SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

42 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Then if we can’t beat them it’s on us. However it hurts us in the pairwise is on us. We are who we are. 

If you're traveling to AZ for tee times before spring break is officially done you got bigger issues than playing Bemidji.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Though you may have some personal biases ... Colonel, is it? ;)  

Major, but I was only in 4 1/2 yrs. 
You are correct, I would like a 2 for 1 with them so our guys would have an opportunity to experience their campus and the history associated with it. It’s a beautiful campus on the Hudson. If anyone gets an opportunity to tour the campusI would recommend. 

47 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Why take that chance against a team that tries to win a game with a race to 2 goals? We have nothing to gain by playing them. No one has disputed my contention that playing Bemidji is like watching paint dry. I'm not saying playing them every now and again, but why every year?

For historical context, Bemidji's pairwise last year was 29. It was good the 2 years before that (10 and 12), but if you go deeper they were 35 in 2018-19, 31 in 2017-18, 29 in 2016-17 and 32 in 2015-16. They are typically going to be between 29 and 35. 

Why take a chance with any team then? Playing Bemidji and developing a rivalry with them is a good thing for local/college hockey. 
Have you seen UND in the pairwise lately? With the way we have been the last few years, I wouldn't be going around knocking other teams while saying it "hurts" us to play them. Guess what, if we wouldn't have tied them last year, we would've been in a better position in the Pairwise. If they are an easy team to beat, then we should beat them. All you need to do in college hockey is win your games, the rest will take care of itself.
It's time for our fanbase to get over this "we are better than other teams" mentality, its sickening.

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

It’s usually early in the season. It is an opportunity to evaluate new guys and line pairings. We need to be able to win games against teams that play their style. How many times have our good teams been knocked off in games where we can’t get a needed goal? It’s an early measuring stick as to where we are and what we need to work on.

If we are reluctant to play Bemidji or similar teams, then we might not be that good. I read goofy comments about “setting the bar”. We as “keyboard expert critics” don’t set the bar,  but if we have any qualms about playing Bemidji, then that’s an awfully low bar.

A small part of it is helping build college hockey. A part of it is regional interest. I like playing Army. I would guess they are usually lower than Bemidji in the pairwise. Heck we play Miami every year. 

I see that both games are in GF this year vs. the usual home and home. 

• Upvote 1

These two commits are pretty good players, neither got a solid opportunity at previous schools. I’m very curious if Strand can somehow keep Pionk and Littler. I’d also watch for two North Dakota forwards to enter the portal and come to Kato. Buckle up it’s going to be fun!

A purple Mavs fan posted this over at USCHO. Not hard to figure out they're most likely referring to McLaughlin and James since their new HC was the HC for Sioux City when those two were there. Seems like wishful thinking. Both players are looking at increased roles on the team for the 23-24 season as sophomores.

12 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

A purple Mavs fan posted this over at USCHO. Not hard to figure out they're most likely referring to McLaughlin and James since their new HC was the HC for Sioux City when those two were there. Seems like wishful thinking. Both players are looking at increased roles on the team for the 23-24 season as sophomores.

lol that’s actually hilarious if they think that. 

• Upvote 1

I saw over the weekend that Hobie Hedquist didn't finish a game and didn't play the next night. I'm hoping it was precautionary and not serious. But I also wonder what that did to thoughts about the roster. 

They're sitting 15F/7D/3G, so they need one more D but don't seem to be in any rush.
They've (using Schlossman's lips) talked about a 16F as "Montgomery insurance". 

I sure would like to know what's up with HH to make sure the current plan still works. 

She claimed that Craig Ludwig was her most rewarding accomplishment as a skating instructor. But you are correct, even the best skaters improved their skills and had their skating weaknesses reduced with her help. Not sure what Berry is doing to improve individual skating weaknesses but it is part of the game that can not be overlooked.   

• Upvote 2

On 4/14/2023 at 2:32 PM, brianvf said:

Expected Roster as of 4/14/23 -

Going by a somewhat typical 26-man roster (15 F / 8 D / 3 G):

Forwards (15)
Fr - Emerson / Perron
So - Blake / James / McLaughlin / Strinden / Montgomery (RS)
Jr - Schmaltz / Kunz / Berg
Sr - Gaber / Jamernik / Ness
Gr - Albrecht / Johannes

Defense (8)
Fr - Benoit / Komzak / Wiebe / Livanavage / Strathmann
So - Zmolek
Gr - Pyke / Pehrson

Goalies (3)
Fr - Hedquist
So - Johnson
Sr - Persson

Portal and/or Recruit
D - Maybe one more (depending on Strathmann decision on playing another year of juniors)
F - Maybe one more (been hinted that we might carry 16F again this year)

@brianvf, is this the most current projected roster?

3 hours ago, mattim said:

She claimed that Craig Ludwig was her most rewarding accomplishment as a skating instructor. 

She really got the 6'3"+ guys to learn to skate (Ludwig, Commy at 6'4"). 

A true guru; a "tree" whisperer. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

@brianvf, is this the most current projected roster?

Personally, I'd only claim 7D because Strathmann is up in the air about another USHL season. I suspect if he or the coaches have any doubts another USHL year is far better than a "suit season". Otherwise I'm in concurrence with brianvf. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Personally, I'd only claim 7D because Strathmann is up in the air about another USHL season. I suspect if he or the coaches have any doubts another USHL year is far better than a "suit season". Otherwise I'm in concurrence with brianvf. 

Then, while we wait for another defenseman, maybe I can goose the process by saying: It might be early summer before we hear anything about another defenseman.

15 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Then, while we wait for another defenseman, maybe I can goose the process by saying: It might be early summer before we hear anything about another defenseman.

Well the coaches are in Florida this week for the Spring Meetings. 

On 4/20/2023 at 1:42 PM, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

It hilarious if they think they can get one of them. If they think they can get both, it's absolute comedy gold.

Not sure that's much more than speculation from one person. It was the first I heard of it

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

... where the majority of the meetings are held on tee boxes, fairways, greens, or the 19th Hole. ;)  

Ha. I haven't anything yet. It appears that nothing really has leaked from the meetings yet. 

10 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Is Schlossman covering the meetings in person?

You'd have to ask Schloss. I haven't been paying attention. Been focusing on the Bruins systematically taking down the Panthers.