SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

Last offseason: We're going with experience. (Senden, Hain, Sidorski, Farmer, Jandric, DeRidder)

This offseason: We're going with _________. 

As we wait for the blank to emerge, one thing is becoming clear: Berry and the coaches are not just doing the same thing over again. So there's that.

Just now, Kevin G said:

Last offseason: We're going with experience. (Senden, Hain, Sidorski, Farmer, Jandric, DeRidder)

This offseason: We're going with _________. 

As we wait for the blank to emerge, one thing is becoming clear: Berry and the coaches are not just doing the same thing over again. So there's that.

Sidorski wasn't projected to even be in the the Top 7. Let alone Top 4

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

We’re witnessing the downfall…right now. This is it. Unfortunately Bubs probably won’t survive this. Stinks because he is an awesome guy.

I’ll reserve judgement until I see what pieces Berry lands for roster additions. 
In all honesty, not one player that has entered the portal was a “make or break” player. There were some surprises, sure. Like if Gaber or Frisch would have entered the portal instead of playing another year. 
Every team will have portal losses, even the big boys. That’s just the new “fun” of being in the portal era unfortunately. 
We’ll see who Bubs can get to sign from the portal and go from there. 

• Upvote 4

The Moore optics aren't good, but if you could buy stock in next year's team, I'm going all in. Why? The Portz domino was an important one to the talent of next year's Forward group. Schlossman's article on Moore was the first time I've seen it written that Albrecht might not return. In my ideal situation, 13 goes as well and you pick up two forwards from the portal. 15F with 5 and 11 being the only "depth" guys. 

I don't like that Moore left, but there's nothing that can be done now. Is there an argument to made that with 5 Freshman coming in, you need the three remaining to be solid two-way guys? I could see that. Interested to see what they do in the portal. If they nail these (potentially) 6 portal guys, watch out. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm holding back to see what they're working on to replace the losses.

And I'm starting to wonder if notice was given that some systems are changing on the back end and guys could see they won't fit. 

That’s my thought as well. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

I'm holding back to see what they're working on to replace the losses.

And I'm starting to wonder if notice was given that some systems are changing on the back end and guys could see they won't fit. 

My fear is that the coaches will bring in like five low-ceiling but safe D-men from the portal. I don't think they'll do that, however. I really don't.

10 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I’ll reserve judgement until I see what pieces Berry lands for roster additions. 
In all honesty, not one player that has entered the portal was a “make or break” player. There were some surprises, sure. Like if Gaber or Frisch would have entered the portal instead of playing another year. 
Every team will have portal losses, even the big boys. That’s just the new “fun” of being in the portal era unfortunately. 
We’ll see who Bubs can get to sign from the portal and go from there. 

Not saying this is the case, but if there were some bad attitudes and they sat down with players and discussed issues in the year end meetings, and these decisions were what came of it, then I’m o.k. if the chemistry this year was a result of a cancerous attitude.  Would be nice if Schlossman can ask if these were expected, or mutual partings.  Maybe the realization the culture isn’t right and they needed a reboot.  Need to start hearing some positive news, either with the weather, the team, or hopefully both!

• Upvote 3