SiouxSports.com Forum

Lunatics @ hawks Saturday thread

gfhockey

UND is near the top in the nation in fewest shots allowed per game, and is dead last in save percentage.

We’ve played one more game than SCSU, given up 3 more shots on goal for the year, and have given up 33 more goals.

Sure there could be better D, better back checking… but don’t kid yourself, the issue for this team is one dimensional.

By almost any other metrical this team is very good.  The goalies just aren’t stopping the puck.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Not a hockey expert but I noticed 2 errors that resulted in goals

we failed to clear the zone when they were on the man advantage, they kept it in and scored, clear the puck and penalty time is over

puck is 9n the corner boards and all our players are in or around the scrum, they clear the puck to their guy in front of the goal and score

i don’t know where each player should be but I would think someone is responsible to cover their players 

2 simple plays that cost us the game 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I keep saying this but gets ridiculed , Berry is a great assistant but not a head coach , maybe too nice a guy. Will more the likely miss the playoffs for the 3rd time in his tenure. This team hasn’t improved all year no matter how much coach speak we get every week. Time to move on before we don’t matter at all. 

We are well on our way to becoming Wisconsin. And that is simply unacceptable. If Berry cannot fix it, he needs to go. And if that means "spending other people's money" to buy him out, then so freaking be it. This isn't high school athletics where it's all about "teaching life lessons". The clock is ticking people.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I get it, but anyone who knows hockey sees that these are point blank shots. Goalies aren’t saving the day but the shots we do allow are point blank. Dzone coverage is atrocious.

I don’t know that the shot charts and effective shot percentages back this up.   I can’t find anything to quantify that assertion. 

There’s no question that there are lapses.  Are those lapses statistically significant or are they more noticeable and memorable due to the puck ending up in the net at a much higher rate when confronted with those situations?  It probably a little of both.

The quiet parts are now going to be said:

9 and 17 are defensive liabilities. See: WMU seventh goal. Four white jerseys at the boards and a shooter sitting open in the slot. They need to be split up. 

10 and 19 need to sit. Put in 18 and 26. At this point it's about next season's roster and seeing who can develop over the next 12 games. 

Our defensemen need to stay on their feet! One of the goals 24 and 3 were both down on the ice trying to block passes and instead hung out 1 worse as they slid through the play. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

9 and 17 are defensive liabilities. See: WMU seventh goal. Four white jerseys at the boards and a shooter sitting open in the slot. They need to be split up. 

10 and 19 need to sit. Put in 18 and 26. At this point it's about next season's roster and seeing who can develop over the next 12 games. 

Our defensemen need to stay on their feet! One of the goals 24 and 3 were both down on the ice trying to block passes and instead hung out 1 worse as they slid through the play. 

Well, 9 and 17 were going to be so busy scoring that they didn’t need to help on D. (Dripping with sarcasm)…

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

9 8 10......17 22 26....21 20 18....other line mix and match but 29 needs to be in the mix.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Then they need 25 to stay (doubtful) or convince 15 to stay for his Covid season and wear the C. 

He has no business unless he’s already graduated. He’s not a bad player but pro hockey is not forgiving. I’d stay and develop another year. He’s young, no need to rush things. Unless he doesn’t like the direction the program is going.

7 minutes ago, jk said:

I sadly but apparently thankfully missed it.  Curious how Kunz looked.  I've felt his first step has been a touch slow this year. 

First step is really slow for college hockey. But he played well. Especially early.

38 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Well, 9 and 17 were going to be so busy scoring that they didn’t need to help on D. (Dripping with sarcasm)…

When 17 “forgot” to cover that guy out front I was like oh boy. We get on squirts for that. His weak backhand to clear the zone later in the game was terrible as well. Should have just eaten it on the wall.

similar to 25, not sure what the point of leaving would be. I’d spend another year developing. 

10 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

When 17 “forgot” to cover that guy out front I was like oh boy. We get on squirts for that. His weak backhand to clear the zone later in the game was terrible as well. Should have just eaten it on the wall.

similar to 25, not sure what the point of leaving would be. I’d spend another year developing. 

All 25 is doing is developing bad habits. He needs to go to the next level to learn life’s hard lessons and grow. Cross check to the head = fist in the face…

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

All 25 is doing is developing bad habits. He needs to go to the next level to learn life’s hard lessons and grow. Cross check to the head = fist in the face…

I think he needs to get more O to his game. Doesn’t see the ice overly well. The A is a ton faster than college puck