SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Here's where I'm at. There are currently two definite depth guys (5, 11) and one more potential (13). My hope would be Berg / another as talented as you can get player (over depth) if 13 goes. My reasoning is you have to handcuff Berry with as few depth guys as possible. I completely agree with your thought process if I trusted Berry to play talent and have the depth guys be the 13, 14, 15 Forwards. I don't trust that though. 

This. Last season Berry reminded me of former Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. When Gardy had scrappy utility player Nick ("I slide into first base") Punto on the roster, he'd play Punto in like 125 or 135 or even 150 games, instead of the 80 games he deserved to play in. Punto was Gardy's safety blanket, and Gardy couldn't not play Punto. 

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

If he was 5’10” he would have been drafted last year :) 

Ah, I see. You're saying that they "pad" heights and weights, like a HS basketball roster. (My son somehow grew two inches the day they measured, or "measured," for the roster.)

I'm still really excited for Livanavage though. Guys like Lane Huston (listed at 5'9", 155 lbs) have shown that smaller players can excel in college hockey. (Not saying Livanavage=Hutson, but a boy can dream, right?)

36 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Ah, I see. You're saying that they "pad" heights and weights, like a HS basketball roster. (My son somehow grew two inches the day they measured, or "measured," for the roster.)

I'm still really excited for Livanavage though. Guys like Lane Huston (listed at 5'9", 155 lbs) have shown that smaller players can excel in college hockey. (Not saying Livanavage=Hutson, but a boy can dream, right?)

Absolutely….I was blown away Livanavage didn’t get drafted last year. Not sure what the reasoning was because (as you noted) smaller players, including dmen, are getting drafted higher and higher as the game is turning more towards skill.

My only guess was that’s he’s significantly smaller than he’s listed as…or that his D is not good. He’s always played on juiced up jr teams so who knows how good his “D” really is. 

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

When I was in JV basketball our coach did the opposite. The varsity squad had 3 starters and a few bench guys that were over 6'-0", but the roster had them all listed at 5'-11". Coach wanted the opposition to underestimate what they were up against.

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Unfortunately, this feels like he's probably gonna go. Ugh.

Agreed. Definite blow to the forward group, but also interested in the domino effect. Really hope this will not change what 13's decision will ultimately be.  

10 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Wouldn't Caulfield be a free agent at this point?  I thought having completed 4 years of college and not signing..

I see Pittsburghs move as getting what they can while they can.

I believe he would become a free agent in August. If a team trades for his rights, they must think they can sign him. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DL Sioux said:

A team has the rights of an NCAA player until 30 days after the player leaves the college.

According to the Googler!

But, there's a four-year limit on that. That's just stating the player can't start on a new team officially until 30 days after they leave.