SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

7 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

I expect next year’s team to have significant offensive punch, so when it comes to finding portal defenseman, I’m just hoping for guys who are defensively sound. 

Just give me guys who move it and not stop, stand, dust it off, telegraph the decision, then get picked off. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Drop in replacement for Caulfield. 

Let's see what Kunz can learn from him. 

And Schloss drops this nugget:

UND likely has just one forward slot left to fill.

He rattles off 11 returnees, Perron, Emerson, Berg, and now Johannes, for 15 total ... and says one more. He's saying we're running 16F again. They must be unsure about Montgomery's health or there's another question we don't know about. 

12 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I like it, seems like a good addition. Hopefully he can come in an gel quickly. I think the talent for these kids will be there, the question will be how fast can they build chemistry on the ice.

All eye on the defense and unfortunately, I don't think we will know much about that group until the season starts. Hopefully we can land a decent transfer or 2 to help mentor all of the young guys. Who know, if this new group can get on the ice and make it work it could be the start of a fun few years.

Johannes is a fairly solid pickup. Numbers can be deceiving on bad teams but he should be a solid contributor. Big boy, was plus. One year rental but that’s fine, better than bringing in a guy like Croal early. Let’s hope he kind of “figured it out” because he’s really never produced and was in and out of the lineup at a school like AIC. So hopefully last season wasn’t “flash in the pan”. Either way he should add some depth. 

The "Schloss Drop" that they're looking for a 16th F has me intrigued ... that said ...

We still need 2 (or 3) solutions at D:
- portal
- portal
- Strathmann? Jubenvill? portal? 

(Assumed D right now: Pyke, Wiebe, Benoit, Livanavage, Komzak)

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Johannes is a fairly solid pickup. Numbers can be deceiving on bad teams but he should be a solid contributor. Big boy, was plus. One year rental but that’s fine, better than bringing in a guy like Croal early.

Not that crazy about all the major penalties and game misconducts, though.

1 minute ago, Big A HG said:

When we're excited about this acquisition as fans of the University of North Dakota hockey program, that tells you all you need to know about the state of our program right now.

Because bad programs or small programs can't have good players?

I get what you're saying and it is frustrating that we may not have more high end guys that are ready to jump in. It would be nice to get a Cooley or a Fantilli here and there, but it is what it is. At this point I'm more concerned with what we DO have and what we do with it next year.

41 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

When we're excited about this acquisition as fans of the University of North Dakota hockey program, that tells you all you need to know about the state of our program right now.

Tell me you know nothing about roster construction, style of play, recruiting balance, this kid's game in general without telling me you know nothing about roster construction, style of play, recruiting balance, this kid's game in general.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Yeah I saw that…good numbers though (including +/-) given he was in the box so much. Will def have to tame it down unless we’re way up (which hasn’t happened all that often lately :) )

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Because bad programs or small programs can't have good players?

I get what you're saying and it is frustrating that we may not have more high end guys that are ready to jump in. It would be nice to get a Cooley or a Fantilli here and there, but it is what it is. At this point I'm more concerned with what we DO have and what we do with it next year.

Of course small schools can have good players, but his one season with Lindenwood was a statistical anomaly compared to the rest of the kid's career so far.  I certainly hope he does well and can carry over his success from Lindenwood, but we're UND...trying to compete with the likes of Duluth, Denver, Minnesota, Michigan, etc on a national stage.  There's a reason this kid was at AIC and Lindenwood and there's no reason we have such a poor roster accounting problem from those in charge that we have to bring in talent from low-end schools to band-aid some major recruiting problems.

Why are so few top talent kids suddenly refusing to come here?  Are they even recruited?  Why are so many others that do commit transferring away from a program like UND?  What's going on here?  Why am I the bad guy for pointing out some obvious issues?  College athletics are almost entirely about recruiting no matter what sport, and UND is in major decline in that department, especially considering the resources UND offers.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Tell me you no nothing about roster construction, style of play, recruiting balance, this kid's game in general without telling me you no nothing about roster construction, style of play, recruiting balance, this kid's game in general.

I mostly agree with you…but the OP does make kind of a funny point. I mean, this is depth beyond depth. He’s basically had one good year. Not against the move…but we should all temper the expectations.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Tell me you no nothing about roster construction, style of play, recruiting balance, this kid's game in general without telling me you no nothing about roster construction, style of play, recruiting balance, this kid's game in general.

I "no" nothing...sure.  Let's roll with that.  We have such a strong track record of NCAA success under Berry the last seven seasons and am painfully unaware of how well Berry has managed his roster over the past 24 months.  I am stoopid.

1 minute ago, Big A HG said:

Of course small schools can have good players, but his one season with Lindenwood was a statistical anomaly compared to the rest of the kid's career so far.  I certainly hope he does well and can carry over his success from Lindenwood, but we're UND...trying to compete with the likes of Duluth, Denver, Minnesota, Michigan, etc on a national stage.  There's a reason this kid was at AIC and Lindenwood and there's no reason we have such a poor roster accounting problem from those in charge that we have to bring in talent from low-end schools to band-aid some major recruiting problems.

Why are so few top talent kids suddenly refusing to come here?  Are they even recruited?  Why are so many others that do commit transferring away from a program like UND?  What's going on here?  Why am I the bad guy for pointing out some obvious issues?  College athletics are almost entirely about recruiting no matter what sport, and UND is in major decline in that department, especially considering the resources UND offers.

I understand where this is coming from, but you're arguing two different points. You're upset about UND's current pipeline vs. UND adding a player that directly fits a need based on the available portal players. This is a really smart add right now. 

Just now, Big A HG said:

I "no" nothing...sure.  Let's roll with that.  We have such a strong track record of NCAA success under Berry the last seven seasons and am painfully unaware of how well Berry has managed his roster over the past 24 months.  I am stoopid.

My bad. I made two typos.

I shouldn't have come at ya. I'm just annoyed with the constant berating of this program. This move was a smart move. I've really liked our additions and many of our subtractions, for that matter. 

14 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Minus Kleven plus Johannes. Net better. ;)  

And we needed a guy to "wear the badge" to protect our smaller forwards.