SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

47 minutes ago, SD UND said:

All I know is that when/if he gets signed he will be the most athletic person on the roster.

Is this a 2023 guy or 2024 guy?

I believe you need to be enrolled into class to be eligible.  Classes start next week 

26 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I still feel pretty comfortable with this being the starting lineup

King, Eaglestaff, Omot, Mayar, T

Really good length and athletic ability at 1-4. Coaches will have a lot of different options with this lineup defensively. Should be able to switch a lot and get rid of the dreaded high hedging. Looking for Omot to be "The Man" this year and take over games like we know he can and showed at times last year! Going to be a fun season and cannot wait for it to get started! 

Definitely a lineup/team that should be able to compete in the Summit this year! 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Really good length and athletic ability at 1-4. Coaches will have a lot of different options with this lineup defensively. Should be able to switch a lot and get rid of the dreaded high hedging. Looking for Omot to be "The Man" this year and take over games like we know he can and showed at times last year! Going to be a fun season and cannot wait for it to get started! 

Definitely a lineup/team that should be able to compete in the Summit this year! 

100%! This team will be very fun to watch!

So the non-conference looks like this (again, all per the D1 Docket)

11/7 @ Iowa

11/12 Elon

11/16 VCSU

11/20 @ Pacific

11/25: New Orleans at UCA Tournament

11/26: EMU at UCA Tournament

12/3 @ UC Riverside

12/9 Portland

12/12 Waldorf

12/16 @ Utah Tech

12/20 @ Nebraska

1/3 Northern Colorado

1/6 @ NAU

Only one that does have the date is CS-Fullerton, but if I had to guess, it would either be Dec 1st or Dec 5th

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So the non-conference looks like this (again, all per the D1 Docket)

11/7 @ Iowa

11/12 Elon

11/16 VCSU

11/20 @ Pacific

11/25: New Orleans at UCA Tournament

11/26: EMU at UCA Tournament

12/3 @ UC Riverside

12/9 Portland

12/12 Waldorf

12/16 @ Utah Tech

12/20 @ Nebraska

1/3 Northern Colorado

1/6 @ NAU

Only one that does have the date is CS-Fullerton, but if I had to guess, it would either be Dec 1st or Dec 5th

So possible return games for next year look to be UC-Riverside and Utah Tech next year.  

One thing that I will be super interested in seeing is how the rotation plays out. We all were frustrated with how long UND played a 10+ man rotation. I think we will see that again this year. I believe the talent will be better top to bottom though. This is especially true if Tyree is granted eligibility, which sounds doubtful. 
1 - Ihenacho, King

2 - Eaglestaff, Brooks

3 - Omot, Danielson

4 - Mayar, Mara

5 - T, Kuljuhovic, Mathews

A lot more talent, in my opinion, that will be harder to slice playing time. 

Edited by sioux24/7
Slid Mara to the 4 and Kuljuhovic to the 5
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

One thing that I will be super interested in seeing is how the rotation plays out. We all were frustrated with how long UND played a 10+ man rotation. I think we will see that again this year. I believe the talent will be better top to bottom though. This is especially true if Tyree is granted eligibility, which sounds doubtful. 
1 - Ihenacho, King

2 - Eaglestaff, Brooks

3 - Omot, Danielson, Mara

4 - Mayar, Kuljuhovic 

5 - T, Mathews

Huge.  Play for experience.  It probably won't go along as last year.  

47 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

1 - Ihenacho, King

2 - Eaglestaff, Brooks

3 - Omot, Danielson, Mara

4 - Mayar, Kuljuhovic 

5 - T, Mathews

Think you can probably slide Kujluhovic down to the 5 and Mara hopefully could slide into backup 4

• Upvote 1

The big thing I noticed is that on paper, for the first time in a while, there is some quality depth in the frontcourt.  Now, a lot of that depth needs to be proven of course, but UND has to be feeling a lot better about the 4 and 5 spot in the lineup.  

I still feel that there is enough shooting on the team to help offset the shooter that we lost in Norman.  I think enough internal improvements from Eaglestaff, Omot, T, and Danielson, along with 1-2 newbies/returners who can knock down open shots consistenly, can get the job done.  

T shot 38% from 3 during the conference season.  Can he duplicate that for the entire season?

Eaglestaff was 37% from 3 during the regular season but his conference numbers were lower.  Can he be a consistent shooter all year and be around 40%?

Omot shot 30% from 3, can he get that number up to around 34-36% this year?

Danielson shot 36% from 3, can he do that again this year?

If the answer to those questions are yes... this could be special.  I don't feel UND has to be electric from 3 to be successful this season, they just need to show that they can hit enough shots.  

Even with Norman, the team only shot 35% from 3 all year, which was middle of the pack in the Summit.  It goes down to 33% when you take Norman out.  You guys telling me that, as a team, they can't make up that 2%?

26 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The big thing I noticed is that on paper, for the first time in a while, there is some quality depth in the frontcourt.  Now, a lot of that depth needs to be proven of course, but UND has to be feeling a lot better about the 4 and 5 spot in the lineup.  

I still feel that there is enough shooting on the team to help offset the shooter that we lost in Norman.  I think enough internal improvements from Eaglestaff, Omot, T, and Danielson, along with 1-2 newbies/returners who can knock down open shots consistenly, can get the job done.  

T shot 38% from 3 during the conference season.  Can he duplicate that for the entire season?

Eaglestaff was 37% from 3 during the regular season but his conference numbers were lower.  Can he be a consistent shooter all year and be around 40%?

Omot shot 30% from 3, can he get that number up to around 34-36% this year?

Danielson shot 36% from 3, can he do that again this year?

If the answer to those questions are yes... this could be special.  I don't feel UND has to be electric from 3 to be successful this season, they just need to show that they can hit enough shots.  

Even with Norman, the team only shot 35% from 3 all year, which was middle of the pack in the Summit.  It goes down to 33% when you take Norman out.  You guys telling me that, as a team, they can't make up that 2%?

I think an even bigger question will be, will Sather let the team get out and run and push the pace like they did at the very end of the season last year or will he make them try play in the half court like he did at the beginning of the season?

You can combat not great shooting by getting out in transition and getting easy, quick buckets. I also would like to see the pick up your man full court type defense as well this year. Think we have plenty of guys that can be a nuisance on defense and get steals that lead to easy buckets as well. The style of play needs to compliment the type of players you have. Hoping that they chose the fast paced, full court defense, and push it in transition style of play.