games that lead to the gold-medal game will be televised on ESPN2, with the exception of a U.S. appearance in the gold-medal game, which will be carried on ESPN."

So they'll continue showing games on ESPN2 if USA keeps winning, but the gold medal game, if the US is in it, will be on ESPN.

But they will not show the bronze medal, or any relegation games.

They officially announce it as: "In addition, all U.S. games that lead to the gold-medal game will be televised on ESPN2, with the exception of a U.S. appearance in the gold-medal game, which will be carried on ESPN."

So they'll continue showing games on ESPN2 if USA keeps winning, but the gold medal game, if the US is in it, will be on ESPN.

But they will not show the bronze medal, or any relegation games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not very smart, but I am concerned. ESPN2 schedule in the paper says nothing about tonight's game, nor do the Twin Cities' sports pages. Perhaps the game tonight is not considered part of the "medal round." It is impossible, at least for me, to find any ESPN2 schedule on the ESPN website.

In short, I am presently at a complete loss to determine whether tonight's game against the Rooskies will be on the tube. If yes, I can go buy my ice cream and chocolate sauce. If not, it wil be a travesty.

Any help from those of you in the know will be much appreciated.

I am not very smart, but I am concerned. ESPN2 schedule in the paper says nothing about tonight's game, nor do the Twin Cities' sports pages. Perhaps the game tonight is not considered part of the "medal round." It is impossible, at least for me, to find any ESPN2 schedule on the ESPN website.

In short, I am presently at a complete loss to determine whether tonight's game against the Rooskies will be on the tube. If yes, I can go buy my ice cream and chocolate sauce. If not, it wil be a travesty.

Any help from those of you in the know will be much appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

8:30 tonight, ESPN 2. Better go get that ice cream and sauce.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlistings/index

I posted this in another thread but it was extremely off topic, it fits much better here.

I'm sure some have heard this. I got a Sioux Insider e-mail on Thursday and heard it on WDAZ last night. All remaining seats for the WJ games on Monday are $5! It is WJ Appreciation Day for all the volunteering and support the communities have put up. I got 2 additional tickets for $24 on Ticketmaster.com, you know, $10 for the tickets and $14 for "convienience fees". IF USA loses to Sweden tonight, they will be playing for 5th place Monday night. I think it is a REA/USA Hockey ploy to take the WJ attendence record from the '03 tournament in Halifax but it's a great deal to see great hockey.

I'm sure some have heard this. I got a Sioux Insider e-mail on Thursday and heard it on WDAZ last night. All remaining seats for the WJ games on Monday are $5! It is WJ Appreciation Day for all the volunteering and support the communities have put up. I got 2 additional tickets for $24 on Ticketmaster.com, you know, $10 for the tickets and $14 for "convienience fees". IF USA loses to Sweden tonight, they will be playing for 5th place Monday night. I think it is a REA/USA Hockey ploy to take the WJ attendence record from the '03 tournament in Halifax but it's a great deal to see great hockey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right now with 11 games left, 200,000 total attendance is what the REA is probably shooting for, which will still be a major accomplishment for a US-based site. Last year's Helsinki championships drew around 115,000. The Halifax WJC had around 250,000 in attendance. The Halifax total could only have been exceeded only if the preliminary REA games all drew 11,000 and TRF drew 2500+, neither of which happened. Single game tickets sales for the preliminary round never materialized (except for Canadian games), probably because the package ticket holders selling/giving away tickets to games they didn't intend to go to.

Edited by star2city

So lets PACK that place Sunday night and at least give the Canadians a run for their money as BEST FANS of the tourney!! (that's a tough hill to climb - they're NUTS!) They did the 'big screen' shuffle tonight...(showing the canadian fans... BOO!!) ...then US Fans (YEAH!!!)..then the Canadian fans shouted everyone down with "BEL-A-RUS...BEL-A-RUS!!" Almost funnier the second time around!!! This tourney has been a BLAST!!! I pity the hockey fan that's missed out....

and YES!!  THE GREAT ONE is definately in GF!!! KVLY had a shot of him in a suite in the Ralph at the USA-SWEDEN game!!!  ESPN didn't show him (out of courtesy I guess :silly: ) - might be the worst kept secret EVER ;)  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ESPN had a shot of him in the third.

I'm jealous of you guys in The Forks this past week. What an opportunity to watch some outstanding hockey! I was really hoping Lee would bury his break-a-way chance, I bet the place would have erupted.

Enjoy the games. :D