SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

49 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

Are you sure? There may be some truth to that rumor.  We only recently get players from the NTDP that committed before they went there or they’re from the area.  The U17 head coach (former U18 assistant) is from Grand Forks and has been with the NTDP for awhile. His father worked for the WCHA/NCHC at both Ralph’s every home weekend  for 30+ years. Does anyone know why there’s not a positive recruiting pipeline relationship there? I find it odd with that type of connection that we don’t have a single recruit from the NTDP right now, last year, or hardly at all recently. Clearly the NTDP has taken over (from Shattuck) as the “honey hole” for top US born college hockey prospects in the past ten years or so. Located in Ann Harbor, they are the best thing to happen to Michigan Hockey  in the past 50 years as kids love it there and commit to stay there. But Minnesota, BU, BC , etc have gotten their fair share of high-Enders from the NTDP and we have gotten 0 lately. (Unless they are from the area or committed before they went there). Does anyone know why? 

It hasn't been in Ann Arbor for a few years now. Moved to Plymouth.

3 hours ago, dustnyou said:

Are you sure? There may be some truth to that rumor.  We only recently get players from the NTDP that committed before they went there or they’re from the area.  The U17 head coach (former U18 assistant) is from Grand Forks and has been with the NTDP for awhile. His father worked for the WCHA/NCHC at both Ralph’s every home weekend  for 30+ years. Does anyone know why there’s not a positive recruiting pipeline relationship there? I find it odd with that type of connection that we don’t have a single recruit from the NTDP right now, last year, or hardly at all recently. Clearly the NTDP has taken over (from Shattuck) as the “honey hole” for top US born college hockey prospects in the past ten years or so. Located in Ann Harbor, they are the best thing to happen to Michigan Hockey  in the past 50 years as kids love it there and commit to stay there. But Minnesota, BU, BC , etc have gotten their fair share of high-Enders from the NTDP and we have gotten 0 lately. (Unless they are from the area or committed before they went there). Does anyone know why? 

The comment was that they are steering them away from UND; not that they aren’t steering them to them.  They may not be actively pushing kids to us but looking at the last 10 years it’s hard to say they’re steering kids away from us (Ausmus, Thompson, Sanderson, kleven, Caulfield, Hain). I’m sure I’m missing some. I think a lot still has to do with geographically where the NTDP is getting kids. Still hard to talk an East Coast kid into wanting to come to Grand Forks.

if Laurila doesn’t end up at UND (and Lindberg if he’s at NTDP) that would raise a red flag to me.

I would actually argue during the Hak years it appeared moreso that someone was steering away. Seems like there were a ton of decommitments (not just to us) and bolting to the CHL.

This is the week I think we really see some real movement in the portal. Here is my wishlist:

Defenseman:

• Palocsik: Dartmouth - Currently the Top RHD in the portal
  • Pyke: Alaska - Currently the Top LHD in the portal
  • Krys: Brown - Currently the #2 RHD in the portal

Goalie:

• 1A: Haider - Clarkson
  • 1B: Persson - Miami

1 hour ago, AJS said:

This is the week I think we really see some real movement in the portal. Here is my wishlist:

Defenseman:

• Palocsik: Dartmouth - Currently the Top RHD in the portal
  • Pyke: Alaska - Currently the Top LHD in the portal
  • Krys: Brown - Currently the #2 RHD in the portal

Goalie:

• 1A: Haider - Clarkson
  • 1B: Persson - Miami

I'd switch Pyke (LH) for Mason Klee (RH, D, RPI). His brother is a UND F recruit.
Rationale? Don't take LH D minutes from the freshmen with a safety blanket named Pyke. 

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd switch Pyke (LH) for Mason Klee (RH, D, RPI). His brother is a UND F recruit.
Rationale? Don't take LH D minutes from the freshmen with a safety blanket named Pyke. 

Never seen either personally, but seems like talent wise, these two aren't in the same category. If you're thinking Klee is going to be playing Top 4 minutes, we're in trouble. The issue really, is you need a legitimate high end #1 pair guy (Pyke would be) and another Top 4 guy. I believe it was last year, the US Junior team had almost every D-man was LH. Realistically, guys are going to have to play on their off hand next year. 

A lot of next season is riding on the portal.

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd envision Klee as a true 9th D option for the unspeakable. 

Nothing against Pyke but I want our LH D to develop and not give the coaches a "safety binkee". 

Then have Pyke play on his off hand. Palocsik and Krys are a given. What other RHD do you see that are legitimate Top 4 guys? I was hyper focused originally on both portal guys being RHD. I just don't think it's realistic. Honestly, overall, how many Top pair guys are there in the portal for what you hope would be a playoff team? Like 4? How many 2nd pair guys? Like 8? It's a daunting task this Coaching staff is trying to complete right now.  

37 minutes ago, AJS said:

Never seen either personally, but seems like talent wise, these two aren't in the same category. If you're thinking Klee is going to be playing Top 4 minutes, we're in trouble. The issue really, is you need a legitimate high end #1 pair guy (Pyke would be) and another Top 4 guy. I believe it was last year, the US Junior team had almost every D-man was LH. Realistically, guys are going to have to play on their off hand next year. 

A lot of next season is riding on the portal.

Scary thought that we are even relying that heavily on the portal. IMO, portal won't matter as much if the forwards don't figure how to score goals consistently 5x5. As much as the defensive woes were exposed this year, lack of scoring by forwards 5x5 has been as big or bigger an issue the past two seasons. 

• Upvote 1

One small upside is that the young forwards seemed to improve their defensive play later in the season.  OTOH, it's hard to develop an aggressive, attacking offense if you lack confidence in the D and goalie behind you.  

Hopefully, Jake can get some pickpocketing lessons from his cousin this summer. 

Portal entrants this morning:

BC D Marshall Warren (MIN)
UMass D Noah Ellis (VGK)
Lowell F Brian Chambers
Canisius G Jacob Barczewski
Providence D Garrett Sundquist
Omaha F Cameron Berg (NYI pick)
Cornell F Jack Malone
Canisius D Lincoln Erne
Bentley D Hunter Toale

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Portal entrants this morning:

BC D Marshall Warren (MIN)
UMass D Noah Ellis (VGK)

Lowell F Brian Chambers
Canisius G Jacob Barczewski
Providence D Garrett Sundquist
Omaha F Cameron Berg (NYI pick)
Cornell F Jack Malone
Canisius D Lincoln Erne
Bentley D Hunter Toale

You would add the top 2 to the list. Warren was a first pair guy at BC. Ellis is intriguing to me. He would not be the top pair guy you would need, but I would actually like him as the 2nd / 3rd pair (or 2nd ranked portal d-man). He would be a sophomore, so not as polished as others, I've named, but high upside. RH shot as well. 

Edit: Think of Ellis as a replacement for Johnson's upside.